• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My DUCK hunting video with .177 calibre Custom PCP

"einar1990"
"hasenpfeffer"I envy you guys in countries where you can hunt waterfowl with airguns.
Which country are you from? Can't you hunt waterfowl with air rifle in your country? And why?
It's a NO-NO in the USA. Waterfowl are Migratory birds and as such fall under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 (MBTA). Federal regulation dictate that when hunted it be with certain weapons. Basically shotguns (smaller than 10ga) and Bow/Arrow. (IIRC)

To add to what BigTinBoat said, the reason we have to use shotguns is because we may only shoot them while they are in flight. I think this is stupid, especially with the huge glut of Canadian Geese. There are so many of them, they are getting run over with cars on the roads, going to any corporate property with a pond and pooping all over the place.

Did you also know that some states also don't allow rifle hunting of deer? Silly stuff.

"einar1990"
Which country are you from? Can't you hunt waterfowl with air rifle in your country? And why?
Most game in the US is managed by state wildlife agencies, but migratory birds are managed at the national level. At least I'm lucky enough to live in a state (Arizona) with very airgun-friendly hunting regulations. We can hunt mountain lions and bears with airguns, but not ducks.

Smaug is right about the Canada geese. In some places, they're so numerous and so habituated to humans that you could walk right up to a flock on the ground and grab one. (Then a hundred others would attack you...)

"BigTinBoat"
"einar1990"
"hasenpfeffer"I envy you guys in countries where you can hunt waterfowl with airguns.
It's a NO-NO in the USA. Waterfowl are Migratory birds and as such fall under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 (MBTA). Federal regulation dictate that when hunted it be with certain weapons. Basically shotguns (smaller than 10ga) and Bow/Arrow. (IIRC)
I think this is beacuse the Federal regulation is based on the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 (MBTA).
1918- It is about 100 years ago. At that time there were no air rifles at all. I think that all that stupid regulations were made a long time ago, when people hunted the game only wtih fire arms. At that time there were no powerfull air rifles that could kill an animal. This is why many people go by poacher way in air rifle hunting. Which is not good also. They must reconsider the law about it. Otherwise people will be poaching.

"einar1990"
I think this is beacuse the Federal regulation is based on the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 (MBTA).
1918- It is about 100 years ago. At that time there were no air rifles at all. I think that all that stupid regulations were made a long time ago, when people hunted the game only wtih fire arms. At that time there were no powerfull air rifles that could kill an animal. This is why many people go by poacher way in air rifle hunting. Which is not good also. They must reconsider the law about it. Otherwise people will be poaching.
There were Air Rifles over 100 years BEFORE the Treaty, but the "reasoning" (MY belief) was for safety. No rifles or pistols of ANY kind, could you imagine someone shooting a flying goose with a 30-06?

"BigTinBoat"
"einar1990"
There were Air Rifles over 100 years BEFORE the Treaty, but the "reasoning" (MY belief) was for safety. No rifles or pistols of ANY kind, could you imagine someone shooting a flying goose with a 30-06?
Yes. Safey is one of the reasons. Imagine shooting ducks on the lake while they are swimming, and there is a bad ricochet of the bullet could be when hitting the water surface. Air rifle hunting is very difficult in my opinion. Much easier to hunt ducks with shotgun while they are flying. Air rifle hunting is more like a sport. It is complicated. This is why I love it more.

Y'all are right about them Canadian honkers! Dang, they're bloody everywhere! Oh, how I love to pit barbecue goose on a rotisserie, of which I have two that fit my bbq pit. There growing really big & fat around here too, large flocks seemingly everywhere?! I'd love to shoot some with my 1400CS, which is more than enough to take'em out with a head shot. Maybe we could start some kind of lobbying to change this outdated law? What say you?

"unionrdr"Y'all are right about them Canadian honkers! Dang, they're bloody everywhere! Oh, how I love to pit barbecue goose on a rotisserie, of which I have two that fit my bbq pit. There growing really big & fat around here too, large flocks seemingly everywhere?! I'd love to shoot some with my 1400CS, which is more than enough to take'em out with a head shot. Maybe we could start some kind of lobbying to change this outdated law? What say you?
Good idea, I think!