• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Leshiy 2 explodes

This whole conversation of blowing up a plenum is entertaining. First off - that's not even where the explosion occurred in the L2 in question. Second - a plenum is never going to fully empty. As soon as the pressure starts to drop off the regulator begins refilling it. Even shooting my L2 at 107fpe in .30 I've not seen the plenum drop more than 10-20 bar after a shot. Even with sustained fast shooting through the mag the plenum is never more than 20 bar down from reg pressure.

This whole conversation of blowing up a plenum is entertaining. First off - that's not even where the explosion occurred in the L2 in question. Second - a plenum is never going to fully empty. As soon as the pressure starts to drop off the regulator begins refilling it. Even shooting my L2 at 107fpe in .30 I've not seen the plenum drop more than 10-20 bar after a shot. Even with sustained fast shooting through the mag the plenum is never more than 20 bar down from reg pressure.
I covered this, but like I said what if the valve froze due to the cold temps. Air liners go down because of parts freezing. From the pics the air tank is intact, so after the air tank should be the regulator then the plenum. Unless the Leshiy 2 has another chamber before the regulator then IDK. Think about it, you have 190 bar rushing back to fill the plenum and an explosion from oil being pressurized and heated. Anyways it's a far better option than it has sharp edges lol.

I did read this whole topic, 35 pages, took me a couple of days, felt a sleep a couple of times, but I survived.
After all this crap in this topic I decided to sell my Maverick and buy the L2 from Ed. I think its the perfect gun for me.
Respect for Ed the creator and businessman.
Peace to you all

Pics or it didn't happen

• Haha
Reactions: JaceSpace1369
As promised......
20230616_111838.jpg

I did read this whole topic, 35 pages, took me a couple of days, felt a sleep a couple of times, but I survived.
After all this crap in this topic I decided to sell my Maverick and buy the L2 from Ed. I think its the perfect gun for me.
Respect for Ed the creator and businessman.
Peace to you all
That is funny, I did the same thing, but not from reading this article. The Maverick VP just got to heavy and cumbersome to carry for hunting the woods.
Haven't even sighted mine in yet.
IMG_7428.jpg

Go look up how a diesel engine works https://www.explainthatstuff.com/diesel-engines.html , even gas engines can diesel when they have too much carbon build up. https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/Why-My-Engine-Keeps-Running .
Here is an quote from the article on diesel engines I linked, "in a diesel engine, the air is compressed by anything from 14 to 25 times." 1 bar is equal to 100,000 Pascals, which is close approximately to atmospheric pressure. So if 1 bar is atmospheric pressure, these air guns are holding 250 to 300 bar or 250 to 300x atmospheric pressure. Lets do the math, 300/25 =12 in other words 12x more compression than the 25x compression in a diesel engine. Over kill to cause a diesel explosion if their is an adequate amount of oil in the plenum.

In this thread the OP ask how much do I need to compress air to raise the temp from 20 c to 100C, https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/temperature-of-compressed-air.341969/ . The answer at the end of the thread is "So you would need to increase pressure to 2,513 psi if you started from atmospheric pressure." Wait for it, 300 bar is equal to 4351 PSI. BTW 100C is 212 F.
If the initial air temperature is 20°C and it is compressed from 1 bar to 300 bar, the approximate final temperature would be around 606.3°C. Final temperature of 606.3°C, when converted to Fahrenheit, is around 1123.34°F. More than ideal conditions to cause a diesel explosion if enough oil is present and vaporized.

So when you fire and empty the plenum and it suddenly fills there is an increase in temperature. I know that we are not dumping the plenum all the way down to 1 bar when we fire and whatever your reg is set to is the new fill pressure but you get the point. Lets consider the scenario in which this happened. Cold conditions(freezing), perhaps the valve that is supposed to open on the regulator froze shut for a second and allowed the plenum to fully discharge. Then the pressure of the tank over comes the stuck valve and opens. You would have a sudden and large temperature spike and if oil is present and now dispersed into to tiny droplets you would have an internal explosion inside of the plenum.

We have to consider all possibilities, I don't own a Edgun leshiy 2. Nor will I ever unless someone donates one to me or I find a good deal, it's just out of my price range. If someone sent me one or offered me one I would take it gladly without fear of it exploding in my face.

There is the a saying "a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link." In air guns I've seen O-rings and Poppet valves fail and consider these as the weakest links in these air gun designs. Part of me wonders if there is a way to redesign these air guns to use something else with less failure rates as O-rings, but I rather have an O-ring fail than have a new method that is so much better that the next weakest link becomes actual plenum or air tank. So in a sense the O-rings are the fuse that prevents bigger catastrophic failures.
What most people on here don't remember, a diesel draws in ambient air which contains energy aka heat. It then compress it to something like 650 psi (?) Not sure on that number but hot enough so when the fuel is injected it ignites. Airgun hp reservoirs heat up when we pressurize them because we're squeezing the air molecules closer together. What was once was 1 cubic foot of air and the energy it contains is now say 1/4 of a cubic foot of air. Not sure of the math as don't know if it's a simple 4 times the heat or if it's cubed but it gets a lot hotter. The heat from when we fill our PCP is then drawn off to the surrounding parts of the gun and the air surrounding the gun aka the energy dissipates. Ever wonder when using a compressed air drill or grinder why it gets so cold. When we shoot our PCPs the air gets colder not hotter. Cold air will not diesel. It takes heat. Now a springer is more like a diesel and that's why we need to use pure silicone oil in them.

What most people on here don't remember, a diesel draws in ambient air which contains energy aka heat. It then compress it to something like 650 psi (?) Not sure on that number but hot enough so when the fuel is injected it ignites. Airgun hp reservoirs heat up when we pressurize them because we're squeezing the air molecules closer together. What was once was 1 cubic foot of air and the energy it contains is now say 1/4 of a cubic foot of air. Not sure of the math as don't know if it's a simple 4 times the heat or if it's cubed but it gets a lot hotter. The heat from when we fill our PCP is then drawn off to the surrounding parts of the gun and the air surrounding the gun aka the energy dissipates. Ever wonder when using a compressed air drill or grinder why it gets so cold. When we shoot our PCPs the air gets colder not hotter. Cold air will not diesel. It takes heat. Now a springer is more like a diesel and that's why we need to use pure silicone oil in them.
The air gets cold when high pressure is released to atmospheric pressure after the projectile exits the barrel.

That said. I think the subject matter of this thread has a high level of BS within it.