• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Looking for suggestions and comments on scope for Rattler .357

I've been away from the PCP addiction for a few years and found myself thrust back in very recently with my purchase of a Rattler .357. I found a list of

The 10 Best Air Rifle Scopes in 2023 that I'd like to get comments on. Do you agree? If not why not? etc. I plan to use mostly as a hunting rifle with a max usable range of 200 yards down to 20, and that is probably pushing it but still want to be able to shoot at that far. I prefer 2nd focal plane so I'm thinking 3x12 ish right now. Based on price does not matter, what would you choose as top 3 choices? Edit: I found a list I like more than the first one. 19 Best Air Rifle Scopes in 2023

Last edited:
Not so much,you want the best for your purpose, what is your purpose?
I always say Leupold, Sightron, some highter end Burris, and the Bushnell Elites.
My take is simple,there is no need to spend more than what you really need
Yes the higher-end Athlon scopes,the Austrian, German and Czch scopes can be good.
You want ED fully multi-coated glass,Japanese glass works great.
How often are you going to shoot beyond 100 yds?
Sightron has some great scopes.

I should mention I have a Athlon Midas BTR 2.5-15 x 50 I took off a Marauder I've never tried. I won't go into why I've never tried it. I'll most likely put that on while I research a replacement.
That's a good start and likely superior to many of the scopes in your lists.
BUT if that particular Midas is a 1st Generation the click action might be very soft which isn't the best for hunting while walking around. The G2's were much improved in different ways.

I can't recommend the Athlon Helos G2 DMR 2-12x42 enough, especially in mil. It's FFP but the reticle is large enough to see on 2x and works great at 12x too. I own two that are awesome scopes for the money. Of the scopes listed below this is my favorite all around choice for plinking, long range steel, or mid range hunting, though granted I only varmint hunt. Quite a few here on AN feel the same way.

The Athlon Heras 2-12x42 is a 1" tubed SFP scope but it doesn't have a lot of elevation travel and the reticle is a bit fine. It's like the old 3-9's but MUCH more versatile. The glass is good as well. I have this scope and it's big brother 4-20. If I absolutely didn't need 2x I'd get the 4-20.
This 2-12 I have on a 22 magnum and have zero problems hitting 2.2 moa steel 300 yards away.
Have the 4-20 on a 5mm centerfire and was just hitting steel at 1122 yards away, yes at that distance. For what they are they do a great job.

Next would be the Athlon ETR 3-18x50 which is also FFP. The reticle is mostly daylight bright so although not ideal on 3x for hunting it will suffice as it can barely be made out and 18x has benefits when wanted. This is more expensive than the others I mentioned.

Keep in mind most hunters will not be on 2x to 3x. I prefer 4x if I have to make a fast shot or need the FOV.

Unlimited budget, I'm not exactly sure, but for focusing close and great build quality along with a bunch of desirable attributes the March 4.5-28x52 would be my pick. I can't help but be interested in March's 1.5-15 DFP but I know from past experience those super short scopes have optical compromises.

I tend to forget that SFP scopes need to be on one magnification for the hashes to be the correct size and then I wonder why I missed, LOL!

@Azycray Tough question and difficult to go on how others rate the glass in a scope aside from chromatic aberration and light fighting ability. Beyond that I think a lot of opinions on glass and image quality (with the exception of the aforementioned aspects) are subjective. That’s mainly because we have different needs, uses, and eyesight.

As a hunter I use what works. I prefer FFP scopes primarily because when it comes to DOPE, only have a single set of data to deal with for a specific set of environmental conditions regardless of the magnification used on said scope. Also, as a hunter I need my shots to land within a specific radius that can often be a lot larger than a tiny bullseye. Think of an animal’s heart or lungs. So my requirements are to be able to see the reticle against the animals’ fur in order to place my shot where I want to shoot. If the scope can do that and holds zero as I traverse the woods where I may trip, fall, or bump the gun/scope against a tree, that works for me. Just some things to consider.

The elevation knob is adjustable, and since I don't plan on shooting past 200 yards I don't think it will be an issue. Where have I heard that before?:unsure:
It has Leupold's Custom Dial System® (CDS®), which allows shooters to order a laser-marked bullet-drop dial to match their exact ballistics and conditions. I'll look into that but I can mark the turret myself. I would have liked the hash marks as well but for some reason they were not available.

Last edited: