• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Let's talk about..... "Hammers!"

So then..... Everything seems to be sorted as far as "In the mail " goes...
Except one thing. The hammer.
Now, forgive my obviousity... The hammer is released to hit a pin releasing the compressed air into the tube and behind the pellet.

I've seen a few issues on springs. What's a good spring to drive the hammer then? I've also seen some information on hammers with flutes!!!!!!!

Could someone really help me understand the implications of a good and bad hammer. Theory or otherwise.
Because this is an item I need to customise on my 1377 but I need to understand. 
I have all the flat top piston kits and larger breathing ports and etc etc... so the punch should be pretty much 110%... I'm just floundering on hammers.

Many thanks in advance.
Armstrong.

You'll only have a partial valve dump if you are over pumping. I have a diy modified piston, internally stock valve, stock hammer and spring on my 1322. I can pump it up enough to send 14.3gr pellets at 600fps with a full dump. You check for retained air after a shot by loading a pellet and firing without additional pumping. If the gun doesn't fire, your getting a full dump. The only builds I know of that have air retention, use highly modified valves and pistons with rifle length barrels, and are pushing 20fpe.