• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New Brocock Bantam Hilite Leaking (slow) - update - repaired under warranty

Friends,

Update - AoA repaired my Bantam under warranty and I haven't had any other issues with leaking.

I just acquired a brand new Brocock Bantam Hi-Lite and am majorly bummed because it has a slow leak. I filled it to 170 bar last night and now it's down to just about 100 bar. It is not cocked - I wonder if it has to be cocked to hold air?

Any advice on what might be the problem? I've read of a few other folks having leaks with this air rifle.

I'm going to contact the retailer tomorrow and am thinking about just returning it. Hopefully, they'll offer to pay shipping both ways if I opt to have it repaired under warranty but I've always bought used so I'm not sure about what are common industry practices.

Of all the PCPs out there this model is the perfect fit to my needs (adjustable power, appropriate FPE, light, near silent, great ergonomics, etc.). However, if it won't hold air it's of no value to me. 

Thanks for any advice.

Joe

That sucks. I'd go ahead and fill it to 240 bar and perhaps the added pressure will help seal it. Other than that I'm at a loss. I have one myself and I love the size and fit, but I had a magazine problem with mine that drove me crazy. So be sure to check yours too for proper indexing alignment:

http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/brocock-bantam-problem/

Typically they will tell you that you have to ship it to them at your cost. They will return it to you at theirs. If you buck a little and point out, that it literally came from them like that and that you shouldn’t have to be sending it right back, specially at your cost, they may cover it both ways. 

This is the # 1 reason I try to buy as local as possible. Whenever possible. Good luck. 

hawkeye - Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I first noticed it was losing air at about 140-150 bar so I filled it to 170 yesterday to see if that would fix the issue but it didn't. I'll be sure also check the indexing.

intenseaty - Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to ask them to cover shipping both ways. I'd definitely buy local too if I had a nearby shop.

lets start by saying it should never been leaking when u received it ,,,i had the same happen with a wildcat through UTAH AIR,,just got it back on thursday,,,this is the process i followed so i wouldnt have to ship it back,,remember i had a different brand ,,i check guage to make sure it was not leaking by tightening up a little also i had a brass bleeder screw that was loose,, then i was told to shoot the gun to seat the o rings properly hmmmmm, never heard that before... i did end up sending to AOA for repair UTAH AIR BENT INTO PRETZALS TO ACCOMODATE paid shipping both ways,,,i do have a RAW hm1000X that to get everything to seat after removing bottle was a rapid air charge ,,filling it slowly it wouldnt hold air it just needed a quick blast and wula all set ,,the jury still out on the wildcat ,,i must call AOA tommorow to see what they did to my WC im filling it to max today and will check next weekend to c if it leaks good luck pat

"Hynzie"lets start by saying it should never been leaking when u received it ,,,i had the same happen with a wildcat through UTAH AIR,,just got it back on thursday,,,this is the process i followed so i wouldnt have to ship it back,,remember i had a different brand ,,i check guage to make sure it was not leaking by tightening up a little also i had a brass bleeder screw that was loose,, then i was told to shoot the gun to seat the o rings properly hmmmmm, never heard that before... i did end up sending to AOA for repair UTAH AIR BENT INTO PRETZALS TO ACCOMODATE paid shipping both ways,,,i do have a RAW hm1000X that to get everything to seat after removing bottle was a rapid air charge ,,filling it slowly it wouldnt hold air it just needed a quick blast and wula all set ,,the jury still out on the wildcat ,,i must call AOA tommorow to see what they did to my WC im filling it to max today and will check next weekend to c if it leaks good luck pat
It sounds like Utah Air really answered the mail for you. Thanks for the tips on what to check. I've never worked on a PCP but will do some troubleshooting once I talk to the retailer to see how they want to address it.

Good luck with getting your Wildcat sorted out. Hopefully it checks out with no issues.

"cea1960"man, you pay $1200 for something and days later they expect YOU to pay shipping back for repairs. when will this industry provide a retailer who fully inspects/tests the unit before shipping. a 5 or 10 shot string is not a test imo.
I know right - it's really frustrating. All my other airguns were purchased used and all performed perfectly.

Hawkeye - I purchased it from Precision Airguns and Supplies. I've ordered from them before (a Hill pump and some cleaning products) but never had to work with them on a repair or return. Perhaps it's something simple that will be an easy fix for me to do (like a loose air gauge or similar).

I'll be sure to post back after I get some guidance from them.

I would make sure it was empty of all air and check to make sure every thing was tight. Put a balloon over the muzzle to see if the valve is slow leaking down the bore. 
I would pull the gauge and put some yellow ( for gas ) thread tape on it and reinstall. If it has a foster male quick fill I would make sure it is tight or remove it and check for trash. 
If it is leaking down the bore then the valve stem is not seating properly. Fill it back up and shoot it . You may just have some debris causing the problem. 
I know it's new but before I paid 50.00 to ship it back I would do these things if it were mine. Leaks can be frustrating but easily fixed many times if you can figure out what or where it is leaking. 

Reactions: jp_over
Update - I did some basic troubleshooting based on forum advice and the retailer's comments.

1) Soapy water on bottle connection, fill probe, and barrel connection - no leaks identified
2) Check and tighten pressure gauge - it wasn't loose
3) Check and tighten fill probe - it wasn't loose
4) After the above I've filled it to 150 bar to see if perhaps it was the fill probe or pressure gauge.

Was the rifle empty of all air when you checked the gauge andfill port, if not pressure will give a false tight. Soapy water should have shown a leak at them anyway. 
Take a balloon and pull it all the way over the bore. If the valve is leaking pressure will inflate or push it off the barrel. 
It has a bottle so that connection, manometer, fill port or valve seat should be the only possibility for a leak. 

Guthook - it was not empty. The next time I'll be sure to depressurize first. I did not realize that pressure would give a false tight.

_
Update: I found that the leak is coming out of the barrel. The balloon test worked and then I double checked it several times with soapy water. The retailer said that's possibly an issue with the valve and not something I'd want to get into (I agree!). So, they provided a shipping label so I can send it over to Airguns of Arizona (authorized to do Brocock warranty work).

_
I'll drop it off tomorrow and hopefully get it back soon so I can actually get to shoot it.

_
Thanks to all those who provided troubleshooting tips; much appreciated! 

It is very common for a new poppet, (valve poppet) to leak a little when new. I would NOT return the AG until I have shot at least a couple dozen pellets down range to give the poppet a chance to seat. 
The poppet is usually made of Peek, or derlin, and has to seat in to the valve ringlet. On custom guns, they are usually spun to set the seat. Almost never does a manufacturer do this however. Not only is it not cost effective, and time consuming, Simply shooting the gun will seat even a slightly un-eve poppet face. At present, it is a waste of time and money to send her back to the dealer until you at least follow the standard procedure. 
It would be much like returning a Scope saying it was not a good scope because you installed it on a gun, and it did not hit the bulls eye. Even though you have made NO adjustment. LOL! ou adjust your new scopes, now go and break in your valve/poppet!

I'm very surprised that no one has advised this, as it is pretty standard in the AG PCP world. I mean, no one told you how to fix the problem, but many knew how to ship a gun back to the dealer. Is this a PCP forum thread, or a shipping and handling thread. LOL

Remember, even though it's a pita. a pcp is either going to leak when you first get it, (Hopefully not), or down the road. You need to learn how to address it if you want to play in the PCP Water. Otherwise, a springer would probably be more suited to many.