• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New .22 Vulcan Review - and first 3 squirrels.

I spent the weekend behind the trigger of my incredible new Vulcan. This gun is SO much fun to shoot. I shot about 300 rounds at paper on Saturday at different distances. The action was a little stiff at first, but everything is breaking in and cycling much smoother already. I've got the scope dialed, and everything matches up perfectly with my ChairGun App. Shooting JSB 18.1's at 900 fps. Accuracy is as good as you've heard. It's a laser beam! One-hole groups at 30 yards gets boring after a while!

Early Sunday morning, I poured a tall cup of coffee, grabbed my iPhone, and stumbled out onto the deck with the Vulcan sitting patiently on it's bipod. I sat out for about 3 hours enjoying this cooler Fall weather while mindlessly scanning through Facebook.
I have a small, suburban lot immediately adjacent to a 15 acre organic farm. The owner and I have become great friends, and we both enjoy eliminating pests with our air rifles. He shoots his trusty Benjamin 392 pumper.

Anyway, throughout the morning I managed to pop 3 squirrels at distances ranging from 20-40 yards. Each one was taken with perfectly placed head shots. This Vulcan is unbelievable. I have been shooting my finely tuned Benjamin Marauder Pistol for several years and this Vulcan is on another planet. The fit and finish is just perfect, and the experience of shooting it is very rewarding. The trigger is wonderful right out of the box, but I think I might tinker with it just a little to make it more crisp. But, it definitely doesn't need it. :)

The gun IS backyard quiet. As I mentioned before, I do live in a suburban neighborhood, and I do have neighbors on one side of my property. The impact of the pellet makes nearly the exact same sound as the gun itself. I purchased this gun from Peter at Topgun-Airguns and he modified the shroud a little before shipping it out. I don't know what a normal .22 Vulcan sounds like, but this one is smooth, and subtle enough for any outdoor shooting environment I can think of. It makes less noise than any springer I've ever heard. I removed the shroud just to hear that difference, and it was so loud that it made my ears ring! Thank goodness for such effective silencers!

I was happy to discover that the Vulcan has a "Slow Fill" feature like the Cricket. You can open the valve on your tank and the gun fills up nice and slowly. Nice touch.
My fill gauge is a little inaccurate. It always reads low by 20 bar. I have tested it against 3 other gauges on my tank adapters. I hope it settles in over time, and begins to give more accurate readings. It's not a big deal to me.

I filled the gun to 250 bar and shot 7 magazines down to 120 bar! 77 shots and no shift in POI. I could have continued shooting I guess, but I was amazed! 

This gun exceeds my expectations in every way so far. I never thought I would spend this kind of money on an air gun, but over the last few years, I have spent more time with my pellet guns than I have with all my powderburners combined. Lately, I've even made a few trips to the ranch without taking a single "loud" gun with me. I have fully acknowledged my airgun obsession, and this one really scratches the itch! HAHA!

Here's the FIRST 5-shot group at 30 yards. Not kidding.

The green laser mounted above the scope allows hunting in complete darkness out to 100 yards. Very cool toy!

"jfrazier30"
My fill gauge is a little inaccurate. It always reads low by 20 bar. I have tested it against 3 other gauges on my tank adapters. I hope it settles in over time, and begins to give more accurate readings. It's not a big deal to me. 

Hi jfrazier30, did your gauge settles a bit in the meantime?

I got my .25 Vulcan yesterday and tried to fill it with a Benjamin handpump (hope to get a charging cylinder soon...). I pumped it up, until the gauge on the pump said 230 bar and verified the gauge on the rifle which said 200 bar - and even if I pumped more the pressure on the rifle's gauge did not go above 200 bar.

Hi doolak,Congratulations on the new gun. ​I have a .25 Vulcan too and the gauge on mine matches up with my air tank gauge. I would probably listen to the guns gauge for how much pressures in it. Also im pretty sure that pumps max pressure is 3000 psi and 200 bar =2900 psi so the pump might not be capable of going an higher, just a thought though. Good luck with your new gun.

"KYAirgunner"Also im pretty sure that pumps max pressure is 3000 psi and 200 bar =2900 psi so the pump might not be capable of going an higher, just a thought though. Good luck with your new gun.
In fact I was thinking the same - thought that the Benjamin pump has a max. pressure of 3000 psi (200 bar) - used it for my Brocock Contour Super Six which has a max fill level of 200 bar... when I ordered the Vulcan I checked if the pump will be ok and I found the information that the pump goes up to 3600 psi on a sellers website.

Unfortunately the Crosman website does not state any information - will write them and ask... The gauge on the pump goes up to 250 bar / 3600 psi.

Now I continued to fill up to 250 bar (pump gauge) now and the rifle shows 220 bar. So 30 bar difference always - have to verify this at the lower levels too.

Maybe will be good to know what jfrazier30 experienced since his last post - as he wrote, he has tested it with 3 different gauges on his tank adapters and the gun always was 20 bar lower.

All that will be no problem for me at all - if I just know which gauge is showing the correct value.

But what I missed to say: Apart from that little "gauge problem" I am really impressed and happy with the Vulcan - got it yesterday and cannot stop shooting... I already have muscles like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his best times now from pumping ;-)