• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Killing armadillos with a .177

Have you ever hunted Armadillos with anything? They can be rather hard to dispatch. Fla. used to give a $5.00 bounty ( the farmers rather I believe not the State) for each one killed in their Orange grove and we generally used a M-1. Head sgots with a .22mag (rf) do just fine.
.177 airgun will require flawless placement and their heads are an odd shape so not just a head shot. 
Being as a three year old child with a Crayola can kill you, sure a .177 will take out armadillos but it may not be totally human or anywhere near efficient.
John

I've never shot an armadillo although I've seen several while out deer hunting ( with a firearm ) and it seems they are causing problems at my cousin's ranch. I have killed lots of mice with a .177 Marauder so shot placement isn't the issue just wondering if the .177 is enough or do I need to move my night vision gear to the .25 caliber and I don't expect the shots to be very far away. Seems .177 works just fine for squrrels. I'll watch out for those 3 year olds with crayolas !

When my neighbor's lawn was assaulted by an armadillo, he came to me and asked if I could solve the problem with my air rifle. Two months later the opportunity presented itself and I dispatched the critter with a head shot at just under 20 yards. I used the .22 caliber H&N Baracuda Green, 12.65 grain with my TX200. When I shot the armadillo he kibitzed took a half dozen steps and fell dead. At that distance my TX200 was producing about 16 ft/lbs of energy. I'm sure that with a properly placed head shot a .177 could easily do the job.