• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Leshiy 2 Pre-Flight Checklist

Hi guys, it’s been a while! Thought I’d share my experience with the Leshiy 2 REPR.30 cal.

**I’ll eventually do a short video on Instagram ( @airgunner.usa ) and share the journey with this super cool, somewhat quirky, totally badass PCP! **

Magazine Indexing Issues:

>CHECK THE ROLLER. And I mean closely, with a magnifying glass, or a well focused and zoomed cel pic. 

>DO NOT remove or install the barrel unless the barrel retaining ring is rotated to clear the mag roller as its sliding out and back in. I learned this the hard way! If the roller is marred, you’ll chase your tail. If it’s damaged (at all), it’s probably your fault. REPLACE IT. **On that note- a card saying “STOP. Read before barrel removal” in the box with the gun would have saved a lot of headache. Searching YouTube videos after the damage is done isn’t the Pro Tip Of The Day, haha.

>Assuming an intact roller, get to work fine-tuning the magazine tension using the set screw. I basically removed the scope and started dumping shots while turning it each direction until it failed, and going to the middle.

>I’ve found that magazine index tuning can be a moving target, depending on projectile and working pressures. Example: I was so excited to replace my mangled roller, adjust mag tension, then dump 17 mags without a single hang up, (from 3100 psi..) The next day, I started fresh at 250BAR fills (about 3600psi) and the gun hung up every 2-3 shots, but improved as bottle pressure dropped. Determined to stay with a 250BAR fill, I began backing off the reg, and VOILA—No more indexing issue. I wish I could put a number to what reg pressure was too high, and what’s just right. I will be ordering a digital gauge from Brian at EGW. That’ll also make note-keeping and caliber / barrel swaps easier by being able to dial to whatever reg pressure you find works best with a given barrel or projectile combo. I was pushing JSB 44.75’s at 880fps from a 13 3/4” (350mm) barrel. It can be done! The last .30 cal I had (RAW) was making that kind of power, but needed a 24” barrel to do it. Backing the reg down not only got the gun running reliably, it’s become easier to shoot, uses a whole lot less air, and accuracy has improved immensely - More on that in another post!

>I’ve also observed that indexing can be effected by the diameter of the projectile. Example: The recommended.3033” AVS slugs fail to index, while JSB’s cycle just fine. The slugs are a VERY tight fit in the magazine (and are 10 grains heavier). I enlarged the chambers in one of my magazines and it fires pellets and slugs reliably, without having to adjust anything. The other mag, I can only feed pellets.

>The no-brainers: Be sure the barrel is fully seated as you tension the retaining bolts. Keep the cocking arm and wheel clean and loosy-goosy. Check that the actuator(?) that engages the magazine isn’t damaged. 

Accuracy

>Mine was absolute crap while fighting a losing battle with a mangled roller. If the gun isn’t indexing smoothly and reliably, the pellets aren’t always aligned with the barrel, and they won’t leave the muzzle intact. Sometimes they leave bits of evidence, like little lead clippings in the barrel for the next pellet to run into. 

>Moderator damage: Those clippings and deformed pellets can really beat up the mod. I have the 50mm HUMA and the baffle sections are beat up from random bits flying by. Now, after correcting the REAL problem with my gun (the cocking roller I mangled out of ignorance) the gun is more accurate without the mod. I plan to replace it.

>Once again, reg pressure. This is common knowledge, and something we all like to do- tinker and tune. The transverse reg in the REPR sure makes it easy! Mine keeps shooting better and better as I back off the reg about 1/32 of a turn at a time. Very sensitive and instant gratification. Can’t wait to install a digital reg gauge and feel like Edgun should at least offer it as an option on the gun. 

The Takeaway— 1) Indexing issues are easy to fix. I’d be willing to bet that user error (damaged roller) is the culprit more often than not. 2) Chill on the reg pressure, as their seems to be a threshold. 3) Embrace mag tension fine-tuning 4) Properly seated barrel and clean parts that move and rotate freely. 

This is what little I’ve learned thus far, but I hope it helps!!

Brian 

Reactions: gerryccw
@brian.in.mi I am happy to hear you got the issues fixed. However, it sounds like you got a gun that came out of the box with several issues and you had to resolve them. What do you mean by "Mine was absolute crap while fighting a losing battle with a mangled roller." ? Did it come like this?

When I had my 177 L2 it definitely came very hot, once I backed off the pressure to get the pellets around 900 fps accuracy improved. However, I sold it and the new owner seems very happy with it. Next year I plan to get another L2, and most likely in 30 cal like yours.

@brian.in.mi I am happy to hear you got the issues fixed. However, it sounds like you got a gun that came out of the box with several issues and you had to resolve them. What do you mean by "Mine was absolute crap while fighting a losing battle with a mangled roller." ? Did it come like this?

When I had my 177 L2 it definitely came very hot, once I backed off the pressure to get the pellets around 900 fps accuracy improved. However, I sold it and the new owner seems very happy with it. Next year I plan to get another L2, and most likely in 30 cal like yours.

NO - The mangled roller was MY doing. Right out of the box, the trigger shoe needed a minor adjustment. Brian at EGW walked me through it, but it involved barrel removal. I wasn’t aware from Day1 of the importance of proper barrel removal and he probably assumed I was. So in fixing a minor issue, I created a major one by flat-spotting the roller. I posted this thinking I can’t be the first to do that, but I hope I’m the last! Lol. 

Brian, good post. Mine is doing EXACTLY as you described, but I have never removed my barrel and I do not remove my magazine for loading. I have .25 with 350 barrel shooting 750fps, so I doubt it's the regulator setting.

Sounds like your mag-roller should be fine, and you’re not getting crazy on the reg like I tried to. Hopefully it’s just a simple magazine tension adjustment. All I did was remove the scope so I could shoot and dial the mag tension back and forth at the same time. There’s definitely a sweet spot, but it wasn’t hard to find. I assume you already checked / cleaned the other stuff. I just shot my .30 REPR for 2 hours and it didn’t miss a beat. A week ago I was pulling my hair out with a flat-spotted roller bearing.