• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My son Cooper finally got his first turkey today.

My boys, Alex 14, Cooper 12, have had a couple great opportunities for gobblers over the last two weekends. Today, Cooper got it done, a 75yd neck shot on a big turkey with his RAW HM1000x .25 and a Zan 33gr slug at 930fps. To say he was super excited would be an understatement. I’m so happy for him! Hopefully we can get one for Alex tomorrow morning, they’ve both been putting in the time.

Rio Grande, 26lbs, 10.25” beard, 1.25” spurs.

Have a good one.

Stoti

B536030E-B08C-4157-90FB-718BB358BA7D.1648957666.jpeg
75E666C1-6056-42D2-A6C7-076E79C55402.1648957716.jpeg
13D415BD-5BCF-495D-8AFA-3FA664E73FE6.1648957738.jpeg
24A4FAD1-C74D-4100-8D4E-D89E2B9C79E8.1648957818.jpeg

Thanks guys. The boys and I shoot a lot, mainly from the bench at targets or occasionally, ground squirrels. Cooper and Alex both really have gotten excited about hunting lately and both wanted to kill a turkey this year. We saw plenty last weekend but the gobblers weren’t responding to a call, so we tried to stalk them. Hard to do with three of us moving around.

Yesterday, we went to a different property that was much more open and made it easier to shoot at distance if necessary. We saw lots of Turkeys and had more than one opportunity. It’s pretty difficult to get a head shot when we’re spot and stalk hunting. As soon as they see movement, they’re running. We set up and called quite a bit but moved around a lot too. The weekend before we saw a pair of gobblers and tried the ole’ shoot on the count of three, we’ll kill them both! Nope! Let’s just say, it didn’t work out well, that’s another embarrassing story! Both birds ran away unscathed and the others we saw later in the day, never gave us a good shot.

Yesterday, I told the boys, whoever has a good shot, take it! This gobbler was walking away from us a bit, both of the boys had a good rest and before I thought either of them was going to shoot, Cooper let a slug fly. The gobbler took two or three steps and fell over dead. I had ranged the bird and told the boys he was at about 75yds. Coop aimed for the head, with all of our guns sighted in at 50yds, he hit a little low. No complaints though, I always tell them, a little low on a head shot is still a dead bird! Not a lot of expansion because of where the slug hit but the arteries in the neck and trachea were all severed. To say the boys were excited would be an understatement! It was definitely a great day!

So here’s the crazy part that I wanted to share…When we cleaned the bird, we noticed that the slug had gone in the turkey’s low neck, severed some major blood vessels, trachea and did quite a bit of damage. From there, the slug got to the back side of the neck and deflected downward between the skin and breast. We found the slug just under the skin, on the low breast near the top of the thigh. There was almost no damage anywhere but the neck. It looks like the slug just slid under the skin and came to rest down by the thigh, 10-12 inches from the POI. It was pretty cool to see and kind of investigate with the boys, just another part of the fun!

I’ve heard of things like this before, but what really surprised us is that the slug travelled so far from the POI with no damage to the breast meat at all. We really were pretty shocked when we found the slug.

Have a great afternoon. 

Stoti

Below is the recovered slug, a Zan 33gr. fired from a .25 RAW HM1000x at 930fps. The gobbler was shot at about 75yds, took 3-4 steps, wobbled and fell over, dead. 

3B341B9B-B7A2-4974-9C97-84C175F56605.1649012831.jpeg
7D06F620-98AE-404B-ACE3-EC9845821404.1649012842.jpeg

Thank you! I am very proud of my boys, they’re my world! 

We have Rio Grande turkeys out here. I don’t know all the details, records or any of that stuff. We’re really not concerned with that, or weren’t. Now, Cooper is talking smack to his older brother about his “Giant Gobbler”. Of course, now Alex wants to kill one that’s bigger, so he can be king of the hill. I can see how this type of thing leads to “chasing trophies.” I’m pretty sure a 26lb. Rio Grande is a big one, they don't generally get as big as the Eastern subspecies, but 26lbs. is big anywhere. A 10.25” beard and 1.25” spurs aren’t too shabby either. When we saw this one out at 150-200yds, we knew it was bigger than most we see around here. 

We were all thrilled to put one on the ground, then when we walked up to it laying on the ground, we all looked at each other and started laughing. Seriously, we all knew immediately that it was really big! My wife gasped when she looked at the first picture of Coop behind the bird. It gives perspective and shows how big it really was. For me, the main point is spending time with my boys while they’re having so much fun, seeing them so excited about hunting and watching them grow as outdoorsmen. I’ve waited a long time to be able to hunt with my boys, so I was happier than they were to see them succeed. 

Have a good one, buddy!

Stoti

Nice and congrats! I’m about to head out for a turkey hunt too…as it happens we are both in North Cal so I hope I can get one too.

Say…do you have any recommendations as to where I could go for the hunt? I’m located in Concord. Also, any extra advice on the hunt would be helpful. I’ll be using an FX Dreampup in .25 pushing around 50 F.P.E.