• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New idea for a crossover long range event

So I've been dabbling in NRL22 lately and I have had another one of my dumb ideas. In NRL22, they have a monthly course of fire that all of the clubs shoot, and each club usually adds some extra stages as well. In each months course of fire, they include instructions for Adaptive Class for shooters that are not as mobile as they used to be. For example, a stage might have you shooting back and forth from a tripod and prone. For Adaptive class, you would use a 55 gallon drum instead of going prone.
A club where I have been shooting NRL22 takes this a step further and lets shooter shoot the course of fire from benches. No moving, just sitting at the bench shooting the targets.

So my brilliant idea was to add an un-official FT class. Shooters could shoot the course of fire off of a seat with sticks, just like long range FT. And any stage with a lot of standing could be shot standing off of sticks.

It would be more challenging than long range FT because the NRL22 targets are generally smaller (range is 40 to 100 yards, target sizes are 1/4" to 3") and you have to shoot 10-12 rounds in 2 minutes (oops, we just lost Ron), but it might be a good way to get more use from your long range air guns. And the NRL22 rules allow slugs up to .25 caliber, pellets only at .30 caliber.

Is this something you, as a long range FT shooter, would be interested in trying? Assuming a match was fairly close and price was $20 or less? Throw a reply down here to let me know what you think. Especially if you are local to me, as this may go from theoretical to practical in the next couple of months. If you aren't sure if you are local to me, you aren't. Trust me, the people that are local to me know it all too well.

Sounds like this would be right up your alley then.
The Ruger 10/22 is without a doubt, one of the most affordable and common 22LR rifles in America.
Its odd that NRL22 still has no separate, semi-auto class.
I would have joined long ago, if they simply offered a semi-auto class.
I know one can participate with a 10/22, but its a shame they have no separate class for Americas favorite.

… And the NRL22 rules allow slugs up to .25 caliber, pellets only at .30 caliber.

….

That’s not quite right. From the 2024 NRL22 rules:

“Air Rifle division is for competitors using a rifle that operates with compressed air to fire a pellet or slug. Projectiles cannot exceed 85 grains and must be .35 caliber or lower. Projectiles must be mass produced.…”

Last edited:
Reactions: Centercut
The Ruger 10/22 is without a doubt, one of the most affordable and common 22LR rifles in America.
I know one can participate with a 10/22, but its a shame they have no separate class for Americas favorite.
PRS has a semiauto division but I have personally shot both the nrl22 and prs rimfire matches and prs is harder and really doesn't have all the stupid stages that nrl22 does at times. It's not necessary the shots but what you have to do on the stage.

Reactions: Airgun Al
That’s not quite right. From the 2024 NRL22 rules:

“Air Rifle division is for competitors using a rifle that operates with compressed air to fire a pellet or slug. Projectiles cannot exceed 85 grains and must be .35 caliber or lower. Projectiles must be mass produced.…”
That's correct, Scott. I was using the PRS rimfire airgun rules instead of the NRL22 airgun rules. Thanks for catching that.

So I've been dabbling in NRL22 lately and I have had another one of my dumb ideas. In NRL22, they have a monthly course of fire that all of the clubs shoot, and each club usually adds some extra stages as well. In each months course of fire, they include instructions for Adaptive Class for shooters that are not as mobile as they used to be. For example, a stage might have you shooting back and forth from a tripod and prone. For Adaptive class, you would use a 55 gallon drum instead of going prone.
A club where I have been shooting NRL22 takes this a step further and lets shooter shoot the course of fire from benches. No moving, just sitting at the bench shooting the targets.

So my brilliant idea was to add an un-official FT class. Shooters could shoot the course of fire off of a seat with sticks, just like long range FT. And any stage with a lot of standing could be shot standing off of sticks.

It would be more challenging than long range FT because the NRL22 targets are generally smaller (range is 40 to 100 yards, target sizes are 1/4" to 3") and you have to shoot 10-12 rounds in 2 minutes (oops, we just lost Ron), but it might be a good way to get more use from your long range air guns. And the NRL22 rules allow slugs up to .25 caliber, pellets only at .30 caliber.

Is this something you, as a long range FT shooter, would be interested in trying? Assuming a match was fairly close and price was $20 or less? Throw a reply down here to let me know what you think. Especially if you are local to me, as this may go from theoretical to practical in the next couple of months. If you aren't sure if you are local to me, you aren't. Trust me, the people that are local to me know it all too well.
Just what does Local mean in TX ? 100 or 150 miles ? 😎 P.S. I live in KY and consider 100 miles local to me .

I agree. I don't know why NRL22 doesn't have a semi-auto class, but of the PRS rimfire matches I've attended there is little to no participation in semi-auto. One match with about 40 shooters, I was one of two semi-auto shooters. At a match last weekend, there were no semi-auto shooters with 17 participants. Same with base/production class, usually just one or two shooters per match. Seems like most people just jump straight into Open, at least in Texas.

My first NRL22 match in Oklahoma I used a 10/22 and a couple of guys used AR conversions. I've since switched to a bolt gun and the 10/22 is back to being a Steel Challenge gun.

Reactions: Airgun Al
Just what does Local mean in TX ? 100 or 150 miles ? 😎 P.S. I live in KY and consider 100 miles local to me .
Some people regularly drive 4+ hours for our "local" FT matches. My "local" NRL22 match is 2.5 hours away. Anything can be local if you want it bad enough. In the context of my original post, local is more about mindset than geography.

Reactions: beerthief
I think what you want is mostly covered by NRL22’s optional “Adaptive class”. Per the rule book:

“…An example would be utilizing a tripod and stool…”

Since stool and tripods are used as an example, I bet most match directors would allow the bucket and sticks as well in their adaptive class.

If you put on a NRL22 match and made it known that buckets and sticks would be allowed in the adaptive class, you might get some interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: trlrman
I agree Mr.Hull but would like to see longer than just 100 yards .
Am I wrong in thinking NRL22 only go's to 100 ? I shot a PRS match this last weekend that went to 400 .
NRL22 course of fire has two options. 100yds max or 200yds max. I believe that 100yds is more common.

There are no airgun matches that shoot for score as far as 400yds. Closest to that I’ve done are the big bore/magnum slug matches. Those are mostly shot from the bench, except EBR where there have been a significant percentage of required standing and prone shots. I don’t forsee bucket and sticks at those matches.

I agree Mr.Hull but would like to see longer than just 100 yards .
Am I wrong in thinking NRL22 only go's to 100 ? I shot a PRS match this last weekend that went to 400 .
Did you go to White Oak? I went to Terrell Saturday and it was so windy I had to keep loaded mags in my pockets to stay on the ground. Longest shot was 302 yards but I had to hold off 8 mil to hit it with the wind.