• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My FX Crown story

First some background info. I owned a gun store and also did general and warranty repair and custom work. I also worked with the film industry as a firearms expert and safety range officer. Some years back I was contacted by the producers of the TV show Mythbusters and worked with them both off and on screen. Most of the firearms on that show were mine and some were from another bay area gun store. a few months ago the producers called me and wanted me to provide them with some air rifles for a new pilot that the were trying to produce and sell. This was not the Mythbusters or any of the talent from that show it would be all new talent.

I showed up at a production meeting with some air rifles and we discussed them and the what they wanted to do with them. The first thing they said was no black rifle looking air guns they did like the looks of the crown and they would need two of them. I only had one but I had just got confirmation from Utah Air that one I had ordered was on the way so we set up a schedule for production.

The new Crown arrived I found that my Aluminum magazines would not insert into the gun also the single shot tray would not fit. After about an hour of working on it I determined that the cut in the frame for the magazine was not deep enough in relation to the barrel. I confirmed this buy taking an old barrel removing a small amount of the lip the guides the magazine into alignment with the bore. It was then that I noticed the label on the case it had the right serial number but the cal was .177 and the stock was synthetic. I ordered a .25 cal gun and a Bumble Bee laminate stock. I called UA and talked with a Teck He said that the gun came that way from FX USA. Then proceeded to explain about the problem he told me to take pictures and send them to them and a Tec would call me and walk me thru a repair. I started to explain how I needed a replacement because the receiver was cut wrong. He once again told me to send pictures and they would call me.

I then called FX USA and explained the Problem they told me to ship the gun to them. Because I needed it for the pilot we were filming I sent it 2nd day FedX . They called when it came in and inspected it and decided to replace the rifle with a new one. I explained that I needed it right away because we were about to film. Melissa of FX USA sent the rifle out next day. When the rifle arrived I found that the magazines would not fit, same problem. I called Melissa and talked to her she sent a call tag and started to try and find a new gun there were no Crowns available. She found an early used gun with the same problem as the others and had one of the Teck's alter 6 magazines to fit the gun and sent it back to me next day air. I installed it on my stock and we were able to film on the date scheduled. I then sent the gun back and had to wait for the next shipment to come in.

Last Friday The Crown arrived and was I happy it was the MK 2 and they had tuned it and made sure the magazines worked. This was the 4th gun. Then serial number spread between the 3 bad guns were from 98.000 to 109.000. I'm sure I wasn't the only one with the problem But FX took care of it.

I want to say that FX USA and Melissa were the heroes of the day. The company went way overboard to back their product and take care of the customer. The only one to fall down on the job was UA they just didn't seem to care and it appeared to me that they assembled the Crown I ordered from them and weren't interested in helping me. Up to this I have had great service from them and have even ordered since with no problem.

VERY GOOD NEWS INDEED! LEAVES ONLY 11,000 FX CROWNS TO WORRY ABOUT...(IF all of yours were lucky enough to be the actual start and definite end serial numbers of the problem receiver batch). They could also just tell their customers to file down their magazines as a simple DIY fix too.

That's only 10% so I guess only 11,000 may be reasonable if they addressed it by the time you got your newest replacement.

I agree i was not a happy camper at this point because we had a lot of people getting ready to set and film at a remote location. When they sent me the 3rd gun with the adjusted magazines and after i noted the serial number I was aware that they must have had quite a number of these guns with the same problem. What was interesting that all three of the magazine cuts in the receivers were different in relation to the barrel. I can't believe I was the only one with the problem but when I asked on this forum no one had the problem.