• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Marauder Questions/Guidance

I am helping a friend get into PCP's, he eventually will want 2, one for home pesting around his bird feeder and another later for his property. The first one I have chosen the Marauder for it's bang for the buck. I can get a .22 on the Crossman web site with the AG Nation discount for $404, that's pretty dang good. I have all the filling equipment so none of that is a consideration at this point. So, first question is, does this stock Marauder come with a regulator? Probably not as far as I can see but you can find a low priced reg on e-bay and from what I've read they work quite well. Would that reg be adjustable? What barrel comes on it? Is it accurate at about 30 yards give or take? If you get a custom model the discount doesn't work but you can get the Picatinny breech and a LW barrel, is that necessary for such a close target? The dovetail breech is also probably adequate for this purpose. I'm trying to keep this first one low cost because it will be a corner leaner for one purpose only at 30 yards. Isn't there a web site that sells drop in barrels for the Marauder? If bought from a tuner, who is reasonably priced to make sure it is ready out of the box? This guy is not mechanically inclined so I want to keep it user friendly so I don't have to mess with it after mounting the scope. Any other considerations? P.S. I'm also considering a .25 since I have a huge assortment of pellets to try and it's only an extra $22.

I'd say get him a stock gun and see how it performs. You probably won't need a regulator for close range, Just do a chrony test and see what the optimum fill pressure and shot count is. You may want an aftermarket barrel band for it if it's a corner leaner since the barrel and shroud float in the stock barrel band. I got fewer POI shifts by adding a spacer between the barrel band and shroud. I've seen folks use a big O-ring on the shroud to stabilize the barrel and shroud in the barrel band. You may also want to look at the Fortitude which is regulated in stock form. It doesn't develop the power that the Marauder does, but for 30-50 yards it should be fine on small varmints.

The beauty of the Marauder is they are optimally tuned at Crosman. Ideal choice for someone that just wants to shoot and not want to jack with it. There is no real need to do anything to the guns other than shoot them. The key as with these as with any air gun is selecting the best pellet. I've listed what I've found below. 

I've got all three calibers; two calibers in both generations ( gen 1 and gen 2 in .22 and .25) only my .177 is a gen 2. All guns are factory stock. No aftermarket parts installed. Only small adjustments to the three factory screw adjustments for fine tuning for particular applications. No regulators in installed. 

question #1 -

No. Only the Field and Target models come with a reg installed. The Field and Target models give up power in exchange for increased number of shots. You can accomplish the same level of performance yourself easily with the three adjustments on the gun. (but i'd suggest you leave the adjustments alone. The guns are optimized at Crosman) 

The HT or Hammer Throw, The HS or Hammer Spring and the VS or the Velocity Screw. All of which are pre set for an excellent balance of power and shot count. Add a regulator later if you really thing you need one. And yes, the regulators are adjustable but have to be removed to be adjusted. 

question #2 - 

The .177 and .22 are Crosman design and built and the .25 is a Green Mountain.

(Please know the barrels in the gen2 are not the same as what was in the early, early gen1 as you will find tons of negativity on the web surrounding the first releases of .177 and particularly .22 in the gen1's.)

question #3 - 

All three calibers are very accurate out of the box at 30 yards. They are accurate enough for hunting small game and pest control out to 50 yards. 

You do not need a "tuner" or aftermarket barrels unless you just feel the need to spend extra money. 

I'll try to save you some more money.

Pellets I have found the be the most accurate in my guns. Testing done at 40 yards. Fell free to test others as well. Your mileage may vary 

.177 - JSB 10.34

.22 - JSB 15.89 or JSB 18.13 with the 15.89 having a slight edge.

.25 - JSB 25.39

There are others pellets that shoot well I'm sure but these are the three that work best for my guns. 

My simple advice:

1. select the caliber that suits your need along with the recommended pellets,

2.charge the gun to 2700 psi (recommended pressure by Crosman for optimum shot string as found in the included documentation with the gun) zero at your desired distance.

3. Have fun. 

Good luck and let us know what you decide on. 

This was sent to me via private message so I thought I would share without showing I.D.

"nothing wrong with buying stock from Crosman. Actually a great idea. If you want to remove all doubt about the 22 barrels, or avoid spending another $250 for a Lothar Walter or Marmot Militia barrel upgrade, just get a 25 caliber. Comes factory with the accurate Green Mountain barrel. The 25 cal Marauder was my first air rifle into this PCP hobby that I got into last year this month, as a matter of fact.

If you later want to add aftermarket mods, look no further than the products that Tim Hill makes at Hill Airguns.com. Within 1 month of buying the Marauder, I bought his premium kit along with his moderator and Peek Hammer striker. The premium kit was well worth the expense cause I wasn’t “in the know” when it came to tuning these. This kit by passes all tuning cause Tim Hill designs everything to be plug and play. My end result is a regulated high power gun that shoots 40 shots at 40 foot lbs. at a consistent average of around 860 feet per second, and still so very accurate.

with the combination of the Hill moderator and Peek striker, all I hear when I shoot is a PPPFFFTTTT! Then a TTHHHWWAAAKK! When it hits the target. Truly a James Bond rifle, lol.

Tim also sells, ready to go, brand new 22 and 25 cal Marauder rifles that he already put in all his premium parts inside, if you want to avoid doing so. 

I just recently added a PRod to accompany my rifle. The Marauder pistol is the perfect pesting tool. So very light, stealthy carbine. I’m getting ready to order some Hill parts for it in about a day or so.

Check out his site. Great thing about Tim is he isn’t the typical vendor, that once you buy from him all communications stop. To this day I still email him questions and he always responds."

Marauder questions -
Regulator out of the box - No, unless you buy the Field and Target version.
Accurate to 30 yards - Mine gives 1.5 inch groups at 75 yards with 18.4 JSB pellets
Regulators from eBay are adjustable, but you must remove the regulator from the air tube to do the adjustments.
Lothar Walthar barrel, completely unnecessary. the Crosman barrels are much improved from years past. Mine is 5 years old and shoots like a dream.
I'd go with the .22 for pesting, plenty of power for squirrels and such. .25 is overkill. Plus .22 more economical with 30 shots per fill vs 16 shots for .25. Nothing worse than filling every 5 minutes.
Mounting a scope is easy, buy set of $10 rings from Walmart, Mount the scope, and sight in. Tuner can't position the scope properly for you, position varies per person.
I'd also use a 4 x scope for 30 yards. Plenty of magnification, low cost.

Gen 2 marauders come with a "depinger" installed from the factory

Good luck on whatever you do. The Marauder shoots great out of the box and Crosman will give you the factory settings for all components, which I find work very well. Save the money and just mount the scope, sight and start shooting. Love my Marauder, though I am currently spoiled with an FX. Both guns do incredibly well.

If you want a regulated gun, think about the Fortitude, it's $300 on PA or AGD, PA has a 10% discount for Airgun Nation subscribers, and it is regulated and uses Marauder magazines.

New to the market, but gets great reviews (except for the trigger that can be fixed with a quick mod)

Stock from the factory should be just fine. If wanting a regulator grab the $69.00 one off ebay it works like a charm and is adjustable ( was the first one the market ). But as others have staed at your range it wont be needed, then again every shot the same start to ( drop off reg ) finish with no "sweet spot" to think about can be great for new folks.

You can click around here for a first timers look into the marauder ( gen 1 but that doesnt matter ):

https://avveduti.wordpress.com/tag/marauder/

Good choice for getting started.

John

for the lower power closer pesting I would go with a Pistol Maruader, get a Huma regulator and a MM/WAR hammer forged barrel. I had mine set about 12fpe muzzle, Huma regulator at 90bars and was able to shoot 6 magazine before needing to pump up. With such a small air reservoir it was a breeze to hand pump. With a red dot I was limited to 25yards for small pest, but with a some magnification 4x or 6x it can go farther I think up to 50 yards for birds.

For more power go with a Maruader rifle in .25, as others have said, it will give longer range with more power to get larger pest like racoons. I would add a Huma regulator set at about 130bars and that should get you about 40+fpe muzzle, and also a Hill kit. Should do 100yards.

My Maruader .22 has a MM/WAR barrel, Huma regulator set at 130bar and Hill valve with larger transfer port and lite hammer shoots 28fpe muzzle (940fps w/CPHP 14.3g) with 3 magazines before needing to pump.