• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Newbie question, storing loaded?

I’ve been through this on other forums and was always shocked by the hunters that don’t carry loaded and ready to go. I guess I am the weird one 🤷‍♂️. Growing up I did a lot of rabbit and bird hunting and my shotgun was always ready to go in the field. We just practiced safe gun handling. I mean hunting is no different than ccw with one in the pipe which is the only way I carry. You just have to instill safe handling practices. I’m not even sure how you would get upland birds carrying unloaded 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I’ve been through this on other forums and was always shocked by the hunters that don’t carry loaded and ready to go. I guess I am the weird one 🤷‍♂️. Growing up I did a lot of rabbit and bird hunting and my shotgun was always ready to go in the field. We just practiced safe gun handling. I mean hunting is no different than ccw with one in the pipe which is the only way I carry. You just have to instill safe handling practices. I’m not even sure how you would get upland birds carrying unloaded 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
And "Never" a Coyote! lol

What is carried loaded and ready to go?I bet your smart enough to not have a round chambered until you see your game,right?
I remember having diner with a fellow that did not unload his shotgun before going over a fence,the shotgun fell,and shot him in the stomach,he was delighted to show us his guts wrapped in a bag around his waist,they had been that until he got strong enough for the operation to put then back in his body ,He was a very happy fellow ,because he survived and only had another month to wait,oh yea a best friend of mine killed because his brother thought the gun was unloaded....you guys are ROOKIES I am tired of rookies supporting rookies.
The truth for you Rookies is this,"All guns should be treated equally".

What is carried loaded and ready to go?I bet your smart enough to not have a round chambered until you see your game,right?
I remember having diner with a fellow that did not unload his shotgun before going over a fence,the shotgun fell,and shot him in the stomach,he was delighted to show us his guts wrapped in a bag around his waist,they had been that until he got strong enough for the operation to put then back in his body ,He was a very happy fellow ,because he survived and only had another month to wait,oh yea a best friend of mine killed because his brother thought the gun was unloaded....you guys are ROOKIES I am tired of rookies supporting rookies.
Must be pretty hard to shoot a flushed quail, pheasant, chukar, or other game bird if you have to open and load your shotgun before you can take a shot. I’m betting that most people who’ve taken a firearms safety course know one of the rules for crossing fences is to
First unload your gun. I don’t think that’s what the OP is suggesting. Sorry for the loss of your best friend, that’s hard. Was his brother walking around with a firearm thinking it was unloaded because that’s what he always did? Maybe it would have been better if he’d treated all firearms as if they’re loaded and not pointed it at anything he wasn’t prepared to shoot….seems I remember hearing or reading that somewhere….

Yes loaded chambered with the safety on. Again this astonishes me the people that don’t. If you have hunted grouse woodcock etc that way you have never gotten a bird. Lol. Never had an accident either but I’m not a dumbass either 🤷‍♂️

True safety is using common sense based on the situation. The fence crossing is a perfect example, or when raising/lowering a gun from a tree stand. It's not a short list of "thou shalts" based on limited scenarios. Because if people are only able to abide by a list, Darwin will show himself once the matter they are faced with isn't covered by said list. Practice common sense first.

Reactions: boscoebrea
Yes ,you are right.Also yes on other other points,I guess I will always get upset about gun safety and the affects negligence of gun safety has caused.
Yes so true and no explanation needed. We should always be concerned with the negligence and the effects of that negligence. Not only for the victim(s) and their families (and friends) but the perception that it leaves on all gun owners.

Reactions: boscoebrea