• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Neil Clague vs. DonnyFL

I have a .22 Cricket mini Carbine, and had Neil make a Carbon Fiber shroud for me. Along with that shroud, he sent a 6 inch CF moderator. While I don't have a Sumo, I do have a Tatsu (and Tanto). Comparing the NC to the Tatsu, they are about the same noise reduction, but have different tones. The Tatsu is more of a lower tone while the NC is somewhat of a higher tone. Both are backyard friendly. I wouldn't spend the money to replace the NC with a Tatsu, or vice versa. FYI, the smaller diameter Tanto is very close to the other two. Slightly louder, but not by much. 

I think it really depends on size. If the DonnyFL has more volume than your Neil Clague than it will probably be quieter. If not, your NC Moderator will probably do a better job. There is also the law of diminishing returns to consider. Yes, a huge suppressor on the end of your gun will be quieter than a smaller one, but after a point, the gains are much more subtle. For example, on a .22 I doubt the huge DonnyFL Emperor is really noticeably quieter than the smaller Shogun, but the Shogun will be noticeably quieter than a Sumo which will be much quieter than a Tanto.

I have a Neil Clague CF LDC which is 8 inches in length by 1.2" I think. I'll have to re-measure with my calipers. I also have Donny's Koi, Tanto, Fat Boy, and Sumo. They all have about the same decibel rating but different pitches as Centercut said. Still testing but they are close. The reason I've been sticking with Donny's moderators is the ease of ordering and the aesthetics of his moderators plus the fact that you can take them apart and try different sound dampening material. I like Donny's website because whatever item is in stock, it's just a click away from receiving it. Neil Clague's LDC's are made to order and more of a custom shop which takes a little longer of course. Both great people to deal with.