• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Making Leshiy 2 quiet

Just focusing on moderator here. What are you guys using as I want to avoid adding too much additional length to the rifle. I’m specifically interested in the stackable option of the Huma moderators offered on EDgunwest. Any one using these? How effective? How much length was added? Are there any other admins that are needed to us these moderator with the L2?

I appreciate all you input!

Beach-gunner

Dennis

Dennis -

Speaking with Brian a while back he said the Huma moderators are very effective. They seem to have a similar setup to the Huggett Astille which I confirmed to be pretty quiet as well. 

I'll recommend you check out the STO FLAX and SARISSA moderators with high flow internals. I believe you can get them with 14x1.25 threading, but I got mine with 1/2 UNF to be more flexible across airguns. I'm using the Eagle Vision Vulcan adapter that AoA sells. The Flax is the smaller of the two and is very effective with a 60fpe .25 setup. The Sarissa is even more effective if you don't mind the extra length and will make it indoor friendly. 

I got the Eagle Vision adapter to 1/2” so I could swap and use what ever I settle with on any of my guns . The adapter extends about 1/2” or so beyond the Valkyrie forearm so there isn’t any problem if the moderator is larger than the forearm. I still use the Valkyrie shroud by using an o ring on the barrel just behind the adapter and the shroud slides on nice and tight against the moderator. Makes it look like OEM Valkyrie again. I too am waiting to hear more owner reviews before I purchase another moderator.. I tried a Donny FL Ronin and it sounds different but I don’t think any quieter. This is a 450mm x .30 pushing 45 grain pellets at 910 FPS. A 350 and 250mm barrel will be louder yet depending on how hot you tune it. It is not that important to me if it is say as quiet as my .22 Crown or even my .30 Maverick compact as I don’t care how quiet your airgun is you still only get one shot at game . They know they have been shot at and yes other game within their hearing ability will hear it but like hunting with a .22 LR you just have to be still for a while and they start moving around again. It’s more important to me that humans don’t hear the shot or know what it is. 

After seeing Edgun West YouTube channel and listening to his Leshiy 2 in .25 with huma stackable 4 moderator, it’s got a soft sound to it and no bark. I’ll probably got this route myself.

Brian and Donny of DonnyFL are working on something for the L2 with an appropriate release date in March so might want to hang on for that. 

After seeing Edgun West YouTube channel and listening to his Leshiy 2 in .25 with huma stackable 4 moderator, it’s got a soft sound to it and no bark. I’ll probably got this route myself.

Brian and Donny of DonnyFL are working on something for the L2 with an appropriate release date in March so might want to hang on for that.

watching

I’m excited because I will be in the woods for a field study....squirrel hunting / scouting pre-season Turkey locations after February 10 as Squirrel season goes out 3-15 in Alabama and Turkey season comes in on March 20. During this time I’ll be able to use the Leshiy 2 in the real world of squirrel hunting to see how squirrels react to the sound type and level of a shot, of course I’ll be monitoring the reaction of the post shot survivors only! 

Beach-gunner

Dennis

73DDE497-8D37-4EBD-A626-B7BE2CB32FAC.1611839791.jpeg
8E40E6D2-98E3-4197-81A4-F6BB48934B82.1611839793.jpeg

In a bid to try and keep me busy and maintain some sanity during this continuing lockdown, idle hands and all that. I'm in the process of modifying the original setup's end cap to have a 1/2 UNF thread.

I've drilled the exit hole out and threaded it to 1/2 UNF. I will then drill through the centre of a 1/2 UNF grub screw (on order), which I'll screw in and bond into place. 

I will then test with the 2 moderators available to me. My FX crown's (which I have done a "hair curler" mod on), and also a buddy's AM Custom - Marksman. I plan to test with and without the original baffle setup in place, see if that makes a difference.

I can confirm that the Shopot I have on my “new to me” 350 mm with Valkyrie 350 aluminum hand guard on it is GARBAGE as far as noise moderation. It literally is louder by a long shot than any other air gun I have ever fired, including a non moderated Steyr Hunting 5 Auto. It is actually the closest thing I have to sounding like a true firearm. 

Luckily, I don’t care at all. I can shoot in my backyard and not worry too much about noise... so not at 11pm, but during the day I don’t have neighbors that care that much.

I might order one of the STO Sarissa and have it for anytime I need to be quiet. Would love to hear even a video of how it sounds with that thing on there...