• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Losing the squirrel war ...

Peppermint oil, strobes, high freq sound, Hav-a-hart type traps. But the battle will go on forever unless you find how they are getting in and out. Once you do, set up a game camera and learn their timetable. After that's done just set up a blind about 25 yards away and have at it with a good airgun. Headshots only and wait until they're a good distance from the entrance. If you wound one it'll go back in the attic to die. Once you're convinced they're all gone, close off all entrances. 

Been there, done that bro

Glenn in Texas

As mentioned above, Don't worry about driving them out.

Use bait in your yard to lure them out and then, well, you know 🎯

I use the cheapest smooth peanut butter spread on something that they cannot run away with.

Even a piece of cardboard works lol.

Peanuts and seeds etc work to a point but the critters just grab and go.

A piece of 2x4 with holes drilled in it then peanut butter spread into the holes works great.

Keeps them nice and still for an easy target 👍

Once you bag enough of them, find and seal off any points of entry into your house.

My neighbor has the same exact problem! He tried the strobe lights, traps, coyote urine, Glue traps, sealing up everything, pepper powder, predator sounds.......everything you can think of and 5 different pest control companies later and he is exact words to me are: “the only thing that worked is you”

So yes, bait and target practice. Also seal up the roof when they are gone, hopefully not to the tune of $20k my neighbor had to spend. 

Edit: forgot to add the tree rats chewed my neighbor’s water line and electric wires. Fortunately he had relatively minor water damage and replaced the electrical wires before it burned down his house. 

I sympathize. We had an attic flying squirrel problem a few years back, which is good/bad news compared to the larger daytime critters. The flying squirrels aren't quite as destructive, but they're harder to keep out, only takes a half-inch opening. I trapped them, and then paid Critter Control to seal up everything. If you have gray squirrels, then there is an opening somewhere that should be visible. If you have gable vents, use heavy duty wire screen to block it. not the kind screen door stuff the builders usually put up there. Since gray squirrels are active in the daytime, they will not be there when work is going on to install whatever barriers are needed, or closing up holes. I get rid of them when I can in the back yard, but my safe shooting area is limited. Good luck.

i 'had' a major squirrel problem until i got a benjamin marauder, its quiet enough nobody even knows what your doing just dont pop their windows out ... but yeah, dont try to shoot them in the attic .. just shot every one you see until you rarely see one .. i hate to kill them all myself .. just keep going until it gets pretty quiet around there lol ... depending on where you live you might want to keep an extra box of heavy duty garbage bags onhand to wrap them up and chuck them in a bin somewhere ..

I grew up hunting and eating squirrel but haven't in a long time. Luckily, I have a cousin nearby who still loves to eat them so I don't feel bad about killing them. I had a major problem with them early this past year so I removed at least a dozen across the summer/early fall. Haven't seen one in the trees since. But you do have to keep after them.

They are having their young at this time of year. You can run mom off with a stick or may have to shoot her while in attic. Find the nest and kill the babies. You could try and put up a trap in the attic and catch mom. Dad will gather food during the day. You must seal off entrance!!! They will chew on electrical wires ( their tusks will grow 6' in their life span so they must keep them trimmed back) they will cause a fire...

Wife is against baiting , so ..... I'll have to go in the attic and put hatchet marks on something valuable of hers .

Dang squirrels musta ....

OMG that’s too funny!!! Entrapment! Or is that framing?!?
1f602.svg
1f923.svg
1f602.svg

H: "Honey, look what they did to your .....!"

W: "What?! Kill them all!!!"

Pest control out here does not do squirrel jobs. It's a diy situation. They know it's futile unless you murder the whole rat pack. 

Yes, fire damage potential is there. There's little more annoying than those rodents chewing on the lumber inside walls or attic. 

I'd see them above my door about to enter the attic and make a mental note to assassinate the very ones that crossed my path. It was very satisfying to smack them in the skull with pellets and send their little gray squirrel balls to heaven where the bobcats, coyote and coons feast on their corpses.

Did I mention I hate rodents? 

The best trap I found for our barn rats was a 5 gallon bucket with 8" of water and a thin layer or vermiculite floating on top. That is a light weight, volcanic rock that is used in potting soils. The granular nature of the rock allows a quicksand like operation. I floated a small bit of bait on a Gatorade lid in the middle of the quicksand. Rats would jump in the bucket and sink to the bottom. The downside was having to reach into that bucket and remove the dead rats that were hidden under the sand.

I am not sure it would work for squirrel. They are so much better at jumping, stretching and others wise avoiding traps.