• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Moderator remove and reinstall... POI change?

Right? The challenge for me was not knowing as much as I now know. The gun and scope is 27" x 12.5" x 4" and I was struggling to find a case that didn't seem so excessively long. Moderators weren't even on the radar at that point... thought they were prohibited in Massachusetts. Wisdom is like experience, something you don't get until just after you need it. Clearly joining this forum first would have been so much smarter. Still don't know what case I would get if I started over. Plano or pelican... then pick foam or cut it out. I think going to some shooting competitions and seeing what is actually used will be helpful.
Thank you for the comments, still learning 😀

The Pelican cases are great. Never an issue with them, and their new "Vault" series is much more affordable, but still much higher quality than most other hard cases. The Planos have given me issues. I avoid them. Pelicans are a good investment. The case will most likely outlive you and the person who inherits it.

Yes, you are partially correct, but as an example most FX guns use an adapter that fastens to the shroud, not the gun barrel. The new HUBEN GK1 (both v1 and V3) uses an adapter that screws onto barrel threads and the adapter first clamps the shroud to the receiver. The adapter threads will assume a skew if the mating shroud surface is not square to the barrel line. Further confusing the issue is that flat mating surface of the adapter that the moderator should clamp against is slightly lower than the face of the shroud. That allows the moderator to clamp against the shroud not the adaptor face. These are just some of the examples that I am aware of. I am sure there must be even more. All of which can and in many cases do, induce a moderator skew.
Yes, many cases can cause issues with concentric mounting of moderators. I was pretty much talking generically regarding the importance of properly cut barrel/moderator threads, parallel/flat machining of mounting surfaces and the like, to assure correct moderator mounting. Bottom line--- it is up to us, the end user, to verify and correct any misalignment issues regarding the moderators on our airguns.

Reactions: steve-l
Right? The challenge for me was not knowing as much as I now know. The gun and scope is 27" x 12.5" x 4" and I was struggling to find a case that didn't seem so excessively long. Moderators weren't even on the radar at that point... thought they were prohibited in Massachusetts. Wisdom is like experience, something you don't get until just after you need it. Clearly joining this forum first would have been so much smarter. Still don't know what case I would get if I started over. Plano or pelican... then pick foam or cut it out. I think going to some shooting competitions and seeing what is actually used will be helpful.
Thank you for the comments, still learning 😀
I know this may bring out some haters and lovers of the brand but Harbor Freight Apache Cases have held up really well for me and if you live near a store and watch the sales are very affordable compared to some of the other brands

I know this may bring out some haters and lovers of the brand but Harbor Freight Apache Cases have held up really well for me and if you live near a store and watch the sales are very affordable compared to some of the other brands
The Apache cases are really very nice, but very heavy. 26 lbs empty.
i was able to get one on a coupon deal just yesterday for under 100 dollars.
i really needed a long case because I hated taking the moderator on and off.
the case is big enough and wide enough for my rifle with scope and mod attached
the one thing I didn’t like was the pluck-out foam it came with.
One might think that it is a good option, but this foam will continue to rip and disintegrate as long as you own it.
it traps dirt and moisture and I feel is one of the worst options for case foam.
i found some polyethylene foam that is 53x16x2 that i Will be using instead of the pluck foam

One might think that it is a good option, but this foam will continue to rip and disintegrate as long as you own it.
it traps dirt and moisture and I feel is one of the worst options for case foam.
i found some polyethylene foam that is 53x16x2 that i Will be using instead of the pluck foam
I agree on the foam. What I did to my cases is custom fit the pluck foam and use an exacto knife to cut some of the curves then use a product called Plasti-dip to spray the foam so that it becomes a single piece that is custom molded to your guns. Once you do this it is fairly permanent so be sure that it is the way you want it. There are a few you tube videos on this being done. Just take your time and don't do it in a windy area

I missed the deal... a great deal for sure. HF has some good stuff... and some bad, so just a matter of thinking about needs, reading reviews, and inspecting before buying. I also was concerned about the weight... my soft case and gun are compact and light, so quite portable.