• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Lube on Cast Bullets

Has anyone tried lubing or lubed bullets in their big bore air rifles (.357 and larger) and if yes, have you found it was helpful (if yes, what), made no difference, or was detrimental (if yes, what was the problem)?

I'm curious if lube acts like dieseling with small caliber air rifles in big bores or since velocities are slow, does it do nothing, slow the bullet speed, require more frequent barrel cleaning, or affect accuracy. 

I'm surprised no one has addressed this. Speaking from a firearm perspective...

Lubing lead bullets in black powder arms has been done for centuries. Lard was the lubricant of choice many years ago. Now, synthetics are being used. Low velocity centerfire cartridges often use leads bullets, but most of the time they also use gas-check discs. But all of these bullets are propelled by gunpowder, and typically in a steel barrel.

We all know that a run-of-the-mill pellet rifle have a brass barrel. Lead against brass is slippery enough that lubricant isn't necessary. And, as you point out, may indeed cause dieseling. This doesn't address the steel barrels! Since I don't have experience with this specific issue, I can only guess what is appropriate. I suspect, it depends on the lubricant. For example, beeswax has been used, and I don't think beeswax will diesel! 

All this said, I'm playing around with Danzac (Tungsten DiSulfide). It works much better in firearms than molybdenum disulfide, and without so much rub off issues. One thing is for sure. Danzac-coated pellets average about 10% lower velocities than uncoated ones, which means the stuff increases the slipperiness of the pellet's barrel transition time. 

Of course, this means I need to mod the valve unit, to allow higher pressure (more pumps), so stay tuned!