• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

May deicde to get a PCP.

Lot of different PCP's out there a .177 would work and you'll get lots of shots between fills and then the .22 would be next,it's a good all around pinker and de pester and as far as make that's up to you,I started with a .22 Marauder being that had very high reviews,probably the number one selling PCP right now or close to it. But look around and do some reading on the reviews for each Airgun your interested in....
Good luck and let us know what you get....Should add that there are some good package deals out there,scope,pump and Airgun just need to look.

I put off getting into PCP last year. Then the Maximus came out and I said ok here we go. So I ordered one and a hill 4 pump. It was a pre order so when the pump got here I said what the heck and ordered a .22 Mrod. I pumped up the Mrod one time(the pump is still shiny and is my back up I guess) and got on the phone to order a Great White tank. Since then I have picked up a Prod. I have put off getting a wildcat .22 for now since those two do what I need to do with a PCP at this time.

The Mrod I didn't do much research and if I had not sure I would have got the .22. And I'm glad I didn't study which to get, since at 55 yards its MOS (Minute of Starling). I think most of the bad reviews of the .22 barrels were from gen 1 rifles.

So if I could go back one year or so. I think I would have just ordered a wildcat .22 and the great white(only 9 miles and $6 to fill my tank). But I do love the Prod that I carry in the back of my side by side all the time.

I don't recommend a brand or a caliber for your first PCP but I now think its better to spend a little more up front and end up spending less in the first year or two? I could be really scary and tell you I have 15 scopes on different types of my rifles and you need to at least have one decent to put on your PCP.

Some say air guns are expensive and they are not cheap but not bad when you compare other hobbies like horses, fishing, and four wheelers?

By the way the Maximus doesn't get used much except by one of the grandsons.

I'd say people can tell whether they will like something at first sight. Imagine yourself shooting an air rifle... Good! Now you know whether you'll like it or not ;)! I'd suggest going big at first start, depending on your budget. If you have the money then go for a FX wildcat in .25(.25 because it has a longer shroud than the .22 version), then if you don't mind pumping with a handpump, buy a hill mk4 handpump. In fact I have one for sale brand new for sale in the classifieds section. If you don't like handpumps then I suggest you get another 500$ for a carbon fiber tank(in 75 cubic feet). You will need a scuba shop or a scuba compressor to fill it. Then get some pellets. JSB .25 Kings shoot well in the wildcat and the Heavies MkII work well too! I also heard great things about the marauder for the price to performance. However you will definitely see a quality and group difference between the guns because of the huge price difference. 

I tried to go for a budget PCP but it really disappointed me after using a quality one like FX. I used the Hatsan AT44 QE in .25 and man. It was not quiet at all! Long story short it shot pretty good but didn't feel good since they basically used heavy strength plastic for the entire gun and it was extremely heavy. So if you think your going to end up shooting air pellets for fun and managing your property from pest, then i suggest a mid->high grade pcp like the wildcat, cricket, Edgun. Whats even better is buying them used on the classifieds section here. Lots of good guns for sale at affordable prices! Then if you resell because if you don't like it. You won't lose much because you bought the gun at a used price and can sell for a similar "used" price. Just you have to understand some guns are easier to sell than others. I do not recommend buying a hatsan at44 qe. You might like the bullpups they offer but make sure you get an idea about how loud they are. A Quiet airgun is a good one!

Lots of suggestion for the Mrod and Hatsan At44 here, which are very good options-but I personally prefer the Gamo Coyote. The coyote will have a better shot count and barrel (nicer wood too) than all the other options, but it costs a little more. Also, if you so desire, you can put a GRT-4G trigger from Charlie DaTuna in the gun, which is absolutely fantastic.

The Discovery/Maximus are barebones options which are also good choices, with lots of mods/upgrades available if you want a little more out of them.

Thanks everyone for the knowledge you have shared with me. I was thinking more about it and what's the legality of purchasing one. Is it more like buying a firearm or a air gun? PS I live in upstate N.Y. and this state doesnt have the best firearms friendly laws. Would also love one with irons so to save myself a bit of money on optics until I can get a proper scope.

"BrknArsnl"Thanks everyone for the knowledge you have shared with me. I was thinking more about it and what's the legality of purchasing one. Is it more like buying a firearm or a air gun? PS I live in upstate N.Y. and this state doesnt have the best firearms friendly laws. Would also love one with irons so to save myself a bit of money on optics until I can get a proper scope.
Here is a good test. Go to Walmart. Get a spring powered air rifle. If they don't ask for anything or make a big deal about it then there are no enforced or regulated laws concerning airguns(return it after:). You can also look at travelsforfun's regulation guide on airgun laws. I'm sure it is still somewhere on this site. It shows regulation down to city ordinances. 

They are not considered firearms here in Georgia. I doubt you will have any issues buying one. Buying and using an airgun is like no other purchase. Not like buying an bow, firearm, or shotgun. Many times laws don't even mention the airguns for hunting regulations, so airguns are commonly used for pest control against coyotes or hogs. They don't even have a caliber restriction either! Although it is generally frowned upon to shoot medium sized game with a .177. 

https://www.municode.com/library/ This is the link to travelsforfun's regulation guide. I did a quick look and from what I see NY doesn't call a air gun a firearm, and as long as you don't live in NY city you should be good to go, and my suggestion would be a FX streamline or maybe a Daystate huntsman if you have the budget for it and not looking for a bullpup. Joel
p.s. the guide was written in 2013 so check current laws to be on the safe side.