• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

LW barrel on FX Impact

Let see? Where to start?
In order to install the brass end on a different barrel you'd probably need to machine the end to accept the part?
So if you're already have access to a lathe to machine the barrel? Why not just machine a brass fitting?

Are you hoping to improve on the accuracy of the Impact?? Not sure if any gains in accuracy (Or if any is possible) would be worth the trouble/cost?? The STX Barrels are about as good as they come. IMHO.
Are you hoping to reduce the weight?? I believe the STX barrels are much lighter than a LW barrel.

Some times if it ain't broke why fix it??

But in any case good luck!
Have fun!

It’s a big job to machine a LW barrel for an Impact. To start with you have to reduce half the length of the barrel from the standard LW diameter of 16mm down to 14mm. Then another smaller step down to 13,5mm in the last section where the orings fit. 
I have a LW polygon barrel for my Impact and it’s a great barrel for shooting King Heavies at 890 fps but I’m sure as Thurmond has said the smooth x will be the way to go now. Maybe get yourself the 700mm barrel then you have the convenience to change liners and shoot whatever projectile you like. 

I own a lathe and a milling machine and I learned years ago machinist. However, my problem is the oring groove inside the barrel. For the 0.177 barrel it`s really not easy to do with my machine. My lathe is too big for such fine working.
​I think also that it would be cheaper to buy this brass end from FX and last but not least I`m still angry that I got the "wrong" STX barrels from my dealer.
​@glem.chally thanks for the part #
​Regarding the STX liners for changing the twist. It was a big sh.. to dismantle the inliner from the barrel. The barrel was mounted with Loctite on the threads and it was a dirty job to get the inliner out from barrel. Yes, if you have done once it would be easier to dismantle again, but only w/o using Loctite again. I hope the barrel inliner will be fixed well when I mount w/o using Loctite ...

The dealer is located in another country, so I`m tired to handle the whole custom and return work again and I still get no answer back from the dealer ... My Impact is new and I assume the STX barrels are also new. For correct understanding: The outer part of the barrel (with inside threats) was secured with Loctite into the Metall fitting which is fixing the whole barrel with the screw on the right side off the gun.
​My lathe can hold the barrel easy, but 4,5 mm bore (0,177) is really very small to get a groove inside. I still don`t own (and find) such a small steel to turn-in small grooves.

I can understand why someone would put LW barrel on Impact, especially in .22, .25, .30 and up. History has shown that a rifled (land and groove) barrel is more versatile with regards to shooting different projectiles. The LW, CZ barrels don't seem to be as pellet picky as the ST barrels of FX. FX tried to squeeze as much accuracy as possible by matching ST with the best made Diabolo pellets of JSB, and did a good job. But now technology of the projectile is advancing...slugs with better BC than Diabolo at longer ranges. This is why you are seeing FX changing to the STX barrel systems. A system that imparts controls over the length of the barrel, rather than ST which choked and twisted at the muzzle end. Unfortunately the advancement of projectiles is going the increase the cost on FX owner's as the older ST technology will need to be replaced by STX barrels. Of course IMOP. This is why I only own Vulcan .25 and Tiapan Veteran .22, not that FX AG are inferior at all, just that projectiles are changing.

Dennis

"Beach-gunner"I can understand why someone would put LW barrel on Impact, especially in .22, .25, .30 and up. History has shown that a rifled (land and groove) barrel is more versatile with regards to shooting different projectiles. The LW, CZ barrels don't seem to be as pellet picky as the ST barrels of FX. FX tried to squeeze as much accuracy as possible by matching ST with the best made Diabolo pellets of JSB, and did a good job. But now technology of the projectile is advancing...slugs with better BC than Diabolo at longer ranges. This is why you are seeing FX changing to the STX barrel systems. A system that imparts controls over the length of the barrel, rather than ST which choked and twisted at the muzzle end. Unfortunately the advancement of projectiles is going the increase the cost on FX owner's as the older ST technology will need to be replaced by STX barrels. Of course IMOP. This is why I only own Vulcan .25 and Tiapan Veteran .22, not that FX AG are inferior at all, just that projectiles are changing.
Dennis
This was my concern with the ST barrels also. But now that they have interchangable liners? I just placed my order for a new impact. Hopefully it will be everything it hyped up to be?
If not I just might machine down a Polygonal LW barrel to fit on the Impact also!

"schoofsbock"The dealer is located in another country, so I`m tired to handle the whole custom and return work again and I still get no answer back from the dealer ... My Impact is new and I assume the STX barrels are also new. For correct understanding: The outer part of the barrel (with inside threats) was secured with Loctite into the Metall fitting which is fixing the whole barrel with the screw on the right side off the gun.
​My lathe can hold the barrel easy, but 4,5 mm bore (0,177) is really very small to get a groove inside. I still don`t own (and find) such a small steel to turn-in small grooves.
Why not do what Ernest suggested and just machine down the LW barrel to fit? No real need for the brass end.

"toku58"
"schoofsbock"The dealer is located in another country, so I`m tired to handle the whole custom and return work again and I still get no answer back from the dealer ... My Impact is new and I assume the STX barrels are also new. For correct understanding: The outer part of the barrel (with inside threats) was secured with Loctite into the Metall fitting which is fixing the whole barrel with the screw on the right side off the gun.
Why not do what Ernest suggested and just machine down the LW barrel to fit? No real need for the brass end.
Because he can’t machine the inner breech oring groove to seal the pellet probe on a bore as small as 0.177
Doesn’t have and currently can’t find the correct bit, or whatever it’s called.

Its of course a good possibility to machine down the LW barrel to fit. But Im scared for the very small oring groove inside the barrel. It`s done much easier to drill with a screw tap the threat into the LW barrel to fit the brass part.
​However, the whole and complete LW barrel is only a little bit more expensive than the little bit FX inliner. I`m not informed a all, what is possible regarding change of twist rates with LW barrel ...
​If you can get variable twist rates with LW barrels you are also able to change the whole barrel much more easier and more quickly than the overpriced FX inliner.

"schoofsbock"Hey, if the LW barrel Comes with inside oring groove it would be fine. But is it on the right position ??? I don`t know ...
The inner Oring only needs to provide a seal for the probe. Even if machining it moves it's position by a few thousands? It should still work. As long as it provides a good pressure seal.

Then your only concern would be the outer o-rings and the proper OD of the barrel. that shouldn't be very hard to do. Easier than threading the barrel to fit the brass piece and assuring the proper alignment of the barrel and fitting. IMHO.