• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New Falcon Scope

I got one a few weeks ago. Ranges better than anything else I've tried or looked through. Image gets a little darker and murkier at 50x, especially at 55 yards, but still impressive. The "darker and murkier" is relative to how amazing the scope image is at lower powers and closer ranges. I'm able to focus on paper fibers hanging from .177 pellet holes out there quite a ways. 

I like the reticle. Kinda nice how it's 1/2 moa at 12.5x, 1 moa at 25x, and 2moa at 50x. 

1/8 moa clicks are more fine than the 1/10mil that I'm used to. Don't know if I like that better or worse yet. 

Turrets seem to be repeatable (having a flyer every once in a while but I think it's either this tin of pellets or a change in my lubing, so something other than the scope). I'm having a hard time getting used to the clicks and turret markings. "1" on the turret on my other scopes is 10 clicks (1/10mil). While "1" on the X50 is 8 clicks (1/8moa). So, having some growing pains when I'm clicking, say 40 clicks from zero, and needing to be on "5" on the turret instead of "4" like I'm used to. 

I compared an X50 side by side to the Sightron 10-50 on the same day, same conditions etc. The Sightron won for overall image quality/brightness, but the X50 knocked it out of the park for what I think is called depth of field? Basically, it is either focused, or not. With the X50 there isn't any gray area of, " well that's kinda clear....is it the MOST clear?" When ranging by focus the X50 snaps into and out of focus better than the Sightron, at least on the two specimens I compared and the one I now own. 

I'm interested to hear Joe's take on the scope. 

For $300-400 cheaper, the darkness is worth it, especially because the darkness comes with more snappy ranging. At least for me and where we have matches. Even our summer FT matches in the pine trees are pretty well lit, with an occasionally darker day if a thunderstorm is moving through. We never see anything like what I heard described at the Cajuns a few months ago. I heard that the targets were tough to see in that heavy canopy, thick Louisiana bottom land. So, that's something to take into account to; light levels of where you have matches or where you're shooting. 

The darkness I'm seeing at high power with the Falcon might have more to do with where I've been in the couple sessions I've had with it so far. I shoot out the back door of my garage when practicing. So, I'm in the darkness, or at least pretty heavy shade, shooting out into the bright sun. When I did the side by side comparison at our club's May match, I was out in the sun with both scopes and didn't notice the darker image of the Falcon over the Sightron. And I spent a fair amount of time with each scope, focusing on different items at various yardage. 

Hoping to spend some more time with it this morning when I get off work, I'll see how it does if I'm out in the sun (ie same light level as what I'm focusing on). 

The hard part about scope comparisons is that it's so subjective. Adjectives like clear, bright, dark, fuzzy, murky, etc, etc are all dependant on who is making that assessment. I think it's best to look through one yourself, before buying, but that's not always an option. 

Just like with everything else, there's probably a reason the X50 is cheaper than it's Sightron competition. (Or maybe it's equal quality but you're not paying for the "Sightron" name, who knows). 

I joke that the scope factory employees in China, Japan, and the Philippines probably laugh their heads off every day at us dumb shooters, paying five (or more) times as much for the same scope internals with different markings and outward appearance. 

In regards to scope comparisons, specifically in the context of field target use, a good friend says that every scope is a collection of compromises. It's up to the consumer to figure out what we're willing to overlook/accept for a particular price point. 

Some more testing: 

A friend suggested mounting it to as stable of a fixture as I could find and just working it over, focus wheel, clicks, power changes. 

I screwed a section of weaver rail to a 2x6, strapped the 2x6 to a butcher block/table, and mounted the scope on the weaver rail. Pretty solid. 

Zeroed on a dot about pencil diameter at 50 yards and went to town. I think Joe calls it his titty twister of death when he does scope reviews. I also went back and forth on the focus wheel a bunch of times and went from 10 to 50 to 50x multiple times. 

Turrets are always returning to zero and nothing I'm doing with the focus wheel and scope mag is changing the point of aim. 

Gives me that much more confidence in the scope.

Yes, it does still get a little darker at 50x.

I was playing with it a little to see if I could range at 25x and use the same marks as 50x in case I find myself in a match on a really dark day. The yardage marks on the wheel all line up pretty similarly at 25x and 50x until 35 yards, then they start to diverge. I guess a guy could have extra yardage marks for 25x from 35-55 in case you get stuck needing all the light gathering the scope can muster (again, on a dark day).

I put it back on the scope and laid out 150 ft of tape measure. Under 30 yards and this scope ranges better than my cheapo laser rangefinder. I've found my laser always rounds up to the next yard, so 10yards and 1 ft and it says 11 yards. 

Temperature sensitivity has yet to be tested. From 70-90 degrees, I havent seen any kind issues with yardage marks on the wheel. That's a pretty narrow window though. I'd like to know how it does with a bigger temp swing before I completely put my stamp of approval on it. 

Biggest cons I've found: the darkening at 50x and the 50 and 55 yard marks are mighty close for such a big wheel. They repeat to the same mark each time, but still, mighty close together (maybe 1/4 of an inch apart)?