• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Least expensive FT rifle you’d recommend

If you can find a used Brocock Bantam Hi-Lite in .177, that would be a very good inexpensive FT rifle to start off with. The last year's model without the HR or Mk2, or Huma regulator. Just the plain old Brocock Bantam with the carbon fiber 480cc bottle. Lightweight, accurate, good trigger, many accurate shots per fill. Shoots the JSB 10.3 grain pellets at right under 20 FPE. Should be able to find a good one for around $700, give or take $50.

I was also wondering if my Daisy 753 could be used for FT. I’m guessing the need to pump it and lack of magnified optics would be a problem, but I’m not sure why. I haven’t observed a match yet, so I’m kind of ignorant. Sorry.

When I get a FT rifle, I was thinking of putting a fixed 4x scope on it that I already have. That would allow me to spend more on the rifle. Yes? No?

Pewpew, you need more magnification for your scope. Using the scopes parallax adjustment is how you range find the targets. Hunter class is limited to 16X and using hold overs. WFTF & Open, you can also click & use the Hubbel telescope if you want. No limit to magnification. You would really be hamstringing yourself with a 4X scope. If you could attend a match & see other shooters rigs would really help you get started.

You have PCP and spring divisions in FT. If you're willing to compete in the Spring division (esp in under 12fpe WFTF), you can get a Weihrauch hw97. If you look at the list at intl WFTF competition. I think over 50% was using the hw97. I bought mine fr Krale for under $400 delivered. Add a scope, practice like hell and maybe you're ready for world class competition. No need for air compressors.

Good Luck and have fun !!

Assuming any inexpensive PCP will undergo somewhere between a bit and a lot of monkeying either by necessity or just curiosity, the cheapest PCP that I might recommend is a Umarex Gauntlet. It is essentially a regulated-bottle QB; and a home-converted (to regulated-bottle) QB has finished as high as second place in field target National Championships (that "champion" has since banned from FT for cheating). I think a Gauntlet goes for a little over $300.

1550107830_12445860525c64c4b6319cf4.01869469_AR Nats trophy.JPG

I have Steyr LP 10s and a 200 BAR tank for those, so I should be able to dealwith most PCP rifles, I think.

I have a Vortex Viper PST 5-15 that has parallax from 20 yards to infinity. It’s currently on a rifle that costs 4 times as much as the scope, so I have been wanting to upgrade that rifle to a Schmidt and Bender. Would the Vortex be a good choice for FT? If I go this route, it will be awhile before I pull the trigger on that purchase.

I’m in the USA, and some of the FT rifles seem to be unavailable here. Does that information change suggestions?

I’ll be honest, I really want the Steyr LG110. I like my Steyr LP10, but in the 10 meter AP category, it’s well known that the Baikal IZH 46M is just as accurate at a quarter the cost. I have them both, but the IZH is so heavy, it hurts me to use it, so I eventually sprang for the Steyr.

Two of you have mentioned the Marauder. Is it as accurate as the Steyr?

I’ll be honest, I really want the Steyr LG110. I like my Steyr LP10, but in the 10 meter AP category, it’s well known that the Baikal IZH 46M is just as accurate at a quarter the cost. I have them both, but the IZH is so heavy, it hurts me to use it, so I eventually sprang for the Steyr.

Two of you have mentioned the Marauder. Is it as accurate as the Steyr?

Be serious ... Not even in the same league !!

You had said Least expensive ... LOL

I started shooting FT with a Marauder years ago, but now shoot either a RAW TM-1000 or Daystates ... so yes, Far Left & Far Right examples.

I started FT with a .22 Cal Benjamin Disco at 17fpe. I was able to be fairly competitive too. 

What is your max budget? That ought to narrow down the recommendations to a few options.

Like Cameron, I started 3 years ago with a .22 Disco and a 3-9 Bugbuster scope. I did just OK. Just enough to realize I liked the game and the challenge. 

Now I shoot a RAW HM1000 with a Hawke Sidewinder ED 10-50. Bottom line is you don’t know what you don’t know about Field Target. Start with the best gun and scope you can afford. 

Is a Marauder as accurate as a Steyr? From the factory, no. With an almost complete retrofit of everything but the air tube, perhaps close. But by the time you have replaced all of those elements (FT stock, hammer, spring, valve, transfer port, trigger upgrade, Match barrel, Huma Regulator, etc), you have more than tripled the cost of the Marauder. Don't get me wrong, I like the Marauder (I own one). And yes, it is a repeatable sub-MOA rifle (with the copious modifications done to it), but in it's current trim it is way over the max allowed 20 FPE as well. This brings up the second area of the challenge, which is being accurate at a low FPE figure..... which adds to the equation.

One rifle I think you should consider is the Air Arms S200 FT. Here's a link:

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Air_Arms_S200_FT/348

It's a bit more than a Marauder,But not that much more ($100 ish) and a much better gun. 

I wouldn't try and shoot field target with any of the $200 - $300 PCP's out there. The triggers are terrible.

I would second what addertooth just said about spending lots of money and upgrading a low end PCP. Might as well just get one that will perform the way you want it to. 

My two cents,

Chas

There are too many combinations to choose from. Spend money on a good rifle, look for a deal like I did but in the mean time shoot what you got. 

A marauder fully tuned by Motorhead will keep up with a Steyr or a Thomas 9/10 days with a capable shooter. That would make it a good HFT gun out of the gate without an adjustable stock etc. You can upgrade those things later. For the cost of the gun, and a Full tune with a LW barrel, regulator and a lightweight hammer with a SSG you would be able to get a full powered 18-19fpe .177 capable of over 100 shots per fill. I've shot a few of his rifles and he is one of very few people I would let work on my guns.

Luckily the season have really started yet and you have a little time to cruise the forums. Post a WTB FT rifle ad and see what people bring to your attention.

Sometimes you see LG110 rifle for a good deal. I bought my wife's for $1250 shipped, I had to tune it and gave it a once over before having her shoot it but a cheap price for a killer gun. 

Just start stashing cash until the best opportunity/ deal arises . Until then go to your nearest club and maybe try and use what you already have or use a loaner gun.

Reactions: Motorhead
One rifle I think you should consider is the Air Arms S200 FT. Here's a link:

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Air_Arms_S200_FT/348

It's a bit more than a Marauder,But not that much more ($100 ish) and a much better gun. 

I wouldn't try and shoot field target with any of the $200 - $300 PCP's out there. The triggers are terrible.

I would second what addertooth just said about spending lots of money and upgrading a low end PCP. Might as well just get one that will perform the way you want it to. 

My two cents,

Chas

The S200 looks interesting. I’m not used to shooting a precharged pneumatic that doesn’t have a manometer. Makes me think I might want to get one that has a manometer.