• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Maurauder newbie needs advise

After not being able to get the springer I wanted, I researched PCPs and decided on the Marauder rifle in .22. I found a brand new gun (new old stock) at a good price on an auction site. Long story, by the time I got my hands on it, the return policy was expired. In the photos, the gun had 2000 psi. When I got it, the tank was empty. I asked the seller if he had degassed it and he told me the gun had been stored for several months in a non-temperature controlled environment and that could have caused the pressure loss. To start, I decided I would hand pump and bought an eBay Chinese knock-off. That’s an entirely different story. I could only get the gun to 1000 psi before the pump let out a hiss and stop working. After a couple of days, the gun is down to 500 psi. So…new gun stored poorly…now leaks. Do I go ahead and replace all the seals? Are some seals more prone to leak, so replace them first? Any advise is appreciated as this is new territory for me. I see seal kits on Amazon. Are those adequate? Can anyone point to any good tutorials out there regarding changing seals on the Marauder?
Thanks very much,
Tom

Replace all the seals because you just got the gun and seals have a 5 year life expectancy. You don’t want any more trouble. Once and done. When you use soapy water you risk creating rust on the gun in places you don’t want it to like inside and around the gauge block or underneath the breech. Soapy water is good to find the leak will you still need to take the gun apart to dry it out.

All the above is good advice, though my first marauder was bought used in 2012 and I have yet to have any leaks. Here'a a link to a disassembly video that also explains a little about what the different adjustments do. I found it helpful. If you do go for a full tear down, make sure you de-gas the gun before wrenching on anything that might be under pressure!

Once you get it aired up shoot it a bit. Sometimes things just need to be worn in to seal. (Poppet) it might not seal up but it worth a shot. If you do end up tearing it down I suggest buying bulk o rings. They're cheaper for hundreds of the main tube o rings then buying the captain o ring kit. Nothing wrong with the kit either though. Take your time and a rebuild is easy.

Reactions: Dan25
Thanks for all the replies. Something that hadn’t occurred to me previously was what could be the effects of poor storage conditions on whatever factory lube they may have applied. I don’t know if silicone oil/grease stand up to prolonged periods of heat. Leaning towards a total takedown, but will order o rings and sleep on it.
Super excited to get this all sorted out and start shooting….or pumping. 😉

I just noticed a black substance seeping from under
6EC87422-5918-4BC9-9D88-8348BF614DB0.jpeg
the fill valve. Is this some sort of factory grease? Sorry, the pic isn’t the sharpest.

Once you get it aired up shoot it a bit. Sometimes things just need to be worn in to seal. (Poppet) it might not seal up but it worth a shot. If you do end up tearing it down I suggest buying bulk o rings. They're cheaper for hundreds of the main tube o rings then buying the captain o ring kit. Nothing wrong with the kit either though. Take your time and a rebuild is easy.
Very good advice. Iocate a industrial o ring and gasket place and get a supply of the main tube o rings, you are going to need them. I believe they are #118, 70 durometer. You can get then way cheaper at a supply house. Don’t get the much tougher 90 durometer as they don’t have enough give to fit in the gun. Spend time debuting openings in the air reservoir as the sharp edges will clip o rings and you get to tear the gun apart, A-gain.

I got my orings from amazon. Be sure the ad has the amount in the pack as on place showed a bag of orings for 8$ but sent me 2 o rings. He said it was my mistake and basically ripped me off. So I found an ad that said 100 for 8$ and ordered. Is just happened to be the same company but a different user name. The o rings even had the same lot number. So beware of scammers like this.