• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New Guy

Brand new here.... I know nothing about airguns except internet research. There don't seem to be any local stores nearby.

i have lots of questions.

it looks like a Benjamin marauder .25 may be a good intro pcp gun. I don’t know about the scopes included with the package deals are any good and at what ranges ( are there red dot sights for air rifles?) , best way to recharge ( is a pump adequate for backyard shooting while trying not to break the bank?) , caliber, how quiet?, etc.

any information at all is greatly appreciated. Also, living in SW Florida looks like backyard target/pest control is ok even in a residential area. 

Thank again for any help.

First question-air source? Do you have or are you planning to buy a scuba or carbon fiber tank or will you be using a pump? If you're pumping consider the .22 caliber instead of the the .25-it will get a lot more shots per fill. If you mainly hunt and pest pumping the .25 will be doable as long as you don't have any physical issues since you'll rarely take more than half a dozen shots (unless you have lots of pests!) and if you top off after each shooting session with a few pumps you can stay charged up.

As to scopes-get one with a mildot or similar reticle with multiple aim points to help you with distance shooting. The dots will give you points of aim at different ranges and you'll want to make a chart of the holdover at different ranges. Get one with adjustable focus/parallax. The Hawke Vantage series scopes are decent and not too pricey.

Ser335

That's exactly the way I started five years ago. I bought a .25 Synthetic Marauder with a Benjamin Hand pump and a 4-12x44 Leapers scope. No regrets. Spent a ton of money since then.

I've owned the .25 and the .177 Marauders and both were spectacular guns. Tried a .177 Discovery and it's not even in the same league.

I tried the .22 Gamo Urban for about a month and it was an impressive little rifle.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Marauder , Gamo Urban, or a Umarex Gauntlet to tell ya the truth.

I've never owned a Center Point scope, but have had my share of Leapers and UTG scopes and the ones I had were very reliable.

This is a great buy for the money and I've owned several of them over the years. Also the rings come with it.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/UTG_3_12x44_AO_SWAT_Accushot_Rifle_Scope_EZ_TAP_Illuminated_Mil_Dot_Reticle_1_4_MOA_30mm_Tube_See_Thru_Weaver_Rings/3493

You'll need a set of these to mount those rings to a weaver rail.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/UTG_11mm_3_8_Dovetail_to_Weaver_Adapter_2pcs/4148

Decide on a hand pump and you're set.

Fuss

Great advise from Camp Fussell, only thing I'd suggest is where your eyes are comfortable. 12X for longer target shooting is difficult for some. As far as a pump check out Walmart.com they had one for under 40.00. Another option if you decide on a package you might want to post a Want To Buy. There are both good and bad tales from such, a careful search could get you a tuned ready to shoot package. 

Instead of asking your budget I will tell you what I got and glad I did,the Gamo Urban .22 pcp.;it is a repeater,quiet enough ,accurate,light and I got it new for $200 on sale online from Wal-Mart,I already had a Hill pump,that cost me $150 ,used ,butt barely.Scope, I agree do not think you would need anything over 12 power,all depends how far you gonna shoot.

So with a budget of around $600-700 that should work....now if you get a Marauder I think a .22 and are you in good shape to use a hand pump,if not and sooner or later you will want to find an easier way to fill your PCP with air....just saying that will cost you just as much as the Maruader.

Air rifles are Fun and no more than A good set of tires,have no idea why I wrote that..

"No stores" around eh?

Marauder in particular ( and just to see one as they may not know much about em) , maybe try Ace hardware- they do carry all crosman if they like- and or any sporting store, I've seen a common mix box display of crosman pre-charged issued to many sporting store recently.

And you are in Fla. ? MANY airgunners around you. Get with one.some you'll learn more in one day than reading for ages and most folks are ever so friendly. several excelent clubs in Fla also and well worth a drive if it helps nail down the "right" airgun for you.

John

Thanks again.

i think I’m researching too much....should probably just go with entry level ( marauder) and move on from there.

i had someone tell me about. Brodcock Compatto but it’s just getting more confusing....lol.

Any thoughts on cheap compressors like the Yeng Hong ...only $80 more than a decent hand pump.....is it more Chinese junk or serviceable?

Instead of asking your budget I will tell you what I got and glad I did,the Gamo Urban .22 pcp.;it is a repeater,quiet enough ,accurate,light and I got it new for $200 on sale online from Wal-Mart,I already had a Hill pump,that cost me $150 ,used ,butt barely.Scope, I agree do not think you would need anything over 12 power,all depends how far you gonna shoot.

This describes what I've done as well. Gamo Urban for $190ish on sale both at Amazon and Wal-Mart at the time of purchase. I've found the FTTs shoot a bit better at 50+ yards than the Crosman Piranha but for the plinking I do into ant beds it works fine. Keep an eye on the member classifieds, I purchased my Hill MK3 hand pump from a fellow member, and it works well. I am using the Gamo Adjustable Objective 3-9X40 Scope [Item # 6212039X40AOCP-001] and find it works just fine at the 20-65 yard distances I plink at. Modifications include removing the barrel band for a floated barrel and trigger pull adjustment.

If you go the route I did, and because you live in a humid environment, these links may be helpful:

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/gamo-urban-22-wandering-poi-caused-by-barrel-band-fixed/

Looks like the Gamo Urban is the BSA Buccaneer (minus wood stock) -- https://youtu.be/Kq_jYpCUzl4

I live in a humid environment and found this modification useful: https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/who-uses-a-pre-compressor-filter-desiccant-when-direct-filling-a-gun/#post-429106

Welcome from another new guy. I'll tell you how I got started in this game. It was with a lowly $80 Walmart break barrel Crosman F4. I know this would not seem to be the most exciting route but what it did was get me shooting a pellet gun. It showed me the limitations of both myself and secondly in mastery of my equipment. This also gave me the chance to study and identify the path I wanted to follow in the sport without a large budget outlay. After a few years my skills improved and the squirrel body count built up I began to see more clearly which direction I wanted to follow. For me it turned out to be with the challenge of the primitive style spring power plant. I have found that by taking the time with shooting, because that's what you need to do with a springer, I was forced to make my shots count. I'm not so sure I'd be doing that with a PCP, given their luxury of 10 multiple shots. Just what worked for me. ..YMMV.

There are a lot of great people on this forum with a wealth of information and a true selfless desire to help. Sit back, read, learn, and enjoy the cammerotery.

Spaceblue