• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Need a recommendation on a new break barrel

Hey everyone, 

I'm looking to get a new break barrel air rifle. I am wanting this rifle for mainly backyard pest control, like squirrels, crows, and maybe an occasional rabbit. My budget is $300 or less without a scope. I'm really looking for the most accurate rifle I can get in this price range. Power really isn't a big deal to me. The rifles I'm currently looking at are the RWS 34, walther terrus, and possibly the weihrauch hw95 from airguns of arizona. Does anybody have reccomendations for me regarding these rifles or maybe a different rifle? Thank you for your time.

All of the rifles you mention will do the job, but please consider .22 cal for your purpose. I've owned the RWS 34, 36 and HW 50s all in .177 and I wish I had .22 for backyard stopping power. All of the guns you mentioned are accurate enough, but I find that less powerful springers are easier to shoot accurately than powerful springers. You might look at the HW 50s or even the HW30s. Good luck and let us know what you decide on!

The HW30 is a perfect back yard plinker fun all day shooting extremely easy to cock and quiet but not an ideal candidate for hunting with unless it is for close range feather or ratting.
The HW50 has less power than the HW95 and oddly enough the HW50 is harder to cock than the HW95.
The RWS 34 is harder to shoot accurately as compared to the HW95.
The HW95 has a better trigger than the RWS 34.
I don't have any shooting experience with the Walther you mentioned so I can not comment on that one.
Since you mention hunting with it, I would have to suggest the HW95 in 22 and get yourself some H&N FTTs 5.53 and Crosman Premiers and Premier HPs. 
It would be solely up to you on the caliber choice and which gun you prefer and suggest you find someone close by who has them and ask if you can have a try. I like shooting accurate guns which require the least amount of effort to hit things at long distances.
I am using a Beeman R9 that I have to reference your HW95 which is essentially the same gun but mine was overpriced.
Alternatively, I have a Chinese made BAM B20 and B26-2 in 177 and 22 both were tuned which are copies/clones of the HW95 and R9 and were the best to date $160 and $200 I have ever spent on spring guns price wise. They are worth IMO 2/3 the price of the real HWs and are selling for 1/2 price or less in comparison. I have a B26-2 thumhole stock on one of my R9s. If I were on a very tight budget and had to do it all over again I would get the B26-2 (a tuned one that has been gone through). Later on down the line if you want to further tune the HW or BAM, get yourself a Vortek kit or at least a Maccari Kit. And IF IF you can afford it, get the V Mach.
AJ

I have 2 Mike Melick tuned (Flying Dragon Air Rifles) B26-2s ... .177 and .22 cal. I don't 'hunt', but - if I wanted to kill something - the .22 packs more of a wallop at 50+ yards than the .177.

As others have said, accurate shot placement is critical for a humane kill. Regardless of what gun you buy, I hope you'll sight it in properly and train with it so that you can kill humanely 99% of the time.

You've mentioned a lot of nice rifles, but none, unfortunately, are self-aiming auto shooters. Springers are a challenge to shoot well, even for people who are crack shots with powder burners.

I previously posted i looked on AOA site and found used hw30.
They were great.$ 219 dollars later she is mine.
Got great advice from the obiwons for a nikon efr scope (JWR is the man)(not in a queer kind of way.).
Having back issues bad ones, wind out shooting the hw30 thru my window off hand.
That little gun is one accurate ,pleasure to shoot. 
Easy to cock,easy to hold,deadly accurate. So much so i want to keep it iron sight on it or put a peep.site.
hw30 is a great gun

Droop compensated BKL 1 piece mounts (the best in the business for springers) with a BKL screw in bubble level. Be sure to mount the drooper scope the correct way/direction looking/pointing down! Position the bubble level on the LEFT side (if you are a right handed shooter) into one of the open scope base holes normally used to spread them apart. Placement is key since your left eye will be looking at it while your right eye is looking through the scope (if you are right handed shooter).

Recommended illuminated reticle Hawke air gun rated scopes which have lifetime warranty. Pick your magnification to suit your taste and needs. I have both illuminated and non illuminated Hawke scopes on springers and I wish all of them were illuminated for dusk and dawn shooting and into dark heavy wooded areas and into trees.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/BKL_1_Pc_Mount_4_Long_1_Rings_3_8_or_11mm_Dovetail_6_Base_Screws_007_Drop_Compensation_Matte_Black/2895

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/BKL_Scope_Bubble_Level/3585

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Hawke_Sport_Optics_HD_IR_Series_2_7x32_AO_Rifle_Scope_Illuminated_Mil_Dot_Reticle_1_4_MOA_1_Tube/3864

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Hawke_Sport_Optics_Vantage_3_9x40_AO_Rifle_Scope_Ill_Mil_Dot_Center_Reticle_1_4_MOA_1_Mono_Tube/5007

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Hawke_Sport_Optics_Vantage_4_12x50_AO_Rifle_Scope_Ill_Mil_Dot_Etched_Glass_Reticle_1_4_MOA_1_Tube/5048

Darn weather. Blew me right off the page. Anyway, Amazon has these Crosman Optimus .22's with the same power as the Hatsan Striker 1000x or s for $101.68. https://www.amazon.com/Optimus-Air-Rifle-22-Scope/dp/B004V957DG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493315277&sr=8-1&keywords=crosman+optimus+.22+air+rifle
I got one for my son's birthday today. Can't wait to spring it on him! Swapped in my Winchester 3-9x32 scope from my 1400cs for the Centerpoint 4x32 they bundle with it that looks virtually the same. A nice rifle that's about a pound or more lighter than the Striker 1000x I have. Light and good power for what you want at a darn good price with free 2-day shipping if you have Amazon Prime.
The one I bought with heartwood in the butt stock with Winchester scope and UTG mount swapped in;
IMG_0475.jpg