• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New Magnum Break Barrel

Hi Joel, welcome to Airgun Nation! I started my airgun journey with a break barrel from Walmart and I got the highest power one I could find. If it has mo' power, it gotta be mo' better, right?

Unfortunately for me and a lot of other new shooters, that is NOT the case. Even the most powerful .22 airgun relies on accuracy over POWA! And, add to that the fact that a magnum break barrel gun is hard to cock and even harder keep on target during the violent shot cycle, and they are very loud. The magnum power break barrel is not user friendly. They also are very very hard on scopes, and my own gun ate up the hardware on the stock after a few thousand shots.

I do not want to dissuade you from your options, as there are several advantages to break barrels (ease of use, low entry cost, simplicity) - but there are trade offs to consider.

The cool kids were shooting 50 yards when I started in airguns, now the cool kids are shooting 200-300 yards. Don't worry about what the YouTube crowd is doing. Do your thing and have fun with your airguns.

Shoot'em good!

OK. I'll pass on the Sig. if there no support.
I do "feel the need for speed"
IF? I went with The Hatsan would you go with the spring or gas piston?
Is the gas piston just sales and marketing. I read a good springer is better.
I currently shoot a Diana 56th for target. But it's too nice to bang around in the woods.
I also have a Diana 48 I've shot for years.
The Hatsan 125 sniper has the synthetic stock. For $250 I won't mind banging it around .LOL

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I currently shoot a Diana 56th for target. But it's too nice to bang around in the woods.
The Hatsan 125 sniper has the synthetic stock. For $250 I won't mind banging it around .LOL
For that price and your goal. I'd say either would work🤷‍♂️
Number 1 priority is shot placement. 🎩🤙

Reactions: wolfdog
I have several magnum springers. It depends on what you are hunting. But also shot placement is crucial.

If you are hunting Raccoon, rockchucks, opposums or something medium sized a magnum is a good choice. However they are a little harder to shoot. More recoil and hold sensitive. But with practice this can be overcome.

Use any springers for the intended purpose. IMHO hunting with them only at 50yds or less.

The 125 has more recoil than the 135. The 135 is easier to shoot. The 150 torpedo is also easier than a 125. At least that's my experience from these Hatsan magnums. I've never shot a 155 so can't help you there.

If you have your heart set on a magnum springer. Go for it. They are fun, but expect a learning curve to master shooting one. Get the spring version if possible.

Is there a specific reason you prefer the springer?
Despite being a strong proponent of the asp20, I agree you probably do not need a magnum unless your thinking larger small game like racoon. The magnums, for me, have a MUCH steeper learning curve to tame that recoil.

In terms of springer vs gas ram.....springer I can actually "easily" work on and replace the spring. Having said that, I'm somewhere we'll north of 20,000 rounds through my sig asp20 and it hasn't lost a single thing. Shoots like it did on day 1.

Reactions: DOOMRIDER
Last edited:
This is just my opinion and experience. You already have your magnum hunter in the 48. It is an excellent and capable rifle. I’ve owned and tuned and tweeked a 125 sniper and it was not for me! I gave it to my godson and never looked back. My 48 is in the neighborhood of 20 FPE. Yes the sniper was 27ish FPE but almost impossible to control. I setup my 48 as a hunter mostly as I have other rifles for target/grouping. My 48 is a T-05 and the trigger is STILL better than the Quattro trigger.

62207CC3-191C-4967-8F9C-329A5040ACD5.jpeg

CB521B13-4333-40DE-9229-80D8B92BF213.jpeg

Welcome to AGN. I have several Hatsan’s. Spring and Vortex. If you can work on them and sleeve the spring model, then it can be made very nice. The Vortex is good out of the box. Also the Vortex can be carried all day cocked and loaded, where I would not do it with a spring. Hatsan’s QC is all over the place, so if you cannot work on them you could be disappointed. They are very accurate, hard hitting airguns. If you run into trouble just post questions here. Many knowledgeable people ready to help.

This is just my opinion and experience. You already have your magnum hunter in the 48. It is an excellent and capable rifle. I’ve owned and tuned and tweeked a 125 sniper and it was not for me! I gave it to my godson and never looked back. My 48 is in the neighborhood of 20 FPE. Yes the sniper was 27ish FPE but almost impossible to control. I setup my 48 as a hunter mostly as I have other rifles for target/grouping. My 48 is a T-05 and the trigger is STILL better than the Quattro trigger.

View attachment 339959

View attachment 339960
Agreed. The D48 is basically all the "magnum" I've ever really needed. Mine is an old 1988 T01 and that thing is a tack driver of a gun. The stock really isn't anything special to look at compared to most of my other guns so I find its perfect for woods walking.

It kind of sounds like OP just wants a new toy though so I can 100% understand that. Who doesn't like new toys?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums Joe! Magnum springers sound great until you try and shoot one. Power is nothing without accuracy. Chose a platform that is accurate. Gamo has some great entry level springers that have synthetic stocks and hammer forged barrels. They are probably the best choice for entry level rifles for accuracy and bang for the buck. Hatsan QC is worse than the powerball lottery. I would steer clear of that minefield. Best Cry Once Buy Once rifle is the Weihrauch HW95.

All the Hatsan hate. I own nine. Not counting my custom 130QE 8mm smoothbore shotgun. bought 11 of them. Two of them were not to my expectations. One the speedfire bought it just to check it out. Then sold it. And a 95 with a defective trigger. But fixed it rather than sending it back. Like any product there will be some lemons.

IMO Hatsan makes a good mid range airgun. They are solidly built. 99% of people that purchase them like them.
Spend an extra $75.00 and get an RWS 48. Powerful as a springer is concerned and more accurate than the hatsan 125.
As far as I can tell $231 difference in price.

Reactions: SoCalAirrifles