• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New Year Superstitions, do you have any?

Hello everyone,

Being an ole country boy from East I have been cooking up all of the various ingredients to meet some Old Time Superstitions that I was born and raised with all my life.

First thing is for Health and Well Being for the new year my folks always had a big pot of Blackeyed Peas and this morning I cooked up two pounds :p.

The second thing is for Financial Success for the new year we always had Fried Ground Pork wrapped with Mustard Greens and that is next up on my cooking today 😁.

Even if these ole superstitions don’t work, it sure does offer a mess of good eating 😋😋😋.

Happy New Year everyone 🍾

ThomasT

I am going to the doctor, maybe already tomorrow.

Reason, i am not able to lie down and breathe, but upright that is not problem, but when i lie down to sleep its like 3-5 minutes and i feel like someone pulled a plastic bag over my head / i forget to breathe.
So right now 48 hours and only a few minutes of sleep

NOT ! drinking or anything today, so aside for a sneaky cup of single malt this past and last summer it have been 3 years since i was tipsy, which is normally new years evening.
I was supposed to go to my sisters place to get something to eat but i have cancelled that.
Am going to spend the evening in front of the computer as i have no TV, have arranged my sofa so maybe i will be able to sleep while sitting upright.

No superstitions going here.

Nope, None, New Year Superstitions, not even resolutions
made a resolution decades ago, to not make any more New year resolutions and I have kept that one,,, I make resolutions when they are needed, and don't wait on Jan 1st, it is just another day,,, now the winter solstice is another matter, every day is a little bit longer

I will take that #13 bench in a match, it is only bad luck for bad folks

Last edited:
I dont think so, they tried testing me for that a couple of weeks ago, but invane as it necessitate you sleep with the gear on, and i had to return that at 9 in the morning, which is " normally " about when i fall asleep even if i went to bed at midnight.

But other than that i sleep very well and uninterrupted when i finally fall asleep, dont think i have sleep apnea TBH, rather stress or whatever CUZ my damn brain will not shut up when i go to bed,,,, or that is it will for a few days every 1-2 months then i am back to the grind i have been in for over a decade, a grind my doctor are apparently dont think is a problem, CUZ i have complained for over a decade now.

Mind you " normally " i only sleep for 3-4-5 hours around noon, only rarely do i get as much as 6-7-8 hours, that's on the rare days when my brain do let me fall asleep pretty much at once, CUZ i am of course always tired.

Hello, Thomas. Best wishes for a grand New Year. Here in the low country of South Carolina, may the good Lord help you if you don't have some Hoppin John ( steamed rice with field peas ), collard greens, sweat potato pie and a roasted pork shoulder. My wife slow boils the collard greens until tender. Then she fries them with some with some fat back and sugar. Happy New Year everyone.

I am going to the doctor, maybe already tomorrow.

Reason, i am not able to lie down and breathe, but upright that is not problem, but when i lie down to sleep its like 3-5 minutes and i feel like someone pulled a plastic bag over my head / i forget to breathe.
So right now 48 hours and only a few minutes of sleep

NOT ! drinking or anything today, so aside for a sneaky cup of single malt this past and last summer it have been 3 years since i was tipsy, which is normally new years evening.
I was supposed to go to my sisters place to get something to eat but i have cancelled that.
Am going to spend the evening in front of the computer as i have no TV, have arranged my sofa so maybe i will be able to sleep while sitting upright.

No superstitions going here.
Good luck hope all goes well .I also have a Dr. Appointment 2 January what away to start out the year, huh?

We are adding 4 more benches on our range which currently has 10 benches. We will have a total of 14 benches. Some club members don’t want us to have a #13 bench so we might have to skip that number. That would not bother me though. :rolleyes::unsure::whistle:
Hello @igolfat8

Thirteen is my lucky number ;).

Hope ya'll keep all 14 benches full this coming year. What a great asset for you area.

EDIT:

Hey put your best shooter on that #13 ..... :p 😁 :D

ThomasT

Last edited:
Hello, Thomas. Best wishes for a grand New Year. Here in the low country of South Carolina, may the good Lord help you if you don't have some Hoppin John ( steamed rice with field peas ), collard greens, sweat potato pie and a roasted pork shoulder. My wife slow boils the collard greens until tender. Then she fries them with some with some fat back and sugar. Happy New Year everyone.
Hello @Nattboy

Well slap my mouth, you can sit at my table anytime you wish. I have a pan of Collards already cooked 😋 😁

ThomasT

Reactions: Nattboy
Real food right there.

I'm not superstitious at all but every new years eve I put 3 red marbles in my left front pocket and 4 in my right rear (any color at all is fine for this pocket !) I also make sure to stand on one foot as the new years rings in but only the eastern time zone US. If I needed all the same color marbles or had to be on one foot vs the other? That would be nuts.. So I don't consider myself to have any weird beliefs at all. Happy New year!

My wife thinks we need to watch the New York City ball drop for good luck. Me -- none

IMG_20230731_162619.jpg

Hello everyone,

Being an ole country boy from East I have been cooking up all of the various ingredients to meet some Old Time Superstitions that I was born and raised with all my life.

First thing is for Health and Well Being for the new year my folks always had a big pot of Blackeyed Peas and this morning I cooked up two pounds :p.

The second thing is for Financial Success for the new year we always had Fried Ground Pork wrapped with Mustard Greens and that is next up on my cooking today 😁.

Even if these ole superstitions don’t work, it sure does offer a mess of good eating 😋😋😋.

Happy New Year everyone 🍾

ThomasT
Southerngunner isn't just a handle I made up. I am a son of the south born in Ole Miss 70 years ago.
Black eyed peas and corn bread are on the menu for tomorrow for sure. Don't walk under ladders and cross yourself when a black cat crosses your path. That's normal right?
I wish everyone a safe and prosperous new year ,and more bullseye than ever.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ThomasT