Let the rubbing begin! (Pic heavy)

I've had this "block of wood" ;) sitting around for quite a few months waiting for me to get to it. I started on it today by hand sanding it down with 400 grit then I followed that by rubbing it with 000 synthetic wool. I use synthetic over steel wool so that there's no chance of leaving bit of steel behind that could corrode later. I'll rub it again with 0000 synthetic wool before moving on to final cleaning. 

201eb90a2b92a444fa384b7fc9a2f867.jpg

10947195899f020a06271c4258d986c8.jpg

bbe4f0b8e6bb94782df1bc4447fa8e1c.jpg

6c55c19988921768a157cbf3c65a1a50.jpg

cd29b33615e5390b65c79bbb9a77020e.jpg

ed122f874335c555c933f0dd3e9e1597.jpg

For those of you that own a Royale - Beware! The older stocks were made for the older metal bottles. The new Carbon Fiber bottles are fatter and WILL cause a fit issue. 
2.378" (The leather boot actually makes the metal bottle fatter than the CF one! 2.46")
c95aa619ecb3f4dbd92d3c0b84a66611.jpg

2.442" 
c97202e73e3dabda4b5c7bef2638071f.jpg

You'll have to do some inletting on an older stock if you replace your metal bottle with a CF one. You could also shim the stock so that it sits farther away from the action by putting a washer between the stock and the action. If you did that you'd still have 2 points of contact 1 at the stock screw and the other would be the front of the stock pushing on the bottom of the bottle. If you look at pictures of Royales you might notice that the gap between the bottle and the barrel is not in line. In some cases the bottle will actually be pushed up to the point of touching the barrel. If you inlet, your contact point will be the length of bottom of the action which is much better. 
I used a dremel with a sanding bit to SLOWLY and CAREFULLY sand out the areas where the bottle was conflicting with the stock. There ate two areas, one is the very tip of the CF and the other is at the apex of the bottles curve. If you attempt doing this, take your time, use slow speeds, and do not rush. You could also use a more aggressive grit and hand sand this area by wrapping the sandpaper around the bottle (grit side out) and then use the bottle as a sanding block. 
I wasn't overly concerned with esthetics since this area is hidden by the bottle so, I opted for the Dremel. 
The area that is the trickiest is right at the edges. Both at the top of the stock and at the bottle curve. One little "oops" could easily leave you with a gouge. 
e4006548f5ecd3d4c0f08eeb4101e65b.jpg

Here it is with my other grade 2 stock, ready to be cleaned and finish applied. I can get a sneak peek of what it will look like by applying a thin coat of paint thinner. My final cleaning will consist of shooting compressed air at the stock which should help remove any leftover sanding dust that may have settled into microscopic void spaces in the grain. Then, I'll go over it with paint thinner to pick up any dust or debris that might be left behind and then probably shoot it with compressed air again. 
6f0bded832ce516fbc65b9ce912f3357.jpg

A little paint thinner,
4c15723a51a21e3a68130860190448d7.jpg

A little more paint thinner,
d123a91311373a4cb16ebe5a131b9a9c.jpg

I'll be using the finishing process mentioned in this thread by T3PRanch. 

I'm also going to get my Streamline stock prepped and ready as well since it came with such a pretty stock. :)
2d90f059eebaa0e38fd39400f2134fb9.jpg

Happy Shooting!
Tom

@douger - Thanks! :)

@cahil_2 - Nope. The Streamline came with that one and the Royales are the grade 2 Walnut option. 

@Dirte - Thanks! I got lucky with the Streamline. The Grade 2 option for the Royales costs more $. But, the effect is a gorgeous piece of Walnut. The downside is everybody drools all over your rifle. lol! 

As you can imagine, the pictures do not do the wood justice. When you see it in person, it takes on a whole new life. 
Tom

That is a nice looking piece of wood!

As a little tip for easy inletting for the bottle area or for an air tube, (or if you need to repair an inletting area you accidentally screwed up: you can carve out a slightly wider area than the bottle. Then, loosely wrap the bottle (or air tube) in window tint film and tape it in place. Make it loose enough to slide off easily but tight enough to keep the shape. Then spread a little black epoxy putty on the inletting area (one with a shore hardness of at least 80) and add the action (with the wrapped bottle) and let it set. It's like glass bedding without any risk it sticking. The tint film will just peel off when it's dry. Epoxy putty doesn't run into other areas like regular glass bedding compound either. 

if the bottle or cylinder is removable, you can make the imprint in the putty and slide it out so it can set in the right shape without the bottle being there. 

The only thing I would add is to be careful on a stock like that. The walls around the bottle inletting look quite thin in the pics. I've split wood like that with power tools before. It's easily done.... I have been doing ok with a Proxxon pen sander for jobs like that though. It's a fairly cheap tool if you are doing more than one.

Anyway....it looks great! Post a pic of the finished project with the action when you're done.

Here's a quick update:
I'm 4 coats in. Got about another 15-20 to go. Going to sand down and put another coat on tonight. They're really looking terrific! 
The light is very flat today so, I used the flash to help show off what they look like. Of course, pictures will never be able to do justice to the beauty in real life. 
The Royale stock...

The Streamline - I tossed the action back in it so you all could get a better idea. 

I hope to post a video to help show off the details a little better (when I list them both For Sale). 

Thanks for looking! 
Tom

"Paulcat"Makes me wish I'd forked out the extra cash for Walnut over the synthetic on my Royale.
But I wouldn't forgive myself for putting a mark in timber that nice.
Nothing beats a really nice piece of timber on a rifle. It really makes it stand out. But, if you are going to go running through the woods and treat it rough, the synthetic is the way to go. It's also a bit lighter. 

The standard Walnut adds $150 to the price. The grade 2 adds another $200 (IIRC) to that price. So, you'd be at ~1850 and that's for an unfinished stock. You'll still have to dedicate a few weeks (or month) to finishing the stock while it's off the rifle. Not to mention the expenses for the materials required for finishing and the time to learn how to do it. This is my 4th Royale stock for my 2 Royale's so, I am able to keep shooting while the stock goes through this process. 2 grade 2's, 1 Synthetic, and 1 Right Hand specific walnut. The RH stocks are hard to find these days but, they are SOOOOO comfortable when you're behind the trigger! 
Finishing a nice stock like this is really an act of appreciation for the natural beauty of the wood. It's a test of patience as well. The more coats you apply, the better it looks, the more you want to rush it to the finish line! It has definitely gotten harder for me to not rush this process, lately. But, I want these to come out right and really shine for their next owner, whoever that might be.

Update: Both stocks are coming along really nice. I plan on posting some pics maybe Wed. Those fuzzy/gritty areas that are highlighted by the glare in the pics above are fading into a nice smooth glossy finish. I'm going through sandpaper and synthetic wool like a mad man and my hands are getting stronger from all the rubbing too! lol I've also gone through most of my movie library. It takes about "1 movie" to prep both stocks for the next coat of finish. (I just came across the Dean Martin variety show box set and am making my way through it. :D )
Tom

Curiosity got the better of me when you quoted the prices Tom. A R400 has a$300 extra for Walnut,aR500 has $400 added.Must be some additional lumber there.Sorry,these are Australian prices.R4 Synth-$1949,Walnut$2299.R5 Synth $1999,Walnut $2399. No mention of Grade 2.
Based on a $1Aus=76 cents US. R4S $1471,R4W1735 R5S $1509 R5W $1811.
So to my surprise,buying an FX locally compares favourably with prices listed at AOA.
Anyway,better go clean the drool off my chin after looking at that Royale stock of yours again.

Well, the stocks are done! I don't have any pictures right now and, honestly, pictures would not do then any justice. However, I have taken videos of them both to compliment my WTS ads in the classifieds section. Here's the videos... Streamline Royale
This is not an attempt to advertise outside the classifieds section! It's just a way for someone following this thread to see the final results. 

I've got about 25 coats on them both. The process is a long, tedious, and frustrating one. As you get closer to finishing, the reflections seem to highlight areas in a certain way to make them look like they need more attention whether they do or not! From an OCD/perfectionist point of view, this is incredibly frustrating. As a hobby woodworker, staining and finishing always drives me up a wall! 
You have to keep reminding yourself during the process... "It will be worth it in the end." IMO, it is worth it. The Royale stock is expensive. But, if it were cheap, everyone would have one. The finishing process is tedious. But, if it were quick and easy, everyone would do it. 
I got lucky with the Streamline stock. And, since it was such a nice piece of wood I thought it deserved the attention. 
I did both of these stock simultaneously to help save on time and money. Mostly, time! As much as it may seem like I did not enjoy this process, I actually did enjoy it very much and I'm looking forward to some other stocks I have that have been waiting. 
Thank you all for the compliments. 
Tom