Newbie Question

I am happy with my benjamin trail np. Not the most accurate thing but good if it wants to cooperate with me. The new NP2 is only $30 more than your budget I would say it could be a nice beginner gun. The benjamin 392 would probably be more accurate but it is really set up for iron sites though you can get a scope setup for it. It depends if you mind pumping or not.The trail also comes with a decent scope so you are ready to shoot straight out of box.

Have you considered getting a used gun? That could get you into a higher level of air gun for your money. There is a buy/sell section on this site. Almost 20 years ago I bought a RWS 34 in 22, a decent entry springer made in Germany. I made many great shots with it and got tremendous use out of it. The range is limited as it runs 660 to 670 fps with 14.3 gr lead pellets. For me it is a 25 to 30 yard gun with iron sights. My go to gun is a Marauder in 25 cal. with a Hawke scope but this is way out of a $200 budget. This high power air gunning thing can easily get very expensive. You can go rim fire far cheaper and get so much more for your money. I have a CZ 452 in 17 mach 2 with a decent scope and a Yo Dave trigger kit. Total cost $700, and you get a blued steel and walnut bolt gun with a fantastic bbl. It would cost you over $2500 to even come somewhat close to it with an air gun with a carbon fiber fill bottle. If you want to go high power air guning you WILL be spending some money, as in no less than $1000 for a budget setup. I am in over $1300 on my Marauder and carbon fiber bottle setup. That said I love shooting my air gun. I can shoot it around the house and that is not possible with my CZ 452s.

By the way, there is a Marauder 25 cal. give away on this site. Act quick as there is not much time left. You would still need a fill station and scope that would be out of your price range. This gun is what I use and it is a tree rat killer.

"bill_dd97"Are you thinking about a break barrel or multi pump?

I'm not sure what to suggest for break barrels as there are many available in your price range.

For multi pump there is the Benjamin 392. I have a 25 year old 347, that's a .177. It's still just as strong as new.
Wow
I startedd pretty much with the Crossman 392 and still have it.... got many squirrels with it.... I enjoy the gun...
No spring kick either...... and can be accurate enough to hunt with... I think it is a great starter.... and it is not hold sensitive 

Ray022085: I am also a prisoner of the Hell that is New Jersey. Potentially the most important thing to consider in your purchase is this: airguns are legally defined as firearms, and ANY equipment, whether original or added on after purchase, that moderates the muzzle report IN ANY WAY is a second degree indictable offense (crime) to simply possess! A "moderated" airgun, whether it comes out of the box like this, or you add a moderator (Hugget, TKO, etc), it is legally a SILENCED FIREARM, which is illegal. The NJ State Police circulated a letter to all retail FFL holders telling them that they had to either ship them back to the manufacturer, sell them to another retail shop out of state, or get some ridiculous license allowing them to possess/sell silenced firearms...or face the consequences (probably fines, maybe a loss of their FFL...who really knows?) Ridiculous but true. Benjamin Marauder, many Umarex and Gamo models, most high-end PCPs, even Benji Trail models with shrouded barrels could get you in a world of trouble (by comparison, possession of hollow point bullets while committing a crime, loaded in a high capacity magazine are simply 4th degree offenses...makes NO sense!).
All is not lost: Benjamin/Crosman, Gamo, Umarex, RWS, etc offer plenty of non-moderated models, most of which are based on the same power plants slinging lead from the "illegal" ones. You've got to take it upon yourself to do the research, though, and buy appropriately. You cannot depend on the kid behind the counter at the local Dick's sporting goods to know what he's selling you. A lot of places that used to sell airguns just got out of it because of the lost interest from these new laws. Also, you will need your firearms ID card to purchase an airgun in NJ. You don't have to register it, you just have to show your ID card, and pay more for it than you could get it from Pyramyd (one place tried to charge me a $40.00 transfer fee, just for ordering a gun from Pyramyd and having it shipped there). Can't have it shipped to your house, of course, because it's a firearm;(. Sorry if I'm being a bummer about this, I don't mean to be. I just want to fill a fellow resident in on laws that are not always readily or easily available. I hunt exclusively with airguns, and have a ball doing it. If there's anything I can do to help you, shoot me a PM.

Nah, I have a Browning Leverage and a Crosman NP that have zero moderation. They are both plenty quiet for backyard shooting, and are only a tad more noisy than a Benji Trail with shrouded barrel. I typically have any new gun shipped to a friend in PA, to avoid the whole nonsense here. It's funny, NJ only gives you a hard time if you PURCHASE an airgun within state lines. If you buy it outside the state, they don't want to know about it. I bought a Benji Marauder right before the laws were passed. I was super pissed when I found out it was illegal (I had gotten a great deal on that gun!). There are plenty of models that are unmoderated, you pretty much avoid anything with the words silent, quiet, whisper, etc in the name. Crosman/Benjamin offers many of the moderated models without the shroud (Benji Titan, for instance, which is a Trail sans barrel shroud and weaver rail), and they are often less money than the shrouded version. 

Well, I'm sorry to announce I wasn't able to follow your advice... Over the weekend I went on a trip to Virginia and the best I saw (within my budget) was a Ruger Air Magnum which had fair reviews on Airgundepot. Unfortunately, no Benjamin 392's.... I'm not going to go through an FFL, all the local places are >$60. The problem i'm stuck with now is the thing has a 6" spread at 25 yards and 3" at 5 yards... not good considering the size of squirrels head... Oh, and it sounds like a .22lr... so no shooting in the back yard....