• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Most successful FT guns

I have a machine lathe and mill so I fit my own from a Lothar Walther blanks, that's the easy part.
Hard part is tuning barrels with hand lapping- it is a black art... I am slowly taking out tight spots, repolishing for consistent resistance to choke. Then shooting for groups with different pellets. 10.34s in the beginning would through flyers at any speed. Now they make decent groups with no flyers. Next is fine tuning to reduce group size further. It's a process that guru's like Mike, Tim, Scott and Martin have great skill at, I do not.

Reactions: cavedweller
Imo, the rifle doesn't make the shooter, the shooter makes the rifle.
FT is not my "thing" as I prefer "hunting". Field / hunting grounds, target/ what I pursuing.
FT is a great way to learn proper shooting techniques and range finding much like unmarked 3-D is for archery hunting.
As far as the "best" out of the box FT rifle, my impression would be the one rifle you feel brings out the best in your shooting style.
Expensive if you have to buy a rifle to try it. I'm sure at any FT event , there are numerous guns there that could give you the opportunity to try them. Explain to the owner of the gun your reason for the request and I bet 99.9% of the time they will say yes.
Good luck ,
Mike
@MEC17670 - I was at a match in Phoenix AZ 12/6/22 and there was quite a variety of FT guns present and each owner clearly had personalized a wide variety of guns to fit their individual needs. I considered your suggestion about asking some very seasoned shooters if I could shoulder and shoot a round or two through their FT gun of choice but we were quite pressed for time to comply with range closing early that day. I was also being coached by a very experienced FT shooter whose guidance greatly improved my ability to “hit anything” that day; especially considering I was shooting a brand new Daystate Redwolf for the first time, shooting from a bucket for the first time and shooting from a bipod for the first time. The Redwolf performed much better than my nervous self and the coaching I received allowed me to hit at least 24 of the targets KZ’s. But I’m wandering from my topic of finding a consolidated list of winning “FT guns” Folks might wonder why such a list would be useful? In retrospect it would be invaluable information just as having a great shooting coach like @Sturkis tutor you patiently! I’m reminded to “beware of the shooter who owns one gun because they know it well”. So imagine the advantage of a shooter being devoted to one solid FT platform under the guidance of an excellent FT coach. definitely a recipe for success! One more add - using the best possible scope and reticle for one’s eyes is mucho important to this whole process. It really does have to all come together.

Last edited:
I’m sure having fun testing a variety of FT rigs!
DE73E16A-3BEA-4905-BDCB-EB89B1D55A13.jpeg

One of the most successful FT rifles of all time is the HW77. You don't see them too often any more but back when FT started in the US that was the number one gun. Some were modified but I shot mine right out of the box for quite awhile. Back then an 12x or 18X scope was considered high power. The pellet of choice hands down was the Crosman Premier domed at 7.9 grains.
Wow that brings back memories. I had a few 77’s and hw80’s. The hw77 won the majority of matches in the mid Atlantic region back in the mid eighties and early nineties.

All of those mentioned are great guns and have a good record of winning matches. However, the skill of the marksman behind the trigger is still the most important component. My former club has a couple of guys that have won matches using highly modified Marauders and QB78s against many others shooting Thomases, RAWs, Steyrs, and FXs. These guys are obviously talented shooters. Again, it's the indian, not the arrow.

All of those mentioned are great guns and have a good record of winning matches. However, the skill of the marksman behind the trigger is still the most important component. My former club has a couple of guys that have won matches using highly modified Marauders and QB78s against many others shooting Thomases, RAWs, Steyrs, and FXs. These guys are obviously talented shooters. Again, it's the indian, not the arrow.
I’m living proof of this
🥴

i just bought a used Mac1 , waiting for email back about a manual, i have no clue what Bar to fill it to ,
Or for that matter anything else i should know b4 i shoot it . only You tubes of others shooting one .

anxious to try it out
So you're the guy who got the red and silver one that popped up yesterday!!! Man o man the text were flying amongst all my ft buddies. We were all trying to encourage each other to buy it. I almost did myself.

If its that tubed version (no regulator) one from the classifieds yesterday, you'll want to fill it to about 1450-1500 and shoot it down to around 1250-1300 and it should give you about 40-45 shots within a 20-25fps spread. You're gonna love it.

So you're the guy who got the red and silver one that popped up yesterday!!! Man o man the text were flying amongst all my ft buddies. We were all trying to encourage each other to buy it. I almost did myself.

If its that tubed version (no regulator) one from the classifieds yesterday, you'll want to fill it to about 1450-1500 and shoot it down to around 1250-1300 and it should give you about 40-45 shots within a 20-25fps spread. You're gonna love it.
Thankyou yes i jumped on it and immediately drove 5 hours to pick it up then 5 hours home , only thing is it is set up weird for a righty . The scope rail and hand rest are off set from vertical so the body of the gun is canted to the right .trigger set is @ 5 pm . looks as though it was originally built to those spec . seller said it was Big ED's (died about a year or so ago , do not know who that was )

Here is a report for CASA, AAFTA, matches.
August 28 2022. FX M3 in .22 smooth twist barrel, top score Hunter PCP and top score overall (tied with freestyle not an AAFTA division, although Rick is a great shot).
Also top score Hunter PCP Oct. 8 using FX M3 in .177 with LW slow twist poly. Top scores are very dependent on who shows up, and skill level, less so on what's being shot

https://455c0c96-478d-4e3b-bda4-b02591b00746.filesusr.com/ugd/e3e23d_afa7e5069e944f2cb4dcf0fb635e414e.xlsx?dn=CASA Match Results 2021-22.xlsx

Shoot what you want, I do covet the Steyer, USFT and Thomas guns... simple is elegant.
Over its history, Its likely the USFT has won more AAFTA Nationals than most other models, if you look at PCP guns, though
I suspect TX200 and HW77/97 springers have won more Nationals and may6be Worlds events in their own class.

my raw tm500 is the most accurate .177 ive ever used... its groups are running 10 shots 1.2 mm ctc at 25 meters..... and those are out door groups......and this is lieing prone on the ground and no fancy rest.......so after this all that matters is getting a stock to fit the different feild positions and balence...... and then there the art of wind temp ect....... once u got a super acurate gun its done to the shooter..... i hope thats a fair statement

my raw tm500 is the most accurate .177 ive ever used... its groups are running 10 shots 1.2 mm ctc at 25 meters..... and those are out door groups......and this is lieing prone on the ground and no fancy rest.......so after this all that matters is getting a stock to fit the different feild positions and balence...... and then there the art of wind temp ect....... once u got a super acurate gun its done to the shooter..... i hope thats a fair statement
Well the BM500 isn’t really an FT gun but like it’s brother the TM1000 yes they are lasers

I have a machine lathe and mill so I fit my own from a Lothar Walther blanks, that's the easy part.
Hard part is tuning barrels with hand lapping- it is a black art... I am slowly taking out tight spots, repolishing for consistent resistance to choke. Then shooting for groups with different pellets. 10.34s in the beginning would through flyers at any speed. Now they make decent groups with no flyers. Next is fine tuning to reduce group size further. It's a process that guru's like Mike, Tim, Scott and Martin have great skill at, I do not.
are you polisihing you choke area too or just polishing the rest of barrel before the choke and not polishing the choke area at all?

the same action the tm and the bm are.... its just the stocks are different and stockes can be changed in one min... look heres a pic of my tm1000.. it dont look like a bm or tm do it.. but its both

View attachment 426283

View attachment 426284

thank you for pics - I’ve owned all versions and calibers of the RAW and all were shooters. I currently have a TM 1000 in .20 pistol being set up for pistol. Here’s a TM in a dress you probably haven’t seen.
IMG_6108.jpeg

my raw tm500 is the most accurate .177 I've ever used... its groups are running 10 shots 1.2 mm ctc at 25 meters..... and those are out door groups......and this is laying prone on the ground and no fancy rest.......so after this all that matters is getting a stock to fit the different field positions and balance...... and then there the art of wind temp ect....... once u got a super accurate gun its done to the shooter..... i hope that's a fair statement.
I'm taking us back to why i started this thread - i had a large airgun budget and i wanted to buy different Field Target rifles so i could try them out (as many as possible) to see which air rifle was a fit for me during an HFT match. The idea (silly one) was that i could save myself some time and money if i got some real hard data before i started buying and experimenting with lots of different rifles and scopes (silly me) - quoting myself from the opening thread:

"I wonder if anyone has compiled the stats to determine the most successful FT rifles and pistols?
For example how often does an FX M3 win an FT match, or a Steyr or a walther? I’m not interested in popularity or “feelings” of greatness or reputations, but rather, factual stats!
Compiled findings from matches all over the world.
Certainly some airhead follows this like some people follow baseball stats?"

Emotionally speaking we all have our favorite gun "the shooter" and we are damn proud of our toys, but when you combine the right gun with the right shooter on the right day and preparations and training meet challenge, something amazing happens (and its not guess work) someone wins.

My goal with this thread was "a wish" in that i was hoping those wins were being compiled somewhere and thus becoming statistically relevant. Every field target match / shoot i have been to thus far has asked for your name, your gun, your pellet and lastly your scope. Several contributors to this thread touched on some of those statistics. I had really hoped that a body like AAFTA or WFTF might of had a computer / stats nerd crunching such data.

To date i have tried just about every Field Target Platform and scope that was within my grasp... some came, some went, but typically they were all shooters (damn accurate) and yet most have been sold or traded away - primarily because of ergonomic reasons; meaning how well did I as the shooter, interface with the equipment or was it the right fit for me, the right weight distribution etc.. strangely the single biggest #1 problem i ran into was how a pellet loaded = right angle breech loading is very hard with little pellets as we get older and it gets colder. This is why i sold my TM's and Steyr's and other breech loaders. Second was weight distribution, because too much weight at the nose was difficult for me to hold point of aim. Third was how high and forward a scope sat on the gun because too far up and forward and the gun got tippy - flip floppy.

In the end, for me, a great field target rifle is not only accurate with 10.34 and 13.4 pellets at 55 yards, it has to scope well for a good cheek weld and it must sit ergonomically correct at my shoulder! Lastly, for me, it comes down to how easy i can get a pellet to load - it gets really old really fast dropping more pellets on the ground than you insert in the breech; in this regard CARM, Rowan Engineering SSL flip out loaders and PRS SSL's are a dream to work with!!!

As for finding the correct scope for the field target shooter... we will save that for another thread.

Reactions: Florida_Man