• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

MTC Viper Pro

Hi there,
Can some owners who have now had their viper pro's for a while and used the turret feature please offer some feedback on the tracking/ repeatability on these scopes? 

On all my other scopes I do a basic optical centre (in a mirror) and then zero using adjustable mounts, in an attempt to reduce/ equally load the erector tube springs. As I understand it with the Viper pro you max out the turret for your nearest zero, say 25 yards and go from there. My concern is in doing so you will be fully loading one set of springs and stretching the opposing ones which goes against all I thought I knew about getting the best accuracy/ repeatability out of a scope? 
I hope this makes sense. Hopefully MTC have made allowance for this as I am seriously considering ones of these to go on my next rifle. Any feedback regarding the above would be greatly appreciated gentlemen.
Thanks.

I've had mine for a while and have learned a lot about it, the way it works, the way it needs to be used, and especially how to set it up. There's a lot I would change about it but, overall, it works if you use it correctly. 
I've recorded a video about this very thing and I'm hoping to have it up soon. There's a lot to it and it might end up being a 2 part series.
To answer your specific questions, tracking/repeatability is great. Repeatability is a critical component in order for a system like this to work. I think MTC put a lot of focus on making sure they got that right.
I have not heard of setting it up the way you mentioned. I initially set mine up the same way I set up all my scopes... 
Optically zero scope, adjust scope rings to zero at 50, trim using turrets. (50y because that's the primary distance I shoot at) This allows me to shoot 25 with minimal "strain" internally, 50 with basically no "strain", and 125-150 with moderate "strain". If I knew I was going to frequently use the scope for longer distances, such as 250, I'd set my true zero much further out. There's a long process to setting it up the rest of the way after that.
If you're not using adjustable scope mounts, then your settings are going to be what they're going to be, just like any other scope. You won't know until you get it mounted and start the rest of the zeroing process. 
Tom

Hi Tom thanks for your reply. Thats just what I was hoping to hear, without having tried the scope I wasnt sure if optically centering (then zeroing at 50 yards) would leave enough elevation in the turrets to dial in to say 150 yards (without stressing the erector springs). Ive come across many reviews but hadnt seen anything with regards to the way they tracked, so again thank you for confirming that Tom.
If I recall it was Ted that suggested maxing the turret (minus a click or 2) to give optimum scale of elevation but dont hold me to that....

Hi Sylvan,
As I have none all experience is welcomed so thank you. Do you know what problems the FT guys were experiencing? Other than checking my guns over and learning holdover I dont spend much time on paper, as I understand it the FT guys depend on adjusting parallax to estimate distances then dial in? Maybe they were having issues between the two not corresponding? As per most who are interested in these scopes I can live without perfect optics, the extra weight, and a few other small issues as long as the turret/ range tape design works and is repeatable....

I have one on my FX Impact and one on my S510 Carbine. Gotta say the repeatability is top notch and they are tough as nails.

Optical Clarity is up there with the Hawke 30SF and at least 85-90% as good as the Nightforce SHV or NXS.

Only downside is that the illumination is a little on the weak side, but still manageable.

My Air Arms S510 Xtra Carbine is my primary hunting gun and it goes everywhere on my not-so-smooth Can-Am XMR. No loss of zero, no shifting and no damage whatsoever. I've dialled the "ribbon" out to 100 yards and it never fails. Gotta say I am one happy camper and can recommend the Viper to anyone looking for a nice scope.