• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Losing the squirrel war ...

In some way I’m a little sad to say in my little yard I’m winning the war with squirrels. After 30 something squirrels I haven’t seen one in months till 2 days ago but it ran off before I could get a shot. Was hoping it would show up again but haven’t seen it in 2 days. I use to see squirrels all over the neighborhood but now and days I don’t even see them until I drive at least 1/4 mile away. 

My oaks drop acorns during squirrel season that seems to draw them into the back yard. When that wanes, I hang a bird feeder. They like cheap bird feed even better than acorns. Wanting to feed the birds seems pretty innocent to me.

I've taken 16 in the back yard since December. I see them a lot less now - but the bait, natural and added by me, isn't out either. They have not made it into the house yet but used to run over the roof a lot. Chewed the gutters too (I have gutter guards and I think they were trying to get to something that they could see in the gutter).

I finished out the year with 93 confirmed .

Today I took number two for this year . It went like this :

Was eating scambled eggs and sausage . Gun propped in the corner ; I see a squirrel come over the fence . I locked the dog in the bedroom so she wouldn't scare the tree rat off . Got the screen door open while it was facing away from me , crap , the wind pulled the door open slamming into the bench with a loud bang , cover blown . Rat bolts through the fence but up a tree into a perfect shooting position , gotcha muther f**ker . Sent one between the eyes and he was dead before he hit the ground . Hell Yah ! I sat back down to finish my now cold breakfast but I was so excited from shooting that squirrel that my hand kept shaking all the eggs off my fork LOL . I decided to just give my plate to the dog as I was feeling pretty satified already . So the dog and I had eggs and sausage while I feed the squirrel some lead . Feels like a good day .

I promise each one of you the limb rats will return. I too am at that point. I go weeks without a sighting and then they start to filter back in. I killed 3 last week, One was literally running to and from a tree within 25 yds. of the house. The tree is draped in ornamental ivy vines. I suspect there is a nest in it. The limb rat would run like it's tail was on fire through adjacent trees in the evening into that tree. In the morning it would haul ass away from that tree. This went on for several days. Finally one morning last week it actually briefly stopped in a pecan tree for a couple seconds at about 40 yds. I was tracking it through my scope. I quickly squeezed off a shot with the ,22 Daystate Revere. I was aiming just behind the shoulder. The JSB Hades hit home with a whack. The squirrel fell but caught a limb about 10 ft below. It dangled for about 10 more seconds and fell to the ground. I went back into the house and let my dobie out. He ran around & cut the scent of the squirrel & found it. The squirrel was dead.

I killed two more at a range of 40-50 yards during the week with my .22 maverick sniper.

I have gone weeks without seeing a limb rat from the sniper window I post about. That is until yesterday. I spotted one feeding on the ground at between 115-130 yards. I never could get it to stay still long enough to get a shot at it with my Huben. It kept hopping around scratching for food. I am watching for it. It's days are numbered. 

Shooting squirrels can be fun. But in this situation I recommend: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K6JKVLS

I've had friends who work form home get 20 in 2 days. Depends on how frequently you can remove the dead squirrels from the trap.

mravacado.1650816590.jpg

I caught over 100 red squirrels and chipmunks last year in two have a hart traps. Used black sunflower seeds. One thing I found out if you are seeing them there is more than what you think. Continue to trap for a week after the last one. They are getting on your roof by limbs or crawling up the downspouts. Trim limbs and. screen in the downspouts. They may be crossing a wire, sniper them off. Reds are a plague.