• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

M3 impact slug question

I have a 30 caliber M3 with the 800 mm tensioned slug barrel it also has the power block but I still have the stock hammer. I have a Tungsten Hammer weight I just haven't had a chance to put it in and I can't see that chance coming anytime soon. Well, getting to my question. I am shooting Nielsen 47.2 gr slugs at 970 ft per second and my group is about an inch and a half at 35 yards. The tech I spoke to at FX thought the slugs were too light and if I went with a heavier slug my group should tighten up. Now my question is what would you say the heaviest slug I could use with the Factory Hammer without changing the tune that I already have in there? (see pic)

Screenshot_20230208-214509_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Just out of curiousity; why can't you install the tungsten hammer?

It is only a 10 minute install if you know what you are doing.

As others have also stated, try other tunes with the slugs to see if the group tightens up. Could be a different diameter slug may be better too. If it is a new barrel, then maybe a little break in time will settle it down too.

Researching others M3 tunes and setups for the 30 cal on AGN could prove benificial also.

Best of luck

Before you buy new slugs try tuning the gun to the ones you have.
all of your hammer and valve related adjusters are basically maxed out.
You may be getting too long of an air impulse and it is washing the back of the slug after it leaves the barrel.
Also found that its no good to have the hammer/valve maxed out, and I've since then got a costum made tungsten washer kit so I can increase / decrease hammer weight with down to 0,5 g and I only use the original spring until now, until now my impacts have shot anything well, only for the 10 gr KO .177 slugs I need to try with a lighter than 6g hammer weight, been working on a 3D print and the add some of my costum tungsten washers
It was with .22 KO slugs I found that 8.5 g hammer was perfect in the middle of the hammer spring scale (micro adjuster) when my tune was in balance arround 990 fps, 9.5g was too much and and I could not go low enough with hammer spring, and 7.5g was not enough as I maxed out the hammer spring, optimal hammer weight is very important in my opinion ;-)

Last edited: