• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
The thing I think about when it comes to compressors is this. If you are in this sport/hobby/rabbit hole and plan on staying for the long haul shouldn't you purchase the best compressor you can afford? Obviously most are not made of money but...The health of your pcp depends on clean dry air. My thought is if your going to spend a couple Gs on an air rifle it just makes sense to get a good quality air compressor. Personally I think alkin makes one of the best for your dollar. Buy once cry once.

The thing I think about when it comes to compressors is this. If you are in this sport/hobby/rabbit hole and plan on staying for the long haul shouldn't you purchase the best compressor you can afford? Obviously most are not made of money but...The health of your pcp depends on clean dry air. My thought is if your going to spend a couple Gs on an air rifle it just makes sense to get a good quality air compressor. Personally I think alkin makes one of the best for your dollar. Buy once cry once.
No argument on the quality, but at the end of the day, many take their compressors out on shoots with them.

Portability & space is why I went with the CS4, as opposed to buying a $5k compressor that isn't easy to carry around.

I get what you're saying but for those of us with limited cash flow cheaper compressors are a Godsend. I'm on my 2nd new Yong Heng. Got 3.5 years from my 1st! NEVER any moisture problems if I do my part. $300 for a compressor that will keep me shooting is far more acceptable than $1,000+ and a divorce lawyer!

Everyone has to make the right financial decisions for themselves and their families. For those of you that have the disposable income to buy a diving grade compressor, do it.
For me, I will not risk that kind of money on this hobby. So I have to find a way to do it a lot cheaper, or I go a different direction in this hobby. There was a time in the past all I could afford in the airgun world was a Daisy 22SG multipump. Time has passed, and at this point, I have six (I think) airguns including two PCPs (both under $400 used) and two handpumps. Am I in this forum looking for feedback on an inexpensive compressor? Yep. But that is how I make it work for me. If you can afford an Aikin, good for you. Seriously, I would buy one if I could afford it.

I get what you're saying but for those of us with limited cash flow cheaper compressors are a Godsend. I'm on my 2nd new Yong Heng. Got 3.5 years from my 1st! NEVER any moisture problems if I do my part. $300 for a compressor that will keep me shooting is far more acceptable than $1,000+ and a divorce lawyer!
No argument there, my friend. Whether one can best afford a hand pump, or a $10,000 compressor, at least they are enjoying the hobby and throwing lead downrange!!

Everyone has to make the right financial decisions for themselves and their families. For those of you that have the disposable income to buy a diving grade compressor, do it.
For me, I will not risk that kind of money on this hobby. So I have to find a way to do it a lot cheaper, or I go a different direction in this hobby. There was a time in the past all I could afford in the airgun world was a Daisy 22SG multipump. Time has passed, and at this point, I have six (I think) airguns including two PCPs (both under $400 used) and two handpumps. Am I in this forum looking for feedback on an inexpensive compressor? Yep. But that is how I make it work for me. If you can afford an Aikin, good for you. Seriously, I would buy one if I could afford it.

EXACTLY my point!! Make the hobby work with what you can comfortably afford. Over-extend yourself, and you won't stick around long enough to enjoy it.

Heck, I remember when I had to use federal assistance to feed my kids, and couldn't afford a Crossman pump BB gun. Then one day, I COULD afford that gun. And life was funner.

Never be discouraged by living within your means. There are much worse things in life.

Back in '70s if I wanted to ride my "sportbike" (moped is called in recent decades ;) ) every day I had to fix it here and there. And this how I grow up from teen age swapping cars every year, and getting into more and more cost hobbies and sports.
Couple decades around my neck I have learned that - there are things in life that money cannot buy.
You can buy a $5K or $10K compressor and have a happy life, until one morning ahhhhh..... and what next? get another $5K or $10K compressor, that is what you saying?
For now my mindset is in buyin 3 YH's for $1K makes a better business case, and a leftover cash I can spend to feed something else.
I was making myself ready to retire and collected a decent amount of hobbies I won't get bored soon, but if all start breaking down and I cannot fix it = I cannot afford to feed them all.

• Love
Reactions: F6Hawk
The thing I think about when it comes to compressors is this. If you are in this sport/hobby/rabbit hole and plan on staying for the long haul shouldn't you purchase the best compressor you can afford? Obviously most are not made of money but...
The portion in bold and especially the underlined portion are key to the OP’s question. It’s a pretty sensible concept.

The portion in bold and especially the underlined portion are key to the OP’s question. It’s a pretty sensible concept.
That's been my motto since getting into this "hobby" Dave! My wife & I rarely, if ever, put ourselves in debt. We owe NOTHING other than living expenses. I've always gotten the best I could afford & learned to get the best from it. Though it's not as pricey as others can afford I'm EXTREMELY happy & grateful for what I have. Better than most, not as good as some! Works for me.

Reactions: Camaro454
That's been my motto since getting into this "hobby" Dave! My wife & I rarely, if ever, put ourselves in debt. We owe NOTHING other than living expenses. I've always gotten the best I could afford & learned to get the best from it. Though it's not as pricey as others can afford I'm EXTREMELY happy & grateful for what I have. Better than most, not as good as some! Works for me.
@Gerry52 The other part that resonated with me was the bit about “if you’re going to spend a couple of Gs on an air rifle it just makes good sense to get a quality air compressor.” I think this is sound advice that another older member communicated to me. Once a person has a rifle or two and are really getting into the hobby and can afford (or afford to save for) a third and fourth rifle. I think it’s prudent to forgo those purchases and buy a quality compressor. That’s what I think and did eventually. I waited a while purchase mine. I suppose others are going to spend their funds according to their proclivities and budgets.

Reactions: coastal drifter
Also a good water/oil Seperator/ filter is a must to keep moisture out of the gun.

Well, I think it also depends on the volume of air you're going to be pushing.

I got a cheap, small pump since I'm not filling up my SCBA tanks very often. 3+ years of use and my original pump ($300) is still going strong.

If you do a lot of shooting every day, by all means a big serious pump is the way to go. But if you only pest, like me, you may be filling up your SCBA tank only 10 times a year.

depends .. if all i did was travel to airgun events and shot thousands of pellets a week id have a trailer set up with ac, a kitchen, a genset, machine shop and a gas powered hi-cap 10k$ compressor and 6- large tanks ... but as it stands i shoot a tin of pellets every 2 months probably, for active pest control at my rural place and daily random plinking .. a yong heng with a 'gold filter' is fine .. i got a benji hand pump for backup but my yongheng has lasted several years now, money well spent imo ..

I broke down and finally kicked out the funds for a Coltri mch6, because I wanted to play with my guns and NOT spend time fixing and improving my Chinese compressors

each must decide for themselves on how to balance their wants, needs, and financial ability and oh ya that other 1/2,,, every man for him self,,, take cover

Last edited:
Well, I took care of the family issue, got rid of them, way more money for important stuff. Ok, I'm kidding but there are times.....

No point in buying a good compressor if you have convenient, reliable, access to regular fills. I picked up mine because the dive shop I was using was pretty irregular in their hours and my alternative was to drive over an hour each way. You've got to consider your individual situation: cost, convenience, power, storage, etc.

GsT