• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Measuring rifle scope height

https://youtu.be/BqjB6vl6dEI

Thanks to the video author, I refer to his tutorial.

1593670778_16153190835efd7c7a312253.71744640.jpg
1593670778_11318008235efd7c7af18945.86561861.jpg
1593670779_2038456885efd7c7bdf5a31.68215438.jpg
1593670781_1839853915efd7c7d0ce4d7.96256823.jpg

There is something I don't understand about using ballistic software. I assume one would not go hunting, or go to a match, with only the results of the software to determine POI. In other words, you shoot to validate it, and my guess, it's never quite perfect. So, why not just shoot and take notes? An example might be the effect of wind. The effect of wind on a projectile can be mathematically determined with precision, no doubt. But, I''m not sure I've ever seen a wind condition that can be effectively used as input, because it's rarely a constant in time or distance. Years ago, I was active in BR competition, mostly centerfire. There was always a sea of wind flags on the range, and every shooter used them, mostly with slight variations. But ultimately, you observe the flags and, based on experience, make your best guess and take the shot. Sometimes I was perfect in my guess, sometimes drastically wrong. Obviously, I'm not a software user, and I'm sure it has advantages of which I am not aware. 

Why so complicated?

Sight Hight = Exterior Scope diameter/2 + Barrel diameter/2 + distance between scope and barrel.

It's complicated because the simple addition you mention, while true in some regards, is not the true value you need to enter into the ballistic software. I used the measure and add method, put my data into Chair Gun with a 14 yard zero and when I went out to 45 yards Chair Gun was off by 2 inches in elevation to the true POI.

I've actually been wanting to do the OP's method above for some time now - I think I'll try it out this afternoon. 

There is something I don't understand about using ballistic software. I assume one would not go hunting, or go to a match, with only the results of the software to determine POI. In other words, you shoot to validate it, and my guess, it's never quite perfect. So, why not just shoot and take notes? An example might be the effect of wind. The effect of wind on a projectile can be mathematically determined with precision, no doubt. But, I''m not sure I've ever seen a wind condition that can be effectively used as input, because it's rarely a constant in time or distance. Years ago, I was active in BR competition, mostly centerfire. There was always a sea of wind flags on the range, and every shooter used them, mostly with slight variations. But ultimately, you observe the flags and, based on experience, make your best guess and take the shot. Sometimes I was perfect in my guess, sometimes drastically wrong. Obviously, I'm not a software user, and I'm sure it has advantages of which I am not aware.

You can shoot and take notes, if you have the space. I use the ballistic calculator to create my turret tapes and I can validate up to 40 yards, I do 5 yards interval testing, but I can't test at home at more than 40 yards, so I have my turret tape done and when I'm out hunting I can validate quickly that I have my distance dial in right. Wind is something you can not mark on the turret tape because as you mentioned it's variable, it's up to the shooter to judge it while taking the shot, I do hunting mainly, but using the ballistic calculator gives me a really nice starting point.

Why so complicated?

Sight Hight = Exterior Scope diameter/2 + Barrel diameter/2 + distance between scope and barrel.

In fact, it only takes a minute for you to find the precise center distance.

What a name you have chosen, a number, well, I'll call you Pi, even if the number is not 3.14. I'm curios to see your results, can you compute the height with your method and then use the method nisouck proposed and share the results with us? I'm curios to see if we get different numbers.

Thanks!

If the scope objective is over the barrel itself, the measuring method seems to work well enough for initial data input to ChairgunPro -- but -- if the objective is over the compression tube of a spring/gas ram powered rifle where the barrel is often lower than the tube itself or is often not aligned to the compression tube (think break barrel) the method in the video works very well.

Why so complicated?

In fact, it only takes a minute for you to find the precise center distance.

What a name you have chosen, a number, well, I'll call you Pi, even if the number is not 3.14. I'm curios to see your results, can you compute the height with your method and then use the method nisouck proposed and share the results with us? I'm curios to see if we get different numbers.

Thanks!

Good morning sir. My ID does not represent any goal. When I registered for an AGN forum account, I mistakenly viewed my name as an account, so I wrote a line of numbers. Its method is correct, but when measuring various values, this process will take a lot of time, and most importantly, my math is very bad. I have used this method before, and the answer is the same.

I use Google Translate and I am sorry if there are grammatical errors.