• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Keeping PCP cocked 'discovery'

I suspect some of you guys may have seen this effect, but I thought I'd share some measurements that seem to be shaping up into a hard to ignore pattern. Please confirm or refute if you have an opinion/data.

So, I got a new tin of pellets (14.35) to try out on my .22 FX Indy. As usual, I first crony the pellets to make sure they are consistent, and only then move to accuracy tests on the range (if crony results are bad, I don't bother with the range at all).

The pellets performed well, but that's not the point. I noticed something interesting. If I keep the gun cocked for a somewhat extended period of time, say 10 min, I almost invariably get a noticeably slower reading on the chrony. 

For example, if I keep the hammer un-cocked while changing the magazines and pumping up the gun (Indy is a pumper, as you know), and take a shot very quickly after putting the magazine in, my first shot in a string is indistinguishable from the rest (6 shots at power setting 2 starting at 192 or so bar), as long as I shoot at a fairly rapid clip, say 5-10 sec or so between shots. If, however, I keep the hammer cocked while loading the mag/pumping/taking a break to take notes, etc, the first shot is almost invariably 1-2% slower than the rest of the string.

Here is an example (just one, its an easy to reproduce pattern)

708 <--- cocked 10 min before shooting, the rest are shot quickly one after another

No break

718 <---- cocked just before shooting

The effect is small, of course, but I still found it curious. Is hammer spring getting 'tired' a bit over the course of several minutes?

This is probable do to a slight leak in the valve. If you don't charge the valve by cocking it then its not a problem. It is also somewhat normal for regulators to do this as well. If its been a few minutes since I took a shot during target shooting for group size I will wast the first shot. It always seems to be slow. When starting a shooting session I will take a few warm up shots just to let the regulator settle in. Seems to help with consistency.

I believe Dan is refering to the hammer spring? If you leave a PCP cocked for along enough time, the hammer spring can take a set and change your velocity. Some tuners will actually make a spring "take a set" on purpose so that this phenomenon doesn't happen latter down the road to the owner of the gun.
A hammer spring is actually a "wear" item and could need replaced at some point over the life of the gun.

In this instance, I would lean more towards 30's explaination but wouldn't discount hammer spring having an effect as well.

"30cal"This is probable do to a slight leak in the valve. If you don't charge the valve by cocking it then its not a problem.
Forgot to clarify, FX Indy is unregulated, of course (you just discover the sweet spot(s) you like and pump to that after a few shots.
30cal, can you clarify what you mean by 'charging the valve'? Is that a regulator jargon, or will it apply to unregulated PCPs as well?

ajshoots, hammer spring set is my prime suspect as well, though I am a bit surprised its still not 'set', I've left it cocked for days, sometimes, over the course of the past year.

Thanks!

It has probably taken a set, but springs can still do odd things so I would not discount hammer spring as still being a possible suspect.

I should have payed closer attention but was unaware that an indy isn't regulated. 30's comments don't apply to unregged systems as pressure is constant on the valve and only varies based on remaining pressure in the tube on an unregged gun.