• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Low Cost/Low Power/High Enjoyment Airgun Stable

As Monty Python was apt to announce, "And now for something completely different." My current stable of airguns, the majority of which belong right here in this category. None produce more than 11.5 fpe (and that only one, my only .22 and a PCP at that) and each is included in my collection for its suitability for indoor/backyard shooting. Accuracy is also a big factor.

My CO2 pistols (top to bottom): a Crosman 357 (no grip housing- hated that cheap plastic thing) with pellet casings, a Daisy 426 BB 15-shot, and a Crosman Custom Shop 2300S with a CenterPoint 2x pistol scope. The 2300S is by far the class of the set and is my go-to gun for indoor target shooting.

1587518113_14664664475e9f9aa1d84019.04998404.jpg

And now my rifles. I'll skip the top two as they are PCPs and out of scope here. Begin with the Daisy 853 in wood stock and sporting a Crosman Diopter set stolen from the Challenger above it, next is a Crosman 1077 with a Picatinny adapter and 4x32 Spike scope, a Daisy 2840 SSP with rifled steel barrel, a Crosman Pumpmaster 760 smooth bore, and a Daisy 105 Buck. Nothing fancy, just work-a-day airguns that fill every niche I have in limited space and time (and $$$). The 853 is a gun store find with a steel barrel extension that gives it a little more juice than typical for this type of gun. The 1077 is surprisingly accurate once I mastered the trigger's pseudo-two stage action; first stage advances the magazine to the next pellet while the 2nd stage actually lets off the shot. The Buck is for training my grandkids, the 760 is a red-headed stepchild and basically unwanted, and the Daisy 2840 is the test bed for my experiments with lead roundball ammo. Since the barrel on the 2840 is sized for actual .177 lead pellets I figure the nominally-.177-sized roundballs ought to feed OK. What's life without a little risk and experimentation?

1587518112_5612638555e9f9aa0b89da1.84281883.jpg

I posted this just as a kind of 'throw-back' to the guns I read about on AGN when I first joined, and as an encouragement to other AGN members who haven't and probably never will shell out the kind of money that it takes to sponsor an Edgun for citizenship, or take a stroll with a Taipan beside a still pond, or host an exotic Swedish beauty tattooed with an "FX" on her spacious plenum. Simple guns meant to bring a smile to your face and not cause palpitations to your wallet.

Soak it all in, guys and gals, and think back to the days when the 'PLINK' of a BB on a can at 15 yards was a thrill to hear, and the 'SMACK' of a wadcutter at 25 yards on a steel spinner had you reaching for the next pellet before you even realized you weren't done shooting for the day. Good times, good guns.

Great Post. I agree fully. The low cost simple is more enjoyment than the high end PCP's.

Just upgraded to a Daystate PCP, but living in town can't shoot without packing it up, air tanks, pellets, targets and driving to the range. More often than not I find myself in the basement with a Crosman 66 that I pulled from someone's trash. Cleaned it up, dumped a mass of rusted bb's, a few new o-rings, and it shoots great, just doesn't look it. Cheap crosman 4x 3/4" tube scope, and at 30 feet I'm keeping ten shots inside a nickel, standing. Can't get much more fun than that. And of course getting a good upper body workout from all the pumping. Hardest part is finding enough pellets to keep it fed.

The cheap and simple are just addictive.

Enjoy.

That .357 is one of my favorites. Most pistols are inaccurate junk. The .357 has adjustable rear sights and with the rifled barrel its very accurate with pellets. I own 1 of the originals and 2 of the viglantes. At the price of 60ish dollars you get ill buy these year after year versus the higher end pellet pistols that all seem to have problems. My sig p226 was 125 dollars and shoots low and to the left and is so under powered. Should of just bought 2 more of these.