• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Moisture in my manometer

While testing to find the leak, I got some water in the manometer. I’ve tried encasing it a baggie of rice and desiccant packages, using a hair dryer, etc and it just keeps coming back. Note: it’s removed from the cylinder and the screws, o rings removed. 
thanks

76BFBC15-72EA-46C0-AED9-C233E335A16F.1602459678.jpeg

I have done the rice thing, but I did it by putting it in a sealed jar full of rice and putting that in a Texas attic in the summer, so about 130 degrees for 2 weeks.

I really wish there was a way to pull a vacuum on a PCP like on an HVAC system. If the seals and mechanics would hold that direction, it would be such a great fix to pull all moisture out of the system. 

I would have to think the moisture got in around the “ crystal” and not through the air in the gun. As that part of the gauge should not be under pressure. So even pulling a vacuum would not rid this, it should dry out in time, or try placing it by a light bulb, a little heat should speed the process . I could be wrong, but I don’t see that “ crystal” being able to withstand the pressure in these guns.

The problem is that the moisture is in a portion that is relatively sealed. So when you heat it, the moisture just changes state and appears to disappear, only to reappear once the temp drops and it again condenses. Rice or any other moisture traps would be equally useless for the same reason of it being mostly sealed. As mentioned, complete disassembly, followed by cleaning and drying, is likely your only option.

You're right. There was some water inside the gauge. I used very low pressure and blew out the water droplets. It's now clean, the crystal is clear, and everything looks great — except for the gauge's indicator is pointing at 225 bar. Are these things adjustable back to zero? 

IMG_5137.1602480971.jpeg
IMG_5139.1602480971.jpeg
IMG_5138.1602480971.jpeg

Similar principle...

https://youtu.be/Ja_XCJAg_l8

https://youtu.be/fmOnrEZ_z6k

https://youtu.be/h-7h652uGhg

I would turn that pointer manually (like an old clock) to 0 while looking underneath to see what DOO-HICKIES moves around so I know what is out of adjustment and it's tinker time!

If all else fails I would just pull that needle off then position it to zero and press it back in (pray to Jesus) and refill SLOWLY! (strictly looking at the fill tank gauge and manometer at the same time) and compare it to your fill tank gauge.

For your pointer to have moved that far from zero, it has either a loose or loosened friction fit to the shaft, or the gear train on the Bourdon tube (the oval copper flex tube) has jumped a few teeth due to accidental shock. I used to calibrate vacuum gauges at work. Some of the better ones have just a single screw to work with, which most people use to set the zero. There is typically no adjustment for 'span', which is how accurately the pointer travels along the scale with the pressure.

So, you can either adjust the screw or bend the flex link shown in the video posted above. It's probably only going to be accurate at one part in the range. You can set it to be accurate at zero psi, or adjust it to agree with another accurate gauge while it's reading a pressure in a range that's important to your process. You probably want it to be more accurate up around 2500 to 3000 psi. 

If you adjust the gage to be accurate up in the middle or high end of it's range, the needle may not return exactly to zero at atmospheric pressure. This is the trade-off of a single point (zero only) calibration device.

On more sophisticated electronic sensors, for comparison, you have both a 'zero' and a 'span' adjustment that, after a few iterations of adjusting both, allows you to get perfect zero and accurate readings.

The 'C' shaped Bourdon tubes in these gages flex and try to straighten out slightly as the pressure goes up and down, and over time, they can fatigue and crack, or the solder joints in the tube start to leak. It's the same phenomenon that makes an air or water hose try to straighten out when it's pressurized.

Good luck with your repairs.

Feinwerk

Oh and by the way, water boils at room temperature when the vacuum gets down to between five and seven millimeters of mercury. This is how we used to remove moisture from things at work. You need a mechanical vacuum pump to reach these levels, down to around 1 to 2 mm of mercury. The little hand vacuum pumps from the automotive store will not do it unless you can warm it up to around 150 F or so.

I believe in the HVAC industry, they use portable mechanical vacuum pumps to pull less than 1 mm of mercury a vacuum on the system for a long period of time for thorough moisture removal. Once the vacuum gets below a certain level, it can take a while for air and moisture vapor particles to randomly bounce their way out of a long piping system to the pump to be removed.

Reactions: dgeesaman
Was able to reset it back to zero, and from initial tests, it looks on par with accuracy from before the removal. To make a long story short, the brass tube is attached to a brass gear that meshes with the teeth on the dial's center spindle. I was able to finesse the gear to skip/skim over the teeth to return to the zero setting. The cylinder was filled to 195 bar, as that is all that remains in my scba tank at the moment. After an hour, she's still at 195. Will check back again tomorrow and post updates.

Thank you all for the help, recommendations, insight, and links to information. 

IMG_5140.1602522489.jpeg