• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Maruder to pistol conversion

PCP Air gun pistols really aren't a thing unless you're okay with 500-700 fps...this is due to barrel length. You can get by with 10-12" barrels but will severely limit your power and at the end of the day will still end up with similar length to a prod, which is truly only feasible as a mini-carbine...

Unless you custom build a 'pistol' to operate at between 3,000 and 4,500~ psi...then you could possible get away with a 7-8" barrel which IMO would qualify for being a worthy pistol that would be LOUD yet make power...at which point I'd ask why bother, just get a little co2 pistol for 50$...

If you are willing to drop the 'pistol' dimensions to mini-carbine then you are going to be much better off. 

Thanks for the discussion guys. But in response to "just buy a $50 co2 pistol"; I'm planning on hunting rabbits and those pesky red squirrels that like to chatter at me when I'm deer huntin in da UP. I already have a Talon P. Plenty of power and accurate, but a bit bulky. The Evanix REX pistol would fit the bill, but they are a bit pricy in .25 cal.
As I said, I already have the Maruder rifle in .22 and would like to shorten to pistol size and maybe up the caliber to .25. I'm an experienced hobby gunsmith, with a lathe so tinkering with guns is what I do to wear out my old clothes. Just need some technical advice so as to not alarm the neighbors with loud explosions.
Keep shooting!

Interested as to why you are wanting to mod a marauder down to a pistol. Benjamin sells the Marauder pistol in .22 (woods walker), I own one, great little gun. But like most pcp "pistols" it lands in the 18" over all length. It looks sweet though with Rapid's bullpup conversion kit. So far all I have found that is a true pistol dimension an still has respectable power and .22 is the Ataman ap16 compact.

I already have a .22 Maruder that I could use for this conversion vs. buying a new pistol and I do love tinkering with guns. The AP 16 is an interesting piece but a budget breaker for me @ $1000. I did buy a Air Force Talon P and turned into a great little carbine by adding a wood stock. I'm currently building a pistol based on the crosman 1377 with a old Benjamin breech/barrel in .20 cal. This rig seems to have some potential as a pest killer.

yea, the Ap16 is spendy, but it looks like you get what you pay for. Makes sense if you already got a platform to work with and you're comfortable hacking into it. From what I've seen once you get into shorter barrels inches matter a lot, the difference between a 6 inch barrel and an 8 inch barrel is huge, wheras the difference between a 20inch and 24inch barrel isn't as much, when it comes to power.

I have my P rod in a Rapid 70 stock ,and is a nice little rig .
Perfect for rabbit and feathers ,maybe up to 50/70 yards.
I'm itching for a Leshiy though .

1528227369_17915610035b16e62937f5a4.13792963_2016-05-22 11.13.33.jpg

If you enjoy and have the gear to DIT that "450.00 Co2" pistol might be a nice idea.
I have seen and fired many crosman 22xx/discovery rigs. Just add the discovery valve ( and pin it safely) and fill unit and you've got a lower psi ( 2,000psi max) pre-charged pistol.
Same parts but add something under $100.00 ( or make it ) for an SS tube, 3,000psi power house. I have seen an honest 40fpe ( WAISTING air) 12" barrel stainless 22XX put together for under $200.00. MikeT did a lot with these once upon a time.
$ for $ you cant do better than building up on a crosman rather than cutting one down.

Want more to start with a 1701P can be made to shoot really hot , pick a .cal, parts are low cost.

John

When I first emailed him a while back there was a delay in reply. He out of the country on business, as I understand it, making the kits is a side job of his. Once he first replied back to me, then communication was quick and very good. That was when I wanted just the upper rail, should have bought the whole kit at the time, but I was being quirky.
Its been a couple weeks since I tried to reach him last, but I imagine he may be away again.

When I first emailed him a while back there was a delay in reply. He out of the country on business, as I understand it, making the kits is a side job of his. Once he first replied back to me, then communication was quick and very good. That was when I wanted just the upper rail, should have bought the whole kit at the time, but I was being quirky.
Its been a couple weeks since I tried to reach him last, but I imagine he may be away again.

The Lelya is an excellent looking gun, cool to have the forward charging levers dual sided, how is the bark on it? But for the price I would probably go for a FX Wildcat those run $1,300 unless you go for a laminated stock.

The Lelya's moderator works great. Its just a low soild soft "thud". It is more expensive but worth the extra
$, in my opinion. The Lelya's price matches exacly what you get. The Lelya's shorter length, the 3 magazine holders in the rail, the LDC as standard, 10 shot mags (instead of Wildcat 8 shots), duel cocking on right and left sides, and walnut stock, and the abilty to go up to 300 bar, it is clearly the better deal for the money. If you add up a wildcat magazine holder, the wood stock upgrade, and a good moderator; and the attachment for the moderator, the Wildcat looks like a lesser of a deal.

I can agree with the value in regards to the magazines, moderator (not sure if the Wildcat needs one or not) and the dual cocking in a forward location is sweet. Wood stock is a wash for me, I can go synthetic or wood. the extra couple inches in the Wildcat gets you a 19.7" barrel over the Lelya's 14.84.

But the real question is how does the trigger and cocking compare? I remember Ted doing a comparison of his matador and wildcat (not the lelya, so there are differences) and the wildcat was the winner. Accuracy would seem to favor the wildcat, with a longer barrel, but i'm sure they are got great shooters in that field.

Yoopper , 

Instead of trying to mod a Marauder rifle, get a Marauder P rod,and ,buy a SS valve ,and swap the original one ,with it ,open the TP ,and you can get around 16 shots with JSB 18 gr. @ 850 fps (this is what I was told by the tunner that installed the regulator in mine .He also told me that can get 40 FPS with ease with that valve )
The valve runs for around $160 bucks,and you can open the TP yourself .
Might be a bit noisy ,but ,you can always add a moderator .