• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My Old Tomahawk(and a date of manufacture question)

Very special guns indeed!
I lusted after one for years and finally got a trade deal done with Lewis! Thank you brother 😉. And not just any Tommy it's a Venom Sidewinder 😜
There's a few around but a pretty rare bird here in the states!
Mine is doing about 18.5fpe at 600 feet above sea level and is extremely accurate with 14.3 JSBs. A keeper is an understatement in my book!
Would love to find another in .25 some day!
James from Michigan
View attachment 314379View attachment 314380View attachment 314382View attachment 314385View attachment 314384View attachment 314381View attachment 314383
Wow!

Your lack of understanding adiabatic pressure and the heat generated shows.. Just how many guns have you built.. I’m not talking droped a spring kit and a seal in and called it custom… I thought so. 🤔
Tommy’ albeit were great guns they had Webley warts. Ive owned and still do own several,both regular and Venom Sidewinders . The .25 barrels. in just about every Webley I’ve junked as they have loose bores and no choke.. oh yeah choke. That thing that controls heat back pressure and exit time. I don’t have time to take you through physics class but there are many search engines..

Now every Tommy owner ,please do not get upset as I didn’t just tell you your gun is junk. most will agree and most reviewers will tell you 7.5 lb gun doing 20 ft lbs can be harsh . Until you have shot one worked up you do not know what your missing.. it’s like chocolate ice cream. You never knew you liked it till you tried it. There IS NOT A BEETER WEIGHT TO POWER RATIO GUN FOR HUNTING. ..

The .22 barrels are not as bad but usually have loose mid bore and absolutely no chokes.
Venom used LW hand picked barrels as I do.. like I mentioned. They can be good with factory barrels with a tight seal to slow things dow and a bit of a top hat .. use the snuggest pellet you can. Triggers respond well to honing , DO NOT ATTEMPT IF YOU ARE NOT SURE AS YOU CAN NOT GET PARTS FOR THEM. The sears are sintered steel not plate like a CD TRIGGER .. 1500 grit stone and keep angles flat ..I had to make my last two sears from tool steel. For a 30 mm Tubed gun with the Tommy trigger.
That is great information. Thank you for sharing.

And once again, instead of actually being able to answer the question, you toss out a half ass thrown together insult and ramble on to another subject entirely.

And no offense, but anyone who can actually describe "adiabatic pressure" (it's actually "process", not "pressure") would absolutely be able to throw together a more well written and coherent paragraph. I happen to work in the aerospace industry, and deal with engineers daily that can, and do, just that. I'm not an expert in thermodynamics myself, but I know enough to not be fooled into believing that you are either.

Adiabatic heating is what you are trying to describe. The most common example of it is in a diesel piston engine. And it's nothing unique at all to a Webley, it's the same in nearly every spring piston gun. I say nearly because some lower powered guns or target guns are setup to have low static compression ratios and are basically designed to slam. Providing a very quick and linear shot cycle at the expense of hindered power output.

The transfer port length and diameter (it's volume) along with the swept volume of the powerplant, pellet fit, surface area of the pellet base (and it's volume!), seal braking effect and spring pressure all effect the shot cycle and how much heat is generated during it.

All of this is said and done before the pellet ever even gets to the choke. The seal doesn't care what is going with the choke, because the piston has hit home before the pellet gets to it.

Here's a little evidence to this:

I'm sure with your VAST EXPERIENCE with spring guns, you have encountered a gun that slams and also one that bounces during the shot cycle. Do you happen to ever modify the size of the transfer port in the guns that do? Because if you do, you will quickly realize that a small change in the transfer port size greatly affects the shot cycle, and it's not even dependent on barrel length.

I choke my own barrels on quite a few guns, and have NEVER.....not a SINGLE time, had any difference in shot cycle from adding or removing a choke. Proving to me that it's all said and done by the time the pellet sees the choke.

As always believe what you want.
Thank you for your information. I didn’t mean to start a heated debate, but can learn from you all! It’s a great hobby that’s easy to get passionate about!

Very special guns indeed!
I lusted after one for years and finally got a trade deal done with Lewis! Thank you brother 😉. And not just any Tommy it's a Venom Sidewinder 😜
There's a few around but a pretty rare bird here in the states!
Mine is doing about 18.5fpe at 600 feet above sea level and is extremely accurate with 14.3 JSBs. A keeper is an understatement in my book!
Would love to find another in .25 some day!
James from Michigan
View attachment 314379View attachment 314380View attachment 314382View attachment 314385View attachment 314384View attachment 314381View attachment 314383
So great to see the pictures of the old gal! I was the original owner until last year when I moved onto PCP and Lewis was able to give her some much needed love. It's a special rifle for sure and very rare in the US so glad you are enjoying it!

I was fortunate to have purchased a Venom Tommy in .22 from Tim McMurray (aka "Timahawk") around 12/01. Truly amazing springer, cocks smooth as silk, quiet, and powerful! I own many springers and it is the only one I have never opened up. Still getting 20+ fpe and is my go to garden pest eliminator especially for those damn chucks!

ChuckHunter, where did get that nice brass triggerguard?

IMG-2806.jpg

IMG-2803.jpg

IMG-2804.jpg

Reactions: jlharden
I was fortunate to have purchased a Venom Tommy in .22 from Tim McMurray (aka "Timahawk") around 12/01. Truly amazing springer, cocks smooth as silk, quiet, and powerful! I own many springers and it is the only one I have never opened up. Still getting 20+ fpe and is my go to garden pest eliminator especially for those damn chucks!

ChuckHunter, where did get that nice brass triggerguard?

View attachment 329205

View attachment 329206

View attachment 329207
Very nice , really nice factory stock too. My sidewinder hits 810 fps all day every day with 14.6 ftt or 820 with 14.3 domed Crossmans. I have been in it many times to maintain it.. I shoot the snot out of them . Like a car they need preventative maintenance every now and then

My own Tommy I built is as smooth or better with less recoil at 785 with 14.6 ftt.. it’s has all the Venom touches and more. Internally venom their own 38 coil spring but did not button or ring the pistons. Steve Pope sent me a few custom 36 coil springs with a tad thicker wire that give a faster shot cycle with less tourqe as pre load is less..
.. both are stack on top of each other accuracy.. and the triggers are not. Far from a CD trigger when worked with.

Very nice , really nice factory stock too. My sidewinder hits 810 fps all day every day with 14.6 ftt or 820 with 14.3 domed Crossmans. I have been in it many times to maintain it.. I shoot the snot out of them . Like a car they need preventative maintenance every now and then

My own Tommy I built is as smooth or better with less recoil at 785 with 14.6 ftt.. it’s has all the Venom touches and more. Internally venom their own 38 coil spring but did not button or ring the pistons. Steve Pope sent me a few custom 36 coil springs with a tad thicker wire that give a faster shot cycle with less tourqe as pre load is less..
.. both are stack on top of each other accuracy.. and the triggers are not. Far from a CD trigger when worked with.
My Tommy hasn't seen a lot of use but I decided to open her up. As the Brits would say, beautiful piece of kit! Piston aft end is polished to a mirror finish as well as the compression tube. Trigger block is amazing. All parts super quality. Generously lubed with moly. Piston has a different design than HW and appears to engage on the outside. Spring guide is synthetic, solid and fits spring tight. Top hat fits tight in the piston with no slop. Plan to order some spare parts from TW Chambers to have on hand JIC.

IMG-2809.jpg

My Tommy hasn't seen a lot of use but I decided to open her up. As the Brits would say, beautiful piece of kit! Piston aft end is polished to a mirror finish as well as the compression tube. Trigger block is amazing. All parts super quality. Generously lubed with moly. Piston has a different design than HW and appears to engage on the outside. Spring guide is synthetic, solid and fits spring tight. Top hat fits tight in the piston with no slop. Plan to order some spare parts from TW Chambers to have on hand JIC.

View attachment 329335
Chambers may not have FAC springs. THE ORIGINAL FAC TOMMY spring was 35 coils .128 wire x.895 I have replacement springs , Venom sized..contact me if interested .
Venom spring has more pre load and the hand picked barrels with chokes and snug fitting pellets and snug seal create that Venom dead blow thunk
That being said ,yours looks good and velocity is on. The piston seal is UNOBTAINABLE . BE VERY CAREFUL INSTALLING.. I MAKE MY OWN [ no one makes a 27.4 mm , Cup seal] as the cup style is much better for many reasons.

Reactions: flycaster