• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New "Iron Mule" 58gr .25 Slug

So I received some samples from Tom to test.

he sent me .250 and .251

It's a very nice looking bullet indeed

I did some quick 50 yards preliminary test with my 80 FPE Storm that has a Career barrel on.

The bullet of course don't fit the Mags so a single shot tray had to be used.

It was a quick test, not shooting several groups and picking them

My very 1st shot I pulled ( completely my fault), after that I shot two 6 shots groups refilling after I shot the 1st with the .251s

First Impressions ?

Having quickly shot 2 groups I would say that this bullet is definitely one to look into further.

modify_inline.gif

"Nomadic Pirate"Absolutely, guns like Sumatras, Condors or tuned .25s only will benefit from slugs.

Me ? .......I rather hunt with a .25 cal slug with a good Meplat than a .30 cal pellet
Good shooting Manny. These slugs do seem to have potential. Since you use slug so often, I wanted to ask you a pretty basic question. Can any gun shoot slugs if they fit into a barrel or are there any specific barrels which are required to shoot slugs. For instance, can a cricket shoot slugs or will those destroy the barrel. . ?

"FearnLoading"
"Nomadic Pirate"Absolutely, guns like Sumatras, Condors or tuned .25s only will benefit from slugs.

Me ? .......I rather hunt with a .25 cal slug with a good Meplat than a .30 cal pellet
Good shooting Manny. These slugs do seem to have potential. Since you use slug so often, I wanted to ask you a pretty basic question. Can any gun shoot slugs if they fit into a barrel or are there any specific barrels which are required to shoot slugs. For instance, can a cricket shoot slugs or will those destroy the barrel. . ?
Well, I know that the Marauder .25 can shoot slugs, not sure about Cricket tho,.....barrel will be fine just need to make sure you know the barrel size and use the right size slugs.

Cricket seems to have potential to up the power to make it a slug shooter

Air rifle barrels are usually choked. Slugs tend not to perform well from choked barrels. Most guys that specifically shoot slugs use unchoked barrels like TJ'S and such. Slugs can shoot good out of a choked barrel, but you tend to lose velocity due to the choke constriction and many stock airguns don't have enough power to push slugs fast enough choked or not. I always have had the best accuracy luck at or above 800fps for slugs. Which once again limits what guns can produce those velocities with a heavy slug. Also, as NP said, finding the proper size is very important.