• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Let's see your squirrel feeder

Built this a couple years ago out of scraps, it's about to rot out so want to build another. Mine has worked well - sent quite a few squirrels to the ground below with a hole in their head. Actually gonna build 2 - one for the upper yard and one for the backyard. Interested in stealing some good ideas.

IMG-1800.jpg

One of my winter projects is to make 2 or 3 lightweight squirrel feeders that I just attach to a tree with a bungee cord or two. This fall I cut three 1” thick slabs of an 8” diameter log and placed them on high spots in my kill zone and put some good birdseed mix on them. Worked pretty good, especially for chipmunks who spend most of their time on the ground.
I don’t really need a hopper on it as I don’t leave them after I finish hunting.
Just something to tinker with.

Here's an early one I built with a rear storage cavity that gravity feeds into the tray. Hand screws on the sides for removing the lid to refill it. Hardiboard scraps on the top with generous overhang for keeping the food dry. Sheet metal backstop.
top installed.jpg

It brought in a steady stream of both birds and squirrels. But also raccoons, who would quickly rake the contents out onto the ground. Keeping it filled was a chore, despite many of the trash pandas earning a dirt nap for their efforts.

I made subsequent ones with a hopper:
assembled and filled.jpg

installed.jpg

visitors_sm.jpg

Naturally, raccoons hit this one as well but the hopper seems to slow them down so I don't have to refill so often.

Reactions: ThirdPlace
Mine is for pest control reasons. Nothing fair here, it’s war in my over populated neighborhood. I have mine set up in front of an oak tree, but in front of that is 3 layers of fence boards. Usually the squirrels will grab from the peanut box and go back over to the platform feeder. Except this fatty that sat down in it and ate. I have an old rubber truck bed liner I’m going to cut up and put behind the fake turf to further deaden the noise.

The feeding tray was retired from first line bird use in a spot only the bravest squirrels try and get to, they have to hope my JRT doesn’t see them. The reason I set it up is for rat and mouse control at night. The neighbor behind me has poorly taken care of hunting dogs in kennels and they always spill dog food on the ground, so constant rodent problems. I thin the squirrel hordes in the spring while they are mating and looking for new territory. My blue jays vocally let me know if a greedy squirrel is in the feeder.

I have a cheap home security camera I attach to the wood that protrudes out. It’s IR and I have an IR flood light for my yard. It will send me motion alerts. It’s powered by a Walmart usb power bank that I zip tie to the wood stake I use to hold the camera

IMG_1669.png

IMG_1671.png

IMG_1670.png

IMG_1672.png

IMG_1673.png

Last edited:
The only thing that lasts is the mailboxes made out of sheet metal. I turn them on the side and use an angle grinder to cut an opening. Then I bolt on some angle iron for a trough. Only bears can get in so far. It's actually much cheaper than building one from wood, unless you like to waste the time and have excess lumber around.

Reactions: qball
Here's a photo of one of the feeders I built. It prevents shots from penetration at least up to 18-19 ft lbs muzzle energy and less than 20 yards.

Yes, there is lumber here which I found laying in the yard from a previous owner of the property. This lumber I used as a "frame" to attach onto the tree and also as a walking space which birds and other animals sit and enjoy the food. That is pressure treated lumber and will last up to a decade and perhaps longer in some conditions. The mailboxes were going at 22 bux at HomeDespot, the last time I had to replace one which was destroyed by a bear.

If you're into building one that lasts a bit longer than typical wood materials do, then this is one idea to consider. I don't like rebuilding them from entirely wood materials because they rot too quickly.

The reason why I say it's cheaper is because they last at least 3 lifetimes more than pure wood construction ones do.

PXL_20231223_195009323.jpg

Kid's whacked a few off that already.

If they get smashed up by a bear or other animal they can still be salvageable sometimes. In those cases the test is if I can bend the metal back into place and then drill holes in and use rivets to repair it.

Not sure you could tell but the way you responded makes me think you are talking about human lifetimes. I was talking about standard wood framed builds and this one I have. It lasts about the lifetime of 3 wooden framed setups of the typical variety. Likely longer if a bear doesn't destroy them.

Last edited: