• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New, need help deciding.

Hey im 21 going on 22, I had a break barrel crosman phantom back when I was about 15 but its not that good anymore.

I was looking to getting a new rifle, one good for hunting, powerful accurate and just all around good.

Now I liked the beak barrel but is recoil was horrible, I mean d**m, but im looking at pcps, they look powerful accurate and not so much recoil at all, now price isn't that much of a problem, my range is anything less than $600.

What do you guys suggest, I was really leaning towards the Benjamin Marauder but not to sure, help me out a little,

Thanks.

There are more choices now for PCP rifles under $600. Gamo and Umarex each have one. Of course, the Marauder and Discover have proven records. If it were me, I'd go with the Discover (only 2kpsi) and a Hill hand pump. That would leave you enough money left for a decent scope and rings.
IMO, pumping is really not that bad. Just need to have the right technique. I've done my fair share of it. 

I went with the MROD for my first PCP cuz it's quiet and it's multi shot.
I used a scuba tank to fill it. I picked up a used tank for $100.00
Then you would need a fill clamp not sure what they cost. I tuned my
.22 Mrod for 2000 psi fills shooting down to 1200 psi so I could get
lots of fills from my tank. The .25 cal. is the most accurate of the
three but you would need to fill that one to 3000 for sure and shot
count is a lot less.

Yea I'll probabaly go with the .22 MROD it's reputable and I'll just get a hand pump cause I'll save time and money with it especially if it's a good one and if your shooting a .177 those sound like rim fire regaurdles unless the gun is weak I just wish the new mrods had Benjamin engraved on the bitten like the old ones and depot has a great deal on marauders right now and only thing left to get is a pump.

The Field and Target model Marauder is canceled. 

Can you get a Roald-tuned Hammerli 850 within your budget? If so, go that route; it's a better gun, with full-on quality control, unlike Crosman these days. 

.177 is not weak if it doesn't crack like a rimfire. That depends on how fast the pellet is flying. Slower than the speed of sound (no crack) means much higher accuracy in pellet guns. A .177 domed pellet at 900 fps will go straight through a squirrel. 

If you buy a new Marauder, keep your receipt handy. They're not so consistent at making barrels these days. Better off getting a nice used one, that's known to shoot well. Don't pay more than $350 unless it's pro-tuned. Put the money you saved into a quality scope, like Mueller. 

Nothing wrong with break-barrels, but by the time you've spent enough to get a good one. You're into PCP territory, and PCPs are MUCH easier to shoot well. Hand pumping a Marauder is fine. I did it all the time with mine. They only need 2500 psi, for .177 and .22; 3000 psi for .25. Even 3000 psi isn't a big deal unless you're really out of shape. 

My first pcp is the benjamin maximus hunter in .22. Its super easy to pump up to 2000 psi with my hand pump. You can get it on crosman website for cheap with the discount code. (along with any other pcp) There is also a package deal with a pump that you can get under your budget. Saves room for trigger upgrade, tko moderator, and decent scope. I agree with smaug he really knows allot about air rifles. I have personally shot his Hammerli 850, shoots like a dream, i was impressed with the ease of the magazines. If you go with a .25 you need to know you will be having to pump more and your ammo will cost more. In the end it comes down to what your gut is telling you what to get. Remember you will be the one enjoying your new baby.