• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New to me HW100

Just picked-up an older Hw100 Sporter in .22cal, with walnut stock. Nice rifle but with the 24 inch barrel and ugly pickle on the end it's really long. Thought about cutting off
the barrel but I suppose that would ruin the accuracy. (taking off the choke) If I remove the pickle can put on a shroud? Is that something I can do? Where would I get it? Is it diffilcult? (BHW I been shooting for 65 or so years, but new to PCP) Thanks!

You won't ruin the accuracy IF you are careful, and do it correctly. A clean squared off barrel end and a clean, burr free crown.

I just furnished shortening this two days ago. Still shoots great, and it's a LOT better looking that when it was 3ft ong. In my case, I did lose the choke that they are supposed to have, but many guns don't have a choke and shoot just fine. So far, this one's doing very good.
No one had the shorter Carbine in stock, so I bought the long version and began whittling. Only lost a few FPS, I ended up slowing down even further, so no big deal. It's got a longer air cylinder in the K version too. Overall, with the two section Huma, it's only about 1-1/4" longer than the shorter Carbine version, but...with more air.

1676302851004.jpeg

1676302999082.png

Mike

I have a .177 short bullpup . Replaced the short barrel (sorry, don't remember length) with the 16.5"ish barrel. Added a longer Ratworks aluminum air cylinder and doubled my shot count and still reduced the overall weight slightly. Absolutely love it now. So much that when a used .22 came up on AoA website I bought it and did the same thing. Hadn't considered cutting off the lonnnnng .22 barrel. Think I might give that a go based on what Mike says. I'd really prefer the .22 with a barrel length in the 18-20" range, just figured I'd ruin the accuracy if I cut it down. BTW, changing out the barrels is super easy.
Mike, I also replaced the long Weihrauch moderators with shorter Huma moderators. Not nearly as quite, but not too bad. Is this your experience also?

You won't ruin the accuracy IF you are careful, and do it correctly. A clean squared off barrel end and a clean, burr free crown.

I just furnished shortening this two days ago. Still shoots great, and it's a LOT better looking that when it was 3ft ong. In my case, I did lose the choke that they are supposed to have, but many guns don't have a choke and shoot just fine. So far, this one's doing very good.
No one had the shorter Carbine in stock, so I bought the long version and began whittling. Only lost a few FPS, I ended up slowing down even further, so no big deal. It's got a longer air cylinder in the K version too. Overall, with the two section Huma, it's only about 1-1/4" longer than the shorter Carbine version, but...with more air.

View attachment 331958

View attachment 331959

Mike

Outstanding transformation on that pup!

That rig has got to be like a surgical instrument on pest critters. Do you hit the woods for squirrel meat with it?

You can get a shorter, 41cm barrel for about $120, it makes it much better looking and manoeuvrable but you loose about 60fps
Not really, not and have room for the muffler !
Since I shortened the long barrel, I could have made it any length that I want. But with the air cylinder that's on the gun, and the Huma muffler, it's just about as short as I could make it.
Unless I don't run any sort of suppressor, but I can't do that. It needs something to keep it quiet.

Thanks guys.
No, I'm in the city, so all I hunt is little black dots on paper !
Not much room for any sort of shroud either. The barrel is .621" o.d., which is pretty large., The cylinder to barrel clamp is only about .12" thick, so there's really no room for any air gap, between the barrel, an the inside of a tube, without it hanging outside of the clamp.
I do plan on finding something to act as a shroud, but knowing it isn't going to do anything but make the barrel look a little larger in diameter !

Yeah, I'm happy to report that it's still as accurate as it was before I trimmed it.

Mike

I have two HW100 carbines. One thumbhole, other standard sporter. Both shoot lights out.
I have them for silhouette practice, and both have aftermarket cylinders. One titanium, one aluminum.
With those cylinders both rifles are not front heavy as compared to my Anschutz 1712s.
If it were me, I would buy a new carbine barrel, and try and sell the longer barrel at 1/2 price. Probably the quickest and least expensive option.
I will add that the HW100 is a dream to shoot offhand. Mine both are tuned down, and get an hour of shooting on one fill.

I did some searches on this forum, and I think I remember the settings. I adjusted the hammer ccw 1 1/2 turns, and the regulator 1/4 turn ccw. I guess I'm at about 800+ fps, but that is just a guess. It is pretty easy to perform. Here is a youtube that I followed. It probably takes 15 minutes.

For the most part the rifle is very servicable. There are a few orings that are failure points, but they are easy to replace. Very robust, user friendly design.

Would you recommend this model to someone new to pcp airguns?
Yes, definitely. These are very solid guns, Very good, adjustable (but don't normally need it) triggers, nice heavy (thick walled) barrels, very accurate, are hammer (pressure) adjustable if you like to tinker with pellet speed. Excellent magazine, no springs or plastic covers to break

Their only drawback is a tiny little o-ring, on the valve that goes into the air cylinder. They seem to like to leak. I have another HW100, that's "about" two years old. It started leaking a couple of weeks back. I did some YouTube searching, and yep, sure enough, the little o-ring on the valve.
I put a new rubber o-ring on it...leaked worse ! I put a synthetic o-ring on it, problem fixed.

And yeah, even with that, now...I have two HW100's.

Mike