• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New shooter looking at Walthers and Weihrauchs in Australia

Hi guys, first post here so go easy on me please!

I'm in the process of getting my license (required for airguns in Aus, they're generally treated the same as powderburners) and I want to get a nice quality breakbarrel. I have extensive time behind the sights of a very old BSA springer but after it shot itself to bits (probably my fault) I intended to get a license and purchase something nicer, but never got around to it. Ten years later and here I am...

In terms of nice spring guns the two W's are what I keep hearing about, being Weihrauch and Walther. I have checked out an LGV in person at a shop, and I liked it a whole lot. The HW95 seems to be the closest thing I can find, but I'm close to convinced on the Walther.

Most of my shooting will be plinking and punching paper out to +/- 50m, with some rabbit hunting thrown in occasionally. Because of the hunting, I was thinking of going .22 this time, but the reported velocities of the rifles as sold here have me wondering. The .177 is listed as 970fps, and the .22 as 625fps. I understand that pellet weight has a massive impact on power delivered, and that many rifles use numbers attained with superlight pellets, but when I plug those velocities into a fpe calculator with standard JSB pellets, the .177 seems to be significantly more powerful, and would seem to my poor little brain to have a flatter trajectory to boot.

I will be shooting fairly often, shooting with friends years back we sometimes went through 500+ pellets in a day. Ammo cost doesn't seem to differ much between .177 and .22 but it is a consideration.

Am I overthinking this? Am I missing something? Is the .22 the better choice anyway? Any and all opinions would be welcomed.

Oh, and it's nice to meet you, your forum seems like a great place to hang out, which is always a testament to the mods and members that make it that way. Thanks in advance!

It's hard to beat an underlever. Because the breech and barrel are locked in place they tend to be very accurate. HW77, HW97, TX200 and TX200MK3 are great underlever springers.
​If you want a break barrel Hw30, HW50 and HW95 would be the first ones I would choose from. The underlever rifles tend to be a bit heavier and the break barrels a little lighter.
​All of these rifles have adjustable triggers, 11 mm rails, some are available with open sights, legendary reputations and solid factory warranties.

Hey mate im in aus too. I just sold my hw77k and vglide unit last week. (Good luck finding a 97 here) the lgu is a better rifle but in 22 they are uk spec an sub 12fpe but in 177 they are 16fpe both suoer accurate. Im in the process of buying a tx200 in 22 produce around 16fpe. If you buy a hw there is a good chance you will spend money on it to get it shooting sweet. Lgus in my opinion are the better of those 2. But if you have the cash go the tx