• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New Hatsan bullpup for $650

zebra

Sep 29, 2015
New York
Just noticed the new Hatsan bullpup on the PA site for $650 - the Bullboss. Good on Hatsan for listening to customers and bringing out a bullpup at near entry-level pricing. There isn't much competition for bullpups in that price range so I bet it will sell very well.

I couldn't see a huge difference in specs compared to their more expensive Gladius except a few less features. Either way, if it is based on the AT44 QE then I'm sure it will be a solid performer for the price point. My AT44 QE tact is still the quietest PCP rifle I own. The Bullboss looks to have the same forward cocking lever as the Gladius but it also has no reg. After-market regs are easy to add to Hatsan guns with their removable cylinders though. 

I wonder if it will prompt Crossman to bring out an official Marauder bullpup. 

"TKA87"The great thing about Hatsan is the ability to tune them and add aftermarket parts and have it performing like a high end bullpup. I like to tinker and tune so if not for any other reason I would get one to build into a hammer.
It's one of the best for aftermarket parts after the Marauder and the Airforce guns. I hope someone with a lathe cuts some LW barrel blanks to fit a Hatsan breach. A number of places offer LW barrels for the Marauder already. Once you add a LW or ST barrel and a decent reg, there probably isn't much you need to do to make it perform like a much more expensive gun. 

I wish I had the equipment and skills to do a little diy metal work. I rarely use my Hatsan guns since buying some more expensive PCP rifles. It would be a lot of fun to make them project guns. I can make lightweight stocks but I can't machine barrel blanks and valves etc. If you end up buying one, I'd be very interested to see what you do to it with power and accuracy mods. 

"blackdiesel"You can get the higher end Gladius for just a little more. The Gladius has a larger air cylinder, adjustable power and the cheek piece adjuster is better. Plus some other small things such as magazine holders in the stock and it ships with a contoured hardcase.

http://grabagun.com/hatsan-usa-inc-gladius-pcp-air-rifle-22-caliber-19-40-barrel-10-rounds-black.html
True but the Gladius is even heavier and the short version is under-powered. The long version is 10.6lb. I can't think of a heavier PCP bullpup.

I would prefer the lighter version and use the extra cash for the regulator upgrade option. For $800 I would probably go with the JKhan bullpup. Better barrel and less weight. 

"Rami939"Zebra,
are you the guy that won the Ataman carbine contest here on this forum ?
If so,we are waiting on your review of it .
I am but I haven't received it yet. All of the first shipment were sold to people who pre-ordered. Apparently the next shipment will arrive from Russia at the back end of July so it will probably be closer to August when I receive it. 

"zebra"
"blackdiesel"You can get the higher end Gladius for just a little more. The Gladius has a larger air cylinder, adjustable power and the cheek piece adjuster is better. Plus some other small things such as magazine holders in the stock and it ships with a contoured hardcase.

http://grabagun.com/hatsan-usa-inc-gladius-pcp-air-rifle-22-caliber-19-40-barrel-10-rounds-black.html
True but the Gladius is even heavier and the short version is under-powered. The long version is 10.6lb. I can't think of a heavier PCP bullpup.

I would prefer the lighter version and use the extra cash for the regulator upgrade option. For $800 I would probably go with the JKhan bullpup. Better barrel and less weight. 

I really don't get the obsession with weight with airguns. I shoot with a group of guys from here and GTA and there are all kinds of different guns, everything from M-rods, Hatsans, Cricket BP and Vulcan BP. One member has a Gladius long and it doesn't feel heavy at all. My Cricket carbine is light so I have a reference. My Sumatras nor my other Hatsan PCPs seem heavy. I know there's like a 2-3 lb difference but it's no issue.

blackdiesel
"zebra"

I really don't get the obsession with weight with airguns. I shoot with a group of guys from here and GTA and there are all kinds of different guns, everything from M-rods, Hatsans, Cricket BP and Vulcan BP. One member has a Gladius long and it doesn't feel heavy at all. My Cricket carbine is light so I have a reference. My Sumatras nor my other Hatsan PCPs seem heavy. I know there's like a 2-3 lb difference but it's no issue.

Lol I agree 2 to 3 lbs ain't squat.I actually like the feel of a heavier rifle but that's just my preference.:)

B Walton got me looking at the Gladius the other night. It looks pretty good. I need a second air gun. That ping sounds awfully loud however.

When you install a regulator you normally reduce the hammer strike and it's not as loud when it strike the valve. I have 3 Hatsan PCPs and installed regulators in all of them. I can say without doubt that they sound a lot different with regulators than without. Without you can clearly hear the hammer banging on the valve and the ringing sound, but with the regulators and the hammer tension reduced it sounds completely different and quieter. If you look at some of Nappyman's video his gun sounds the same as Baxter's because he mount the camera on top of the scope near the valve like Baxter do. Most 25 cal putting out over 45 FPE are not going to be real quiet anyway but with a regulator I don't hear the ringing ping sound but more of a loud "puff" sound.

Ping is caused by a dynamic shift in air pressure causing a hypersonic soundwave to travel through the airtube. Hence depinging devices strategically positioned in the middle of the airtube to disrupt the soundwave. On regulated guns there is no percieved ping becuase the volume of air being released is between the regulator and transfer port instead of the entire air reservoir.

While the mechanical noise from hammer release can sound similar while firing the gun it is less percievable to those around you. On the other hand air tube ping is very noticale to anyone not shootig the gun as it resonates along the air tube and not just in the action.

"blackdiesel"
"zebra"

Weight tends to me more important for hunters who carry their air rifle for a day in the woods? It doesn't take long for a 10lb gun plus scope to start to feel very heavy. It also matters for people who shoot off-hand. It's hard to hold a rifle steady if it's too heavy for you. A lighter gun is liberating and more enjoyable to own. 

If you do most of your shooting from a rest then weight is less of a consideration. A heavier rifle has advantages for bench rest shooting. I probably wouldn't buy a bullpup for bench rest but that's just me. I think of bullpups as hunting guns. I buy them because they are more maneuverable in the woods and quick to get on target. 

"Nueces"

B Walton got me looking at the Gladius the other night. It looks pretty good. I need a second air gun. That ping sounds awfully loud however.
The ping on my Hatsan QE guns is noticeable but overall they are much quieter than most PCP rifles (apart from their Carnivore line). I'm not sure a ping is any worse than the snap sound my Cricket makes. Importantly, neither sounds anything like a firearm shot. Even a loud ping is not particularly alarming for the neighbors. You certainly won't need an additional LDC for any of the Hatsan QE line in .22 or .25. 

I understand that but what I'm saying is the difference between a 8 lb gun and 10 lb gun don't seem much of a big deal.to me. I don't like bullpups and they just don't seem ergonomic to me. I've shot several and none shoot as well as a traditional rifle to me. I shoot from a Caldwell magnum fieldpod 90% of the time. I also use Primos shooting sticks and weight is no problem. I don't do any hiking with my guns but I do hike with a heavy camera, lenses and tripod and I'm sure it's more than 10 pounds.

"zebra"
"Nueces"

The ping on my Hatsan QE guns is noticeable but overall they are much quieter than most PCP rifles (apart from their Carnivore line). I'm not sure a ping is any worse than the snap sound my Cricket makes. Importantly, neither sounds anything like a firearm shot. Even a loud ping is not particularly alarming for the neighbors. You certainly won't need an additional LDC for any of the Hatsan QE line in .22 or .25.
I agree, I was pointing out that the reason Baxter's gun sound loud in his videos is because the camera and mic are mounted on the scope just above the valve so the mic is picking up sound that's normally would not be so loud.