• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Lead for slugs

Well there is alot of answers to that question. What I would do is start with pure lead and then add a tiny bit of tin for the next batch and more on the next and more on the next until you start seeing problems. Honestly I have only used melted lead and it just works, however much of my lead is cph dug out of my trap. They most certainly have alloy in them. I just don't worry about it but you should do trial and error or start with a recipe that's working for somebody else. Good luck. 

Are you casting or swaging?

I use pure lead when casting for AG use. It's the least expensive, and soft is good. Lube or powder coat your bullets to prevent leading. Adding antimony or tin is used to increase compressive strength of the alloy and is just not needed at AG pressures.

Generally speaking antimony is not needed for airguns but it is needed for guns that shoot the slugs directly from the mag. Gregor discovered that pure lead slugs were being deformed when being shot directly from the Huben mag into the barrel. The added hardness from the antimony prevents damage, thereby increasing accuracy. 
If anyone has tried GTO pellets in their huben and noticed the superior accuracy; it’s because of the hardness of the lead free alloy.

Are you casting or swaging?

I use pure lead when casting for AG use. It's the least expensive, and soft is good. Lube or powder coat your bullets to prevent leading. Adding antimony or tin is used to increase compressive strength of the alloy and is just not needed at AG pressures.

Generally speaking antimony is not needed for airguns but it is needed for guns that shoot the slugs directly from the mag. Gregor discovered that pure lead slugs were being deformed when being shot directly from the Huben mag into the barrel. The added hardness from the antimony prevents damage, thereby increasing accuracy. 
If anyone has tried GTO pellets in their huben and noticed the superior accuracy; it’s because of the hardness of the lead free alloy.

Hi

Thanks for your contributions.

Legionair

I am doing precision testing with my Huben 2020 and I have obtained some good results, and the truth is that there are also quite a few flyers, so I have been able to observe the large size of the pellet housing in the Huben 2020 magazine. 25 cal makes the Slugs remain loose and are not aligned with the barrel and also hit and deform their tips with the barrel when rotating the magazine, I know that there are people who are working on the magazine but have not obtained good results yet

Regards 

Enkey