• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Moderator for Steyr Pro X Scout

Got a .22 Steyr Pro X Scout on the way and want to get a moderator that will get this as quiet as possible. Likely to go with Donnyfl who recommended a Sumo in .22/.25. I was considering a Ronin but if anyone has experience with Donny’s moderators on the Steyr I’d appreciate any feedback. Would really prefer to go with the shorter Tatsu (matches the bullpup motif) but afraid it will not be quiet enough.
Also curious if the Sumo in .177/22 might be as quiet as a Ronin in .22/25 (that’s the smallest Ronin diameter) but is using a .177/22 diameter cutting it too close? Will be shooting AA Field Heavy 18gr pellets for the most part if that makes a dif.

Last edited:
I don't have a Steyr but have used a Ronin on a .25 Taipan Vet. It was quiet but I didn't like the look of the big soup can hanging off the end of the barrel. I got a Huggett BelIta. It's quieter than the Ronin and it's a lot smaller. It's 4 3/4" long with a diameter of 1.72" You can't tell it's on unless you look closely. It's almost identical in diameter to the Taipan shroud. If you want to keep the profile down, I suggest the Huggett.

I think the Ronin is a bit large for the Steyr, especially for the Scout model. I have the short 0dB on my Steyr Pro X Standard and its pretty quiet. It also doesn’t add a ton of weight hanging off the front of the gun.
B6543ED3-7817-4021-9CE2-6A4302F32BF3.jpeg

The Sarissa looks like it is a foot long. It should be really quiet. Nice work though as it is difficult to make one that long that doesn't wind up clipping.

OP, you'll like that Tatsu. It is not as quiet as some of the others but it is certainly "quiet enough". Most guys are wanting "mouse fart" quiet and buying something considerably louder than that.

Generally, but not always by any means, length (actually total volume) is a dead giveaway about how quiet a moderator will be. It is hard to get enough baffles in a short moderator no matter what the diameter. Enough baffles is pretty important to the design as well and that increases length. A moderator also needs an area near the muzzle that allows for the rapid expansion of the gasses vented at the muzzle. That area needs to be significantly large with respect to the total volume of the gasses released by the airgun.

It is hard to get a really quiet moderator to run much shorter than about 140mm. The higher the energy level the bigger the volume needs to be to capture and then release the gas in a controlled and quiet manner.

Well anyway that Tatsu is a fine moderator and will keep that bullpup short. You got it for that reason. It seems fitting to put a moderator on it that keeps with the design.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarineO6
Got a .22 Steyr Pro X Scout on the way and want to get a moderator that will get this as quiet as possible. Likely to go with Donnyfl who recommended a Sumo in .22/.25. I was considering a Ronin but if anyone has experience with Donny’s moderators on the Steyr I’d appreciate any feedback. Would really prefer to go with the shorter Tatsu (matches the bullpup motif) but afraid it will not be quiet enough.
Also curious if the Sumo in .177/22 might be as quiet as a Ronin in .22/25 (that’s the smallest Ronin diameter) but is using a .177/22 diameter cutting it too close? Will be shooting AA Field Heavy 18gr pellets for the most part if that makes a dif.
4626E991-8CB4-49E2-8FE1-2A9DC763FE0B.jpeg