• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Modifying an Uragan 2 for PRS Shooting

BD80755D-DA44-4166-9332-D91CCBFAC5F0.jpeg

I think this little endeavor of mine might just work! Got a new Uragan 2 a little while back in my quest for putting together a new NRL22 rifle, ever since they had changed the rules on ammo and calibers for the airgun class. I always wanted to use .30cal slugs for NRL, so I got a U2 in .30 with a 700mm barrel to test out.

Longer version short, I haven't really had much free time to focus on doing anything crazy, but I have a pretty good size range in my backyard now. Little by little, I started learning this rifle and began testing and tuning it until I ended up with just the right adjustments to get it spitting fire. The CZ barrel is chambered very shallow and I figured out that manipulating the probe position foreward/aft allowed me to achieve the right projectile seating deprh for almost any slug that I wanted to shoot.

In the end, I found this rifle to be MOST accurate with (2) slugs - the FX Hybrids (most accurate between 1015-1030) and my absolute favorite of all, the original 62gr Varmint Knockers (970). The RA4 BC of the 62's with this 15.7"/400mm twist CZ is 0.148, so they will definitely work well in NRL matches

Shortcomings and challenges of the U2 for PRS competion - Right away, there were things that I strongly disliked about the rifle. All of which were independently deal breakers in my mind, unless I was able to find a solution for each of them:

1) Safety (fixed) - The safety engaged way too easily and was a PITA to disengage. I fixed this by tightening down the screws on both sides of the safety switch so it can't move freely.

2) Shallow magazine depth (fixed) - The mags are not deep enough to seat anything longer than 54.5gr NSAs, so I had to mill them out and now they will seat anything at or under 66gr

1B6BE6D0-CCF3-4600-9D6A-5C667BD51A84.jpeg

E41E054B-5C63-412A-8F80-29DDC4A81227.jpeg

3) Barrel harmonics & rigidity (work in progress) - Harmonics can definitely affect the precision with heavier ammo at high power in this rifle. Tensioning with the shroud alone only gets it so far

One of the great design elements of the U2 is it's (8) flat-face set screws that attach the barrel from one end of the action to the other. The barrel and housing also have a near press for tolerance so there's ZERO slop!!! This is second only to a threaded barrel action in my book, but this design leaves the other 1/2 of the barrel vulnerable!

I have a domestic carbon fiber vendor who made a custom mandrel to my specs and I ordered some prototype tubes to test out. The diameter tolerances and fit are PERFECT for the U2 barrels!!!

CBAC6511-0EFE-4ECB-8FF1-4F10A99BEC4E.jpeg

BD116D39-575A-46C7-AA1C-D1E6773B73A6.jpeg

I'm currently running a non-permanent setup with a tube over the barrel inside of the factory shroud that is tensioned against a polymer bushing. There's a couple of semi-related mods that I'm contemplating that I need to figure out before I implement a permanent setup.

4) Bipod rail SUCKS (fixed) - For the love of God, WHY do these airgun manufacturers design these things with the bipod rail damn near under the trigger?!?! The U2 has a sleek 40mm OD bottle (which was one of the big reasons why I chose it).Except the 530cc bottle is LONG! It was VERY awkward and unstable to shoot off of a bipod, even with a Pic rail attached via keymod to the handguard (the keymod implementation on this handguard is also frustrating and the guard tends to smack into the bottle when the rifle is planted with a bipod.

So I decided that I wanted a low profile Arca rail to run the full length of the bottle and that I would ditch the handguard (it's currently on one of my classic Leshiys). I repurposed some accessories and modified them to work together in forming the rail. The fit is EXACTLY what I had in mind! It's as low profile as one could get with an Arca Swiss rail on this rifle.

4D611CD5-7BD7-4ECD-9D39-3E54C78DA4CD.jpeg

E8F94AF1-059B-4903-857D-9AFD965833DC.jpeg

3FD70C65-7A58-4578-950E-6189DE2BFCF3.jpeg

2A815728-5B85-4473-8914-37FA02B8144E.jpeg

D016B397-2E9F-463C-806E-B574E93D47DD.jpeg

I have one more sub-project in the works for this rail that will add bottle mounted support. Devised a clever design for the attachment system that I have NOT seen anyone else do yet, and if it works I'm going to file for a patent as it can be applied to any other bottle rifle (awaiting parts, materials, and new end mills to finish the prototype proof of concept).

For the time being, this single velcro retaining strap has proven to be more than sufficient to stabilize the fore end for field use with a bipod attached.

63FACBEF-1990-48DC-AF79-CFA53FDD54D8.jpeg

Last edited:
That looks awesome!!! I know U2 is a pain to get it dialed in but once dialed it is very accurate and consistent. can't wait to see some groups and shooting pix.
Why do you say a pain to dial in? My U2 (700mm) .30 took three shots to dial in. Good Ballistol barrel cleaning, added Vector Veyron 6-24x44 (FFP) using cantilever WestHunter mount, aired up, loaded magazine with JSB 44.75grains, then outside to 50 yd. range. Shooting @ dime-size circle, first shot high one inch, three inches right, reset scope, next shot hit bottom center of circle ring, few clicks up, dead center. Moved out to 66-yard target, had to reset scope but dialed right in. Can't recall any PCP, other than Taipan Veteran Standard .22, as easy to dial in and so consistently out-of-the-box accurate. Only problem is the high FPE is "exploding" the 66-yard wooden backstop! WM

Reactions: merpo and L.Leon
Why do you say a pain to dial in? My U2 (700mm) .30 took three shots to dial in. Good Ballistol barrel cleaning, added Vector Veyron 6-24x44 (FFP) using cantilever WestHunter mount, aired up, loaded magazine with JSB 44.75grains, then outside to 50 yd. range. Shooting @ dime-size circle, first shot high one inch, three inches right, reset scope, next shot hit bottom center of circle ring, few clicks up, dead center. Moved out to 66-yard target, had to reset scope but dialed right in. Can't recall any PCP, other than Taipan Veteran Standard .22, as easy to dial in and so consistently out-of-the-box accurate. Only problem is the high FPE is "exploding" the 66-yard wooden backstop! WM

Have you adjusted your regulator? Do you know your regulator setting? How do you find out your regulator setting?

Have you adjusted your regulator? Do you know your regulator setting? How do you find out your regulator setting?
Answering a question with a question? He simply asked why is the U2 difficult to dial in? @WorriedMan, simply shot and sight his U2 in, no muss, no fuss, no regulator adjustment necessary. We understand that “typically” regulators are adjusted optimally by the manufacturers. What users do afterwards…? Lots of guys “tune” their gun into being worst then “out the box”.

Pretty cool mods and I can see why you chose 30 cal for NRL. Wow 130 fpe with 62 gr. That'll smack the steel hard and help you see hits on steel and misses in the ground more easily. Might help on the KYL rack also.

Except aren't those 9 shot mags though? Right off disqualifies using this gun in 30 cal for NRL for me because it burns time which can be spent on building positions, etc.

I say that because I have a big magnum 30 cal centerfire I used for Field Course matches a very long time ago which took 5 round mags and I found changing mags during a stage more of a distraction and time burner than any advantage I had in BC which was high at ".734" compared to what the other guys used back then and 4400 fpe, lol. Easy to see where a bullet landed though and definitely superior in the wind. Later on AI came out with 10 round mags which solved my dilemma. I had the best of times with that rig!

And best wishes for you with your 30 cal!

• Wow
Reactions: Centercut