• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Just getting started at 55!

So in about 6 months I will be retiring to Oregon after working across the entire US. I'm currently in California, San Diego area.

I would like to start airgunning for the first time and am looking into a PCP to start things off. I have a Break barrel, but its a cheap Walmart special Crosmen Fury. After a ton of research I am thinking about the Puncher Breaker in 25cal. In terms of longevity, how do you guys feel this will hold up with daily rabbit hunting?

I have never shot a PCP, only CO2 and Break barrels. I have been focused on learning what I can before I make the plunge and a few times wondered if I should start with a "cheaper" PCP, like the Gamo Urban in 22 first..?

I know I will be critter hunting with it, so I focused on 25 over 22 because it may get as big as coons.
I was looking at the Umarex Gauntlet, (like everyone else) but I think it will be too heavy and bulky for field use.

I think I can get a tank and the rifle for about $800. I feel that's a good way to commit to the cause.

I'm actually going to either sell an AR15 package or a Compound Bow package to fund this little adventure.

Thank you for that link. I'm going to read it now.

Umo. It will get a lot more expensive than that unless you buy something like the Maximus (not sure if .25 available) and a hand pump. There is a lot of info here, most of it has already been asked. Dig around and learn as much as you can before buying something. 

The way it usually goes though: you will buy a cheap gun, realize that it’s way fun and addictive and outgrow your gun FAST. Then you buy a more expensive gun.

Make sure you have a source of air (more important than the gun) you will need a tank (SCBA) and probably a compressor or a booster. All those will add up fast. Figure out your budget. Probably best to buy something like a .25 Cricket from Georgia Airguns, or Ernest Rowe. You will have a gun for life. You can find all that info here. 

I have a Kral .22, it gets 72 shots at 35fpe, more than enough for any small furry critters.
There is really no need to jump straight into tanks if you grab a good hand pump. I suggest Hill, mine fills my kral quite easily, I don't break a sweat.

The kral stock .25 is just about that fpe# but not shot count, so in all honesty if you're thinking .25 you'd better get someone to tune that thing to get a little more power out of it.
TroyHammer is really making the Kral platform perform, if I were buying a new Kral I would order it from him, tuned have him add his valve kit & quiet kit, and you are set.
My gun was tuned, and I wouldn't recommend it not gone through by a someone that knows their way around them, and TroyHammer is really making these guns perform.

Find out where your GOING TO GET AIR!
​A tank will cost you $500 or so. Then a gun. Don't go "good enough" cause it isn't. spend bigger up front and save the rebuying. in your position I wouldn't be afraid to go the new regulated Marauder 25. its big and a little heavy but in the $500 area other than that its $1000 and up. hard decisions.

Like Keyman said. Having a place to get air should be number one on your list and make sure they can fill a tank to 4500 psi, or use a hand pump for a bit till you decide this is the hobby or sport you want to spend money on then you can upgrade to a tank if your in for the long haul.
IMHO one of the best starter setups is from Pyramid Air( there are other places too) it’s the Marauder .25 Synthetic Ultimate Bundle for about 750.00 delivered to your door, I’m not pushing any one brand of Airgun but the Marauder in .25 is one of the most sold airguns out there and there are a lot of nice mods you can do to it also and for what you have budgeted you can’t go wrong with the Marauder, it’s a proven platform and will take small game from squirrels to Fox size animals, just need to practice practice practice and do your part...
Good luck in your quest and Welcome to the Forum...

"Keyman62421"Find out where your GOING TO GET AIR!
​A tank will cost you $500 or so. Then a gun. Don't go "good enough" cause it isn't. spend bigger up front and save the rebuying. in your position I wouldn't be afraid to go the new regulated Marauder 25. its big and a little heavy but in the $500 area other than that its $1000 and up. hard decisions.
I thought the regulated model was only in .22, maybe.177. Recall hearing that they were not regulating the.25. Did that change? If so I may get froggy and jump on one. 

I checked out Annihilator and Troy Hammer. I think for $800 I will be getting a good deal on a tuned Kral. I am more concerned with easy in thick brush so I am wary of long heavy rifles. I'm not worried about air source, I am an technician / engineer, worked on everything from F14 Fighters, to Abrams Tanks to Dishwashers and Refrigerators. I'll make what I need if I lack the strength to pump it up...HAHAHA. I saw the post of the air pump connected to a small motor. I could rig one of those up in a weekend if I had to. I have an old pool pump which has a high torque motor. I could also hook up / buy a cheap garage door motor, a trash compactor motor .... Heck in the time I was typing thing I figured out how to modify that stupid stationary bike I never use...LOL I'll pedal my air tank to 290 bar!

Don't over think air, I'm 52 and have no problem hand pumping to 3000psi, just grab the Hill pump and you're set, that's the good thing about getting a tuned gun, not a whole lot you have to do other than shoot the hell out it.

Troy knows his stuff I forget the shot count he's getting these days but I know he's getting 50fpe or so for at least 4/5+ magazines which is exceptional.

I usually take my 72 shot .22 out with just my hand pump to back it up, I haven't ever got to my pump yet.
I love my Hill pump.

Umo, welcome.e to the obsession. I am drawn to the Kral Guns like a moth to flame. Do you shoot left or right shoulder? My biggest concern is that the bull pup design is not know to be lefty friendly...so a traditional rifle platform will take precedence in my wish list. The Urban would be a nice little carbine for brush busting, fer sure. The Kral does have the adjustment for the power level and comes in .25. oh man, here I go again! I have been looking for another gun for almost a year now...and it keep coming right back to the same spot. Too many guns and not enough time to love them all.

PCP is a different beast from the break barrel, and much more power than the co2 guns. Any which way you go, enjoy your journey and share with us what you are up to.

Thank you for your service, enjoy that retirement!